Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
29117 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

[ Edited ]
Nov 30, 2012

julie_love wrote:

The managers are obviously communicating with someone in the community. Namely advertisers and developers. They coordinate weekly ad updates and new releases and we're seeing more material being released by more developers than ever.

Looking back it seems pretty obvious that around the time of the theater rope debate Home managers got together and realized that they could completely ignore community posts to the forum with little or no financial impact to Home. That seems to be about the time that they stopped responding here on the forums.

They do need to respond to developers since it seems that they see them as their main customers. Developers do respond to community feedback because they rightly see the Home community as their direct customers, the Home management team doesn't anymore.

As Chad has pointed out there are enough impulse buyers to keep Home profitable even when there is a drop off in long time users that either find Home boring, or are tired of the freezes and bugs that are ever present i

And sadly that rope is still there probably close to a year after Locust Star assured the community it was going to be removed and that the space would be updated. I do believe he said the update was in the cue and that it would only be a matter of time. That is still a big disappointment to me personally especially after the public decision and announcement that it would be removed. 

We've never really had the level of communication here as compared to the EU for whatever reason. 

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 189 (465 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

Nov 29, 2012
Ive always found homes communication lacking but it is non existant these days. It seems the powers that be spent all their time and energy in making the relaunch of home a year ago aand once it came out they just dropped off the map. The rope, the fact that their hasnt been a "quest" since valentines day i believe. Among other countless other things.

They have no pride in their product anymore and its all about the bottom line now, well they are more shameless about it, they keep it semi working so users can empty their wallets. I was saying long ago that those that ran home shouldve been fired long ago and that community was just a gimmick to make people think they cared.

Sony is in the toilet though so im sure they arent looking to spend money and the energy on home. They just need it to be semi functional so users can spend money and thats what they seem to be spending their effort on, making sure items can be bought and finding the balance between pricing things high but not to high that people complain more or god forbid stop buying.
Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 189 (457 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
4477 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

Hey guys,

Sorry about being late to the dance on this one.  It's been busy around here, especially with a short week last week, and winter holidays right around the corner.

Before I get rolling, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for not being able to answer all of the questions asked in this thread.  I'll answer what I can, speak to what I can, and then check back again in a few to see if I can clarify anything that needs clarification.

First: Locust, Glass and myself still work for Sony/SCEA. As has been mentioned in this thread the scope of our responsibilities has increased dramatically in 2012, particularly since April.  Our responsibilities have grown to include all of Digital Platforms for SCEA.  This includes things like Home, Network, Store, Mobile, etc.  We've got a much larger canvas to fill and it's been an amazing first half year getting our team rolling.

Secondly, I think it's important to understand that, as it pertains to to Home, there's a small difference between SCEE and SCEA.  The Eu teams are much more focused on the core of Home itself.  It's their specialty. SCEA's focus is content QA (read: items) and developer relations.  As such you probably see more from us about the items in the store, than the functionality of Home.  This is unintentionally reflected in the forums, as well.  As you guys have noted, you have a dedicated Support guy in the forums.  That's unique.  Joystick does a pretty solid job, and it's a great advantage to have someone like him around. You also have about 15 Home developer accounts that use these forums.  Some more than others, but I just went through and checked the current special ranks for developers and over 15 of them were Home-specific.  I'm sure you all have noticed, that as time passes, third party development teams provide the lion's share of content.  Their presence here, along with J_W's reflects this regions slant toward content in relation to SCEE's slant toward platform development.  Their forums probably more accurately reflect their specialty, as well.

Finally, even though this CM team has grown in scope, Cade continues to post the weekly update blog for Home on a reliably regular basis.  He also works to interact in those blog posts giving feedback to people there.  Those blog posts are our primary point of conversation for a lot of our services currently. And his polls that are posted each week are a very important tool for many of the folks working on Home products.  That data is very valuable to a lot of people, and is taken very seriously.

Morgan Haro brings you the Store Update post weekly, Cade drops the Home Update, Kristine Steimer carries the torch for Community Spotlight, and I support many of the Mobile developers and PR folk on their blog posts. And that's just blog posts.  The amount of other content that this team works on continues well beyond those few things. We have more goodies cooking in the kitchen, also.  Communication with the whole of the PlayStation family is something we're very focused on.

