Treasure Hunter
3622 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

@ Danger_Dad.  Thanks, but the point is that we shouldn't have to speculate regardless of how much any of us knows about programming.    These are questions that should be answered by actual Home representatives.  Beyond that its pure speculation, no mater how knowledgable any of us are on the subject. 

Bottom line is that the communication from the Home staff is atrocious.  Here we have this long thread expressing how disappointed we are in the lack of communication on questions and issues about Home, and instead of offering any kind of response, Glass_Walls instead starts a thread basically asking us to respond to an article on the web that is not a very positive portrayal of Home.

There is a real disconnect between the folks running Home and their customers, especially when it comes to problems and limitations of the service.

It's almost like they took a page right out of The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy, and believe that if they cover their eyes to all the complaints or even questions about the service, we will somehow go away.  The problem with that theory is that we are not Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal, and that by ignoring us, they are just making the situation even worse.

- Home has become a special needs child, and Sony is the negligent parent. -

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 189 (242 Views)
Trivia Buff
5986 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

The-Sarge wrote:

myalana wrote:

Since staff won't reply, I'll once again ask if one of the HCVs or someone else "in the know" tell us WHO exactly oversees Home now? Aren't you allowed to tell the community that even?

An answer isn't being given because the answer is no one.

The ship is sailing, there are crew doing their jobs.

Engineers in the Engine room.

Bowsmen on the Deck.

But there is no Captain at the wheel.

No First officer at their side.

No Navigator on duty.

The Bridge is empty.

Maybe a mutiny is in order then.

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 189 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7815 posts

Nov 28, 2012
Seeing as how we pay the bills and keep the lights on I'd say we oversee Home. I dont thibk we have managed ourselves any better than the managers we so desperately want to talk to. The way we the cutomers, users, players, testers, whatever you want to call us berate belittle and shoot down those in authority roles at EVERY turn throughout the course of Home in NA, its kindof understandable why no one wants to deal with us anymore. We are an unruly and ungrateful bunch at times. I, trying to help the community daily see the negativity, the harassment and the bs these people go through to make us happy and get nothing but crapped on for their efforts. Maybe if we all worked cohesively as a community again yes things would change but there DOES need to be a leader again ala GW or Locust_Star. EU works properly because their members contribute. NA fails because of our selfishness. Like I said WE oversee Home through suggestions forums etc. If we give nothing of value I guess we can expect nothing in return? I dunno none of it makes sense, yet it all DOES when you approach from different angles. Would YOU want to deal with US?!?! ^_^
Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 189 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Trivia Buff
5986 posts

Nov 28, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

@ Danger_Dad.  Thanks, but the point is that we shouldn't have to speculate regardless of how much any of us knows about programming.    These are questions that should be answered by actual Home representatives.  Beyond that its pure speculation, no mater how knowledgable any of us are on the subject. 

Bottom line is that the communication from the Home staff is atrocious.  Here we have this long thread expressing how disappointed we are in the lack of communication on questions and issues about Home, and instead of offering any kind of response, Glass_Walls instead starts a thread basically asking us to respond to an article on the web that is not a very positive portrayal of Home.

There is a real disconnect between the folks running Home and their customers, especially when it comes to problems and limitations of the service.

It's almost like they took a page right out of The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy, and believe that if they cover their eyes to all the complaints or even questions about the service, we will somehow go away.  The problem with that theory is that we are not Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal, and that by ignoring us, they are just making the situation even worse.

Oh they respond I believe...just not to most of us. Some have the aforementioned staff on speed-dial and are afforded the luxury of conversing when they choose. They are the ones who usually speak up and defend when such a thread as this is made. I'm just curious why they've been silent thus far.

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 189 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3622 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

smokingpistol wrote:
Seeing as how we pay the bills and keep the lights on I'd say we oversee Home. I dont thibk we have managed ourselves any better than the managers we so desperately want to talk to. The way we the cutomers, users, players, testers, whatever you want to call us berate belittle and shoot down those in authority roles at EVERY turn throughout the course of Home in NA, its kindof understandable why no one wants to deal with us anymore. We are an unruly and ungrateful bunch at times. I, trying to help the community daily see the negativity, the harassment and the bs these people go through to make us happy and get nothing but crapped on for their efforts. Maybe if we all worked cohesively as a community again yes things would change but there DOES need to be a leader again ala GW or Locust_Star. EU works properly because their members contribute. NA fails because of our selfishness. Like I said WE oversee Home through suggestions forums etc. If we give nothing of value I guess we can expect nothing in return? I dunno none of it makes sense, yet it all DOES when you approach from different angles. Would YOU want to deal with US?!?! ^_^

The problem with this theory is two fold.

