Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 26 2012
By: myalana Ghost of Sparta 7724 posts

Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

188 replies 1246 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

I see the weekly polls and blog posts and I see the comments to "stay on topic, this thread has been cleaned up", but apart from that, what do we get? I myself have no luck PMing moderation or staff about issues as we are advised to do. Yes, I'm sure they receive many messages and yes I know that our Home managers have other duties, but all the same, the level of communication seems to have diminished greatly.

New releases and upcoming features are usually posted here first by other members of the community and even planned maintenance is seldom mentioned until a post from another region is regurgitated here. Is that what we should be happy with?

Even moderation seems to have trouble replying when queried about why a particular post was edited or a certain user was not reprimanded. It does often seem that the inmates run the asylum around here. Who exactly moderates the moderators?

Assuming that this thread gains a bit of interest and stays on the 1st page a day or 2, I suspect that, much like in the past, we'll get a token reply from staff or moderation. I'm sure that such a post will garner scores of kudos and be enough to satiate many of the folks around here. I'd appreciate such a response myself, however, I'd be much more impressed with a promise to actually improve what has been severely lacking for a very long time.

Some will take this thread personally and rush to defend moderation and staff alike. That is most certainly their right. Many times these are people with an "inside edge" as far as this communication goes. Maybe some of the rest of us without such an advantage would like to know that we are heard and actually be kept in the loop...be afforded the ability to communicate with our managers and moderators and know that we are more than just sheep or dollar signs.

Message 1 of 189 (1,246 Views)
Survivor
1443 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

Nov 26, 2012

What communication?  :smileyindifferent:

Posted Image
Message 2 of 189 (1,238 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

Nov 26, 2012

Nope

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 3 of 189 (1,204 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7724 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2012

Digitman3 wrote:

What communication?  :smileyindifferent:

I was being generous sir...benefit of the doubt and all. As I said, I know there are some who have their voices heard, I just suspect it's a minority  and I wanted to hear what the community as a whole had to say.

Message 4 of 189 (1,203 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29222 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

It would be nice if we got more communication from the Home Team especially here on the forum.

I do know that they have additional responsibilites now given they are Digital Community Managers with many responsibilities and not simply Home Managers anymore but it would be nice if they communicated with us here more openly and directly and certainly more frequently.

Some get to speak with them on a more personal level than others but that doesn't help the community know what is going on or what to expect. I do know the EU forum has a more direct communication with their new lead Mia_Wall who is now their Home Community Coordinator. 

Message 5 of 189 (1,167 Views)
Fender Bender
1513 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2012

You have written thought provoking thread, Myalana. I'm not sure what the Home team could do: to beat some of our forum members (who comb other social media and follow developers) in posting new information. But I do think there should be a better system in place for keeping us up to date on maintenence issues and downtime.

As far as editing of posts by moderators, I do see a wide disparity of conduct and what is addressed. I realize that many posts are subjective to interpretation and the TOS is not always easy to apply evenhandedly. But many times, I shake my head at what is allowed to stand and what is removed or edited. It would be nice to receive an answer to some of the disparity shown through moderator editing. If PMs are not answered, then I am afraid there is probably little or no recourse to receive an answer. 

Sorry if I have just added more questions than answers. But yes, communication could be better. Maybe a more systematic way of dessiminating information to us as a whole and providing explanations to why behavior or posts by some is overlooked and others not. If you do not ask the questions, then there is zero chance of receiving an answer. Looks like in this case, the age old advice to PM a moderator does not provide an answer anyway. Oh well.

Posted Image
Message 6 of 189 (1,155 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7724 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

It would be nice if we got more communication from the Home Team especially here on the forum.

I do know that they have additional responsibilites now given the are now Digital Community Managers with many responsibilities and not simply Home Managers anymore but ti would be nice if they communicated with us here more openly and directly and more frequently.

Some get to speak with them on a more personal level than others but that doesn't help the community know what is going on or what to expect. I do know the EU forum has a more directly communication now with their new lead Mia_Wall who is now their Home Community Coordinator. 

Yes, I've seen that to be true as well as far as the EU forums. I understand that they do have more responsibilities, but it seems that while Home has grown and prospered, this was one area that was put on the back burner. I'm sure some never give such matters a second thought but to me, it's an important issue. How can we feel good about this application and feel that we are part of a community if those who control it seldom connect with us?

Message 7 of 189 (1,151 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29222 posts

Nov 26, 2012

myalana wrote:

Yes, I've seen that to be true as well as far as the EU forums. I understand that they do have more responsibilities, but it seems that while Home has grown and prospered, this was one area that was put on the back burner. I'm sure some never give such matters a second thought but to me, it's an important issue. How can we feel good about this application and feel that we are part of a community if those who control it seldom connect with us?

Certainly true. It's been a constant request for a long time. I think we all want better communication. I know I would. :smileyhappy:

Message 8 of 189 (1,139 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
7724 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

MysticMur wrote:

You have written thought provoking thread, Myalana. I'm not sure what the Home team could do: to beat some of our forum members (who comb other social media and follow developers) in posting new information. But I do think there should be a better system in place for keeping us up to date on maintenence issues and downtime.

As far as editing of posts by moderators, I do see a wide disparity of conduct and what is addressed. I realize that many posts are subjective to interpretation and the TOS is not always easy to apply evenhandedly. But many times, I shake my head at what is allowed to stand and what is removed or edited. It would be nice to receive an answer to some of the disparity shown through moderator editing. If PMs are not answered, then I am afraid there is probably little or no recourse to receive an answer. 

Sorry if I have just added more questions than answers. But yes, communication could be better. Maybe a more systematic way of dessiminating information to us as a whole and providing explanations to why behavior or posts by some is overlooked and others not. If you do not ask the questions, then there is zero chance of receiving an answer. Looks like in this case, the age old advice to PM a moderator does not provide an answer anyway. Oh well.

Thank you Mur, I thought it more stimulating than another thread about "Avatars Who Have Red Hair And Look Like Potatos Wearing Shoes In Home".

I have many questions myself. I wonder, how often others hear back from moderation when they message? When's the last time one of us saw a moderator in Home? Who among us (apart from the HCVs) have seen a Home manager actually in Home? Should using the application they promote be something that our managers and moderators  be expected to do? How would mangers and moderators be able to stay "in-touch" with the community without using Home?

The list goes on and on. I don't expect to get answers from the higher ups themselves, but I'd be most interested in hearing other's thoughts about these questions.

Message 9 of 189 (1,117 Views)
Lombax Warrior
184 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Well, as far as not hearing back from moderators when you PM them, I can understand that if it's a conflict between users. Obviously what happens to the other person and such is none of our business- we wouldn't want to be called out if someone reported us. So I understand that.

However, from my brief activity on the forums, I've noticed there is little to not commentary from anyone. The monthly suggestions thread is never responded to. Everyone posts and puts ideas out and we get no response. We're never told if there are events or content... other websites do that, and our own leaders don't? It seems a little silly to me. I mean if AZ4, YPSH, and PSGazette all got shut down, we'd be nearly in the dark about our content. It would just be a surprise every week.

It would be nice to actually get feedback from anyone, really. Even simple replies such as yes or no, or if something is in the works. I mean without a response, how do we even know they're listening? We all request things (a better wardrobe, better furniture management) and we never hear back from them. Even a "Hey that's a great idea!" or "That won't work because of XYZ" would be appreciated. 

I guess largely I feel in the dark. It's like being in a dark room with no reply when you call out; you don't know if anyone is listening. And if they are listening, you certainly don't know if they care.

Message 10 of 189 (1,082 Views)