In this communities' eyes, though, this probably seems like we're talking less.  And that's accurate for you specifically.  We were fortunate enough to have a vibrant forum community that included a growing third party developer participation piece.  We took advantage of that, and we're very happy to see these devs participate on these boards, directly with their fans and critics.  This is a largely unique situation for a platform forum.  One that we're more than happy to let flourish.  We do read these boards, as do the moderators, as do the third party devs.  We do read your blog comments, and evaluate the weekly poll data.  We're paying attention, but talking directly to you a little less.  It may sound lame, but we're infinitely more busy than we were 7 months ago, and we're very confident that third party developer presence in this section of the forums is just as valuable as (if not more than) our presence.

I hope this sort of clarifies where we've been, why things may seem different region-to-region, and why we're confident that the developer presence here is valuable.  I specifically didn't touch the direct tech questions.  I think that many of them have been discussed on this forum before, and those that  haven't typically have a reason why they were not.  I also don't work in moderation, so I can't comment too much about that half of the OP.  I can say, though, that they work pretty hard on these forums and in Home, and that your community is relatively pretty gentle hearted compared to most that they have to deal with in their day-to-day.

As I said, I'll check this thread a little later today and see if I can clarify anything, but I think I've covered just about everything I'd possibly cover on this topic.  

Thank you.  Mostly, thank you for caring enough about Home and your community to have a thread like this even exist. But thank you for being a part of this unique corner of the gaming world. There is very little that's quite like Home, and your presence here is the reason why.  It's something to be proud of, and I'm sure many of you will always be able to view your time on Home as memorable. I know I do.

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 189 (417 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29117 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you so much Tempest for your clarification and input. I know many of us here do appreciate it. And some of us do know you are very busy these days. Many here though do long for more frequent  communication.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 189 (407 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you, Tempest_Fire. I think you've done an admirable job of responding to those who feel that SCEA isn't making any efforts to communicate with its user base. Your hard work is appreciated, and hopefully we'll see even better communication in the future.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 189 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1479 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Tempest_Fire, Appreciate your input and clarification of the new roles among the powers in charge. I only wonder why the same communication model for the Home Support Forum (Joystick_Warrior as the go to SCEA representative) is not used here on the Home General Forum. Having one SCEA representative responsible for disseminating communication and responding/coordinating answers to Forum Members; would be forward moving and alleviate many of the concerns expressed in this thread and past threads about the lack of communication.

Thank You,

Mur

Posted Image
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 189 (355 Views)
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Very True Tempest_fire,  no place like HOME...

Yet you are only one of those that you listed...

Joystick does a pretty solid job, and it's a great advantage to have someone like him around. You also have about 15 Home developer accounts that use these forums.  Some more than others, but I just went through and checked the current special ranks for developers and over 15 of them were Home-specific. 

Morgan Haro brings you the Store Update post weekly, Cade drops the Home Update, Kristine Steimer carries the torch for Community Spotlight, and I support many of the Mobile developers and PR folk on their blog posts. And that's just blog posts.  The amount of other content that this team works on continues well beyond those few things. We have more goodies cooking in the kitchen, also.  Communication with the whole of the PlayStation family is something we're very focused on.

Do you think that is enough for 2 million plus users? (even if at least a 3rd of them are spare account?)

Never mind no need to answer that, don't even want answers anymore...  I don't want to have to ask you that, you seem like a nice person, as well as most of the Folks on the team I have spoken with here in the Mod Team.