First, while there is certainly a lot of deconstructive criticism in the form of whining, complaining and ranting, but there is also a great deal of constructive criticism and even just people asking questions that get entirely ignored by the Home staff.

Secondly, if my job depended on happy customers, then YES, I would deal with them.

The sad thing is, much of the bad behavior you have pointed out most likely comes from months and even years of frustration over the unbelievable lack of communication from those in charge. 

- Home has become a special needs child, and Sony is the negligent parent. -

Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 189 (221 Views)
Welcoming Committee
7815 posts

Nov 28, 2012
Oh its a two way street for sure D. Im not excusing anything for them as I myself wonder to the holy high videogame gods to get better management going. Im just saying, i personally got DEATH THREATS in my frigging inbox over writing the tikiween reward list, so yeah Im sure HCVs, managers and devs want to keep communication minimal when users dish out behavior like some do. Its an eye for an eye. If I were to rate the managers relating to ths community as a marriage of sorts id say its 'rocky at best' putting a positive spin and downright 'abusive' of we want to get real. But like a marriage it takes two to tango and if we want to expect certain changes we need to be more willing to work in tandem with those in lead. It just has been so bad over the years now i fear the bond is severred permanently... I know I was surprised out of my *bleep* to see TempestFire respond to me in October about the spend $100 promo. Thats what it takes for a response guys. One hundred bucks.
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 189 (212 Views)
Fender Bender
3119 posts

Nov 28, 2012

I think there is a little confusion about something here, The Forums and HOME are not one and the same, (which might be a little part of the problem) They Try to work together. Try being the key word. I do have to say they are not doing a horrible job based on the numbers. 

We have seen the Forums Change hands so many times, I can no longer count. As for the HOME part, well I can say that some of the Staff here in the NA seem like Cool people, I can't say I know them, yet we should try to remember that they are human, and under a corperation. They might or might not have sold out... Yet if they were not there we would not be here right now having this discution. I have often wondered about what we are talking about here.

What happens when the PS4 comes out, or HOME stops making millions? They would most likely shut Home down, plus its right in the agreement, they can change anything or git rid of the Program any time they like, I have been saying this for a long time. Yet also we should take a step back and look at why we are here complaining about the Communication.

We can not leave all the Devs, MODs, and the Company, or Third Parties, We as the People in a Whole let this happen. It started in the very early stages of HOME... When they shut it off as a community project and made it This company and that Company and Profit over product and customer service. However by no means does this mean that all the people we try to communicate with has this mentality. Staff that we should be communicating with might be just as much in the dark as we are, think about the numbers of How many to compute the information vs how many to process the information plus the confution of Profit mixed in and know that its part of your Job. On top of that also think about How many people who all pull the future of Home in Many different Directions. We all strive for different things, and they take that and narrow it down to how it makes money, so don't blame just them, take a look at the community, we could also be helping a bit more to make the profit margin good enough yet at the same time Fair to us the community it was always us that were the ones who helped set this over indulgence in Profit, They just took advantage of that. How ever that doesnt make it right. 

On the other side anyone who appreciates home as a gamers social network, we can appreciate the idea and want to keep the service around, I mean we have made friends, played hundreds of Games and planned thousands partys, maybe more, Think of the folks we are trying to communicate with that have also been a part of the games, partys and socializing. They could have shut the project down when the money ran out durring the Alpha testing. I think that the Sell out that Happend durring the Making of Xi might have happend cause the Devs ran out of Money and Sony bought them out. Which is How we have HOME, remember how Patrick said something about working a whole year by himself? Maybe that was what happend to the Hub and how we got HOME, so if that was the case... Sony bought Home to save the Project from death, and now they are making money off of it cause they can. 

We as the community made it head in the direction it has, if we didn't buy more products after the broken ones did not get fixed, they would have fixed the old ones before they made more, yet we as a whole kept spending, and still are. So they kept pushing forward. Very smart if you think about it... all the money HOME makes off of us is Perfect Business marketing tacktics and stone cold money view mentality. From the start they wanted to turn the great idea and money losing program into a great idea that makes loads of Jobs and Money. 

I never did agree with the business School stuff I had to take in collage, yet the people running home seemed to pay close attention to those classes, they are doing thier jobs so we can not be fully upset with just them. 

Yes we need more communication to help it move in any direction we as the community would like to see it go, yet also we have to try and be fair about it. Even if the other side does not always play fair. Truth is we can not make them do something, they have to do that on thier own, and they need to have a reason to do so, 

I have many times tried to discuss a HOME Strike, yet Strikes are pushy and kinda mean, plus it could always back fire. There is always the choice of leaving Home and not sinking your money into it, yet if anyone really likes the idea of HOME, (plus a network of Friends who uses home - part of the draw of HOME) thats not really an option. ( Yet I can say I walked away once, and have thought about it a few times.) Then you have what we are doing here... talking about the problems, and the Devs and Mods, can either read it and listen, read it and forget it, or just don't read it at all... yet that is thier choice, in the eyes of the Law, HOME does not belong to us, never did, Also every idea we give them then belongs to them cause of the laws of copyright. Yet with out us HOME would no longer be a money maker, and in that sense it is ours all of ours. Yet that is how it stands... We have not direct say, just the underlying say of weather we are willing to pay the prices to keep something we like. Plus with so many diverse folks, we have the issue of common ground. 

So back to the question, happy with communication, No maybe, yet I feel for the ones doing the job, it must not be easy, maybe the key is not the folks like MODs and Home Staff (at least not all the time) yet with us the community and How we orginize our masses in asking for what we need or want and how wewant to see it done. and Im not saying make one thread with demans, I am saying we can try to make it more orginazed and easier to read. I mean it makes sense if you think about it... There were not as many MODs in the 90s when the site went up, and there were no HOME managers in 07, just Devs and such.  And they wadded threw the Chatter to get where we are today, and it was not always as hard to read or understand as it is now... However that does not by any means mean I think they should not Hire More Solution Staff and Testers along with some Phone system or HOMEs private Glitch reporting page or call center, even a promise that we will have it for more years or so... Not that Patricks web stuff is only leased till 2014, could be when the Sony contract for HOME runs out... if the foot dragging we have seen is because they are only keeping the contract obligation (which is possible) then Dark Days for Home are on the Horizon... and sinking more money into HOME would be a bad buisness move on Sony's part. 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 189 (208 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4288 posts

Nov 28, 2012

Patchex wrote:

I think there is a little confusion about something here, The Forums and HOME are not one and the same, (which might be a little part of the problem) They Try to work together. Try being the key word. I do have to say they are not doing a horrible job based on the numbers. 

You are absolutely right.  The Forums and Home are not the same thing.

Which, naturally, begs the question, why does Sony Customer support refer us to The Forum to deal with technical issues with purchased content on Home?
They themselves have made the Forum the supposed communication point for Home.  As such, they have in effect lumped the two of them together into one administrative entity.
Why then are they not following through with this action? 
Answer = Gone fishing, back at PS4 launch.

I've said it before, Sony's biggest problem, the reason they are in the financial situation they are in, is because they do not know the meaning of the word Synergy.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 189 (189 Views)
Treasure Hunter
2904 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

Patchex wrote:

We have seen the Forums Change hands so many times, I can no longer count. As for the HOME part, well I can say that some of the Staff here in the NA seem like Cool people, I can't say I know them, yet we should try to remember that they are human, and under a corperation. They might or might not have sold out... Yet if they were not there we would not be here right now having this discution. I have often wondered about what we are talking about here.

What happens when the PS4 comes out, or HOME stops making millions? They would most likely shut Home down, plus its right in the agreement, they can change anything or git rid of the Program any time they like, I have been saying this for a long time. Yet also we should take a step back and look at why we are here complaining about the Communication.

We can not leave all the Devs, MODs, and the Company, or Third Parties, We as the People in a Whole let this happen. It started in the very early stages of HOME... When they shut it off as a community project and made it This company and that Company and Profit over product and customer service. However by no means does this mean that all the people we try to communicate with has this mentality. Staff that we should be communicating with might be just as much in the dark as we are, think about the numbers of How many to compute the information vs how many to process the information plus the confution of Profit mixed in and know that its part of your Job. On top of that also think about How many people who all pull the future of Home in Many different Directions. We all strive for different things, and they take that and narrow it down to how it makes money, so don't blame just them, take a look at the community, we could also be helping a bit more to make the profit margin good enough yet at the same time Fair to us the community it was always us that were the ones who helped set this over indulgence in Profit, They just took advantage of that. How ever that doesnt make it right. 