I never said that I think the HOME team its self is not doing thier Job, or The Devs for that matter... Yet some of the Stuff I say about the Price Gouging and the Home Community helping let it get this far is true, I saw it happen, and knew it was going to happen before Home was released to the Public, the moral end of some of the Devs was what made me want to leave a world that has the potential of what HOME does... and it seems like no matter how many gamers walk away from HOME or dont buy anything any longer HOME will still prosper. It was a smart start to a very profitable idea... I KNOW i WAS THERE FOR THE TALK ABOUT HOW WE WERE GOING TO CHARGE THE CUSTOMERS... One of the (many) reason I high tailed it away from a company that promised me a dev kit (at a high cost I might add). We all know you and Cade and Joystick and such get involved with HOME and see you on a regular basis. Yet I have also been told that you might not have all that much say in what the community sees for product... weather you have a small hand or not... Not that I am a huge fan of censorship and such, yet do we really need Over sized Bumms and Huge Chests for items, or broken items that never get fixed? Or how about 10 bucks for one Item ( 6 if you as some of my friends, if you count the hands heads legs and such seperate. )  And then after that kinda price turn around and put another a week or so later... ( I know, I know, people actually dish out the money and are happy about it... good for them, yet what about the ones who can not? ) By doing this, sadly you have helped create a fashist environment (By no means am I saying that all are Fashist, cause I know many who are not. ) I like Games, and I do spend Money on them, yet I am one who keeps great care of anything I own, including my games, so I take pride in them as far as content, and if something is broken it comes down in value greatly for me, and the money I do spend is not as much as some, yet I try my best to buget it accordingly... My small amount will not make much difference in HOMEs future, so in that sense, I am not that important in the buisness sence, same is true for the individuals, seeing that they are all just one... and a few times I thought that the Masses would help fix that , yet it has not...

Not all Devs and Companys have our best interest at mind, which is a Communication and Moral issue, yet business is to look out for the company first... I understand this, don't like it, yet have no way to change it. Even though we are taught that HOME is ours... we are a community. Home is not ours, it belongs to the ones with the full pockets, now, we are just along for the ride we all paid for... I enjoy rides, yet this one many times makes me sick... 

Anyway, thanks Tempest_fire for atleast comming in here to let us know you havent abandoned the Home community... yet sadly your community is owned and operated by something that uses tacktics like the Connector conspiracy stuff we have been looking at threw Xi... lol Teams Like Ndreams use things thought up by other people and make money off it... smart yet wrong in eyes like Mine... I know, I saw it first hand. 

I fought like Hell to see that didn't happen at first, yet sadly I was also outnumberd just like your Staff of MODS... 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 189 (347 Views)
PlayStation MVP
32034 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Hey guys,

Sorry about being late to the dance on this one.  It's been busy around here, especially with a short week last week, and winter holidays right around the corner.

Before I get rolling, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for not being able to answer all of the questions asked in this thread.  I'll answer what I can, speak to what I can, and then check back again in a few to see if I can clarify anything that needs clarification.

First: Locust, Glass and myself still work for Sony/SCEA. As has been mentioned in this thread the scope of our responsibilities has increased dramatically in 2012, particularly since April.  Our responsibilities have grown to include all of Digital Platforms for SCEA.  This includes things like Home, Network, Store, Mobile, etc.  We've got a much larger canvas to fill and it's been an amazing first half year getting our team rolling.

Secondly, I think it's important to understand that, as it pertains to to Home, there's a small difference between SCEE and SCEA.  The Eu teams are much more focused on the core of Home itself.  It's their specialty. SCEA's focus is content QA (read: items) and developer relations.  As such you probably see more from us about the items in the store, than the functionality of Home.  This is unintentionally reflected in the forums, as well.  As you guys have noted, you have a dedicated Support guy in the forums.  That's unique.  Joystick does a pretty solid job, and it's a great advantage to have someone like him around. You also have about 15 Home developer accounts that use these forums.  Some more than others, but I just went through and checked the current special ranks for developers and over 15 of them were Home-specific.  I'm sure you all have noticed, that as time passes, third party development teams provide the lion's share of content.  Their presence here, along with J_W's reflects this regions slant toward content in relation to SCEE's slant toward platform development.  Their forums probably more accurately reflect their specialty, as well.

Finally, even though this CM team has grown in scope, Cade continues to post the weekly update blog for Home on a reliably regular basis.  He also works to interact in those blog posts giving feedback to people there.  Those blog posts are our primary point of conversation for a lot of our services currently. And his polls that are posted each week are a very important tool for many of the folks working on Home products.  That data is very valuable to a lot of people, and is taken very seriously.

In this communities' eyes, though, this probably seems like we're talking less.  And that's accurate for you specifically.  We were fortunate enough to have a vibrant forum community that included a growing third party developer participation piece.  We took advantage of that, and we're very happy to see these devs participate on these boards, directly with their fans and critics.  This is a largely unique situation for a platform forum.  One that we're more than happy to let flourish.  We do read these boards, as do the moderators, as do the third party devs.  We do read your blog comments, and evaluate the weekly poll data.  We're paying attention, but talking directly to you a little less.  It may sound lame, but we're infinitely more busy than we were 7 months ago, and we're very confident that third party developer presence in this section of the forums is just as valuable as (if not more than) our presence.

I hope this sort of clarifies where we've been, why things may seem different region-to-region, and why we're confident that the developer presence here is valuable.  I specifically didn't touch the direct tech questions.  I think that many of them have been discussed on this forum before, and those that  haven't typically have a reason why they were not.  I also don't work in moderation, so I can't comment too much about that half of the OP.  I can say, though, that they work pretty hard on these forums and in Home, and that your community is relatively pretty gentle hearted compared to most that they have to deal with in their day-to-day.

As I said, I'll check this thread a little later today and see if I can clarify anything, but I think I've covered just about everything I'd possibly cover on this topic.  

Thank you.  Mostly, thank you for caring enough about Home and your community to have a thread like this even exist. But thank you for being a part of this unique corner of the gaming world. There is very little that's quite like Home, and your presence here is the reason why.  It's something to be proud of, and I'm sure many of you will always be able to view your time on Home as memorable. I know I do.

well theres your problem.

less focus on pumping out items and more focus on Home itself is a good thing.

id gladly give up 10 more pairs of animated wings, or another pay-to-play shootan gaem in Home for a solid and good event.

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 189 (313 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
25625 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Thank you, sir. I think some people will appreciate your input here and have a better understanding of all of your roles here in Home, SCEA and SCEE. Hopefully they will share your message with their friends. More still, hopefully they won't forget what you have posted here...

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 189 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4375 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Sorry Tempest.  I don't mean to sound unappreciative of your response to this thread, but I have to call it like I see it.

Your response didn't really address much of anything that has been raised when it comes to communication from Home administration.

Let's take the three examples of communication and access I listed in my previous post.

Official communication channels with the service provider.

A way of having issues with paid for content solved in a timely, professional, official manner.

Receiving official announcements of service or content changes that may affect them and the services they have already paid for.

Most users are paying for the Home service.  If they have bought content, or given money to Sony in any way for something related to Home, they are paying for the service.  As such these three areas of communication should not only be nice to have, but mandatory.

I will ask about each one specifically.

Official communication channels with the service provider.

We obviously do not have this.  SCEA is the Home Service provider.  Not the third party developers.  SCEA runs the Service, SCEA collects the money.  Using third party developers as a replacement for official communication with the service provider is a cop out and an excuse.  I'm sorry.

Being to busy to provide this level of service to paying customers is not a sufficient reason either.  This is part of the service.  If personnel can't cover what needs to be done, then more personnel is needed.

What does SCEA plan to do about this issue going forward?

A way of having issues with paid for content solved in a timely, professional, official manner.

Relegated to a forum for tech support issues with paid for content does not qualify.

Sony's official Tech support Channels, such as the 1-800 number, handle every support aspect of issues with a person's PSN account and content purchased, except for Home.  Instead it's a forum.  This is inexcusable.

I work in Customer Support for SAAS model service applications and I can tell you handling customer issues this way is a joke.

A forum in no way allows for timely resolutions of issues.  And if the issue involves paid for content, a timely resolution or refund is a fundamental.

Why are paying customers with technical issues still being disrespected this way?

Receiving official announcements of service or content changes that may affect them and the services they have already paid for.

Nothing in your reply offered a cogent excuse for this situation.

I don't care if SCEE is more focused on Core Home functionality.  SCEA still gets notified before the general public does about maintenance periods, down times, patches that can change the user experience with their purchased content, etc.

Why isn't administration posting such here in a timely manner?

Why are we left to hear about it first from some regular user region hoping to Europe?

Again, there is no excuse for that.

Everything you said in your reply just confirmed what I had suspected.  Home administration have gone off to deal with more pressing business.  They only come back to Home, when it is starting to fall off the rails.  Home has been abandoned.

You portray the Forum participation of the third party developers as a better alternative to the presence of Home Administration, but in effect, it is simply being used as placebo to the masses to allow you guys to not have to be here.

I am sorry that Sony is in such a financial state right now, and that cut backs have forced you guys to take on more responsibilities, but that does not excuse the gimping of a service that the majority of users are paying for in one fashion or another.  And yes, proper, official communication channels are part of the service.  If the service is making money, communication in these areas should be mandatory.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 189 (287 Views)