On the other side anyone who appreciates home as a gamers social network, we can appreciate the idea and want to keep the service around, I mean we have made friends, played hundreds of Games and planned thousands partys, maybe more, Think of the folks we are trying to communicate with that have also been a part of the games, partys and socializing. They could have shut the project down when the money ran out durring the Alpha testing. I think that the Sell out that Happend durring the Making of Xi might have happend cause the Devs ran out of Money and Sony bought them out. Which is How we have HOME, remember how Patrick said something about working a whole year by himself? Maybe that was what happend to the Hub and how we got HOME, so if that was the case... Sony bought Home to save the Project from death, and now they are making money off of it cause they can. 

We as the community made it head in the direction it has, if we didn't buy more products after the broken ones did not get fixed, they would have fixed the old ones before they made more, yet we as a whole kept spending, and still are. So they kept pushing forward. Very smart if you think about it... all the money HOME makes off of us is Perfect Business marketing tacktics and stone cold money view mentality. From the start they wanted to turn the great idea and money losing program into a great idea that makes loads of Jobs and Money. 

I never did agree with the business School stuff I had to take in collage, yet the people running home seemed to pay close attention to those classes, they are doing thier jobs so we can not be fully upset with just them. 

Yes we need more communication to help it move in any direction we as the community would like to see it go, yet also we have to try and be fair about it. Even if the other side does not always play fair. Truth is we can not make them do something, they have to do that on thier own, and they need to have a reason to do so, 

I have many times tried to discuss a HOME Strike, yet Strikes are pushy and kinda mean, plus it could always back fire. There is always the choice of leaving Home and not sinking your money into it, yet if anyone really likes the idea of HOME, (plus a network of Friends who uses home - part of the draw of HOME) thats not really an option. ( Yet I can say I walked away once, and have thought about it a few times.) Then you have what we are doing here... talking about the problems, and the Devs and Mods, can either read it and listen, read it and forget it, or just don't read it at all... yet that is thier choice, in the eyes of the Law, HOME does not belong to us, never did, Also every idea we give them then belongs to them cause of the laws of copyright. Yet with out us HOME would no longer be a money maker, and in that sense it is ours all of ours. Yet that is how it stands... We have not direct say, just the underlying say of weather we are willing to pay the prices to keep something we like. Plus with so many diverse folks, we have the issue of common ground. 

So back to the question, happy with communication, No maybe, yet I feel for the ones doing the job, it must not be easy, maybe the key is not the folks like MODs and Home Staff (at least not all the time) yet with us the community and How we orginize our masses in asking for what we need or want and how wewant to see it done. and Im not saying make one thread with demans, I am saying we can try to make it more orginazed and easier to read. I mean it makes sense if you think about it... There were not as many MODs in the 90s when the site went up, and there were no HOME managers in 07, just Devs and such.  And they wadded threw the Chatter to get where we are today, and it was not always as hard to read or understand as it is now... However that does not by any means mean I think they should not Hire More Solution Staff and Testers along with some Phone system or HOMEs private Glitch reporting page or call center, even a promise that we will have it for more years or so... Not that Patricks web stuff is only leased till 2014, could be when the Sony contract for HOME runs out... if the foot dragging we have seen is because they are only keeping the contract obligation (which is possible) then Dark Days for Home are on the Horizon... and sinking more money into HOME would be a bad buisness move on Sony's part. 

Edit: I just changed the color in order to read it

Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 189 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Nov 29, 2012

The managers are obviously communicating with someone in the community. Namely advertisers and developers. They coordinate weekly ad updates and new releases and we're seeing more material being released by more developers than ever.

Looking back it seems pretty obvious that around the time of the theater rope debate Home managers got together and realized that they could completely ignore community posts to the forum with little or no financial impact to Home. That seems to be about the time that they stopped responding here on the forums.

They do need to respond to developers since it seems that they see them as their main customers. Developers do respond to community feedback because they rightly see the Home community as their direct customers, the Home management team doesn't anymore.

As Chad has pointed out there are enough impulse buyers to keep Home profitable even when there is a drop off in long time users that either find Home boring, or are tired of the freezes and bugs that are ever present i

Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 189 (149 Views)