Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcoming Committee
4010 posts

Re: All you PS Homers are Misfits!

Jul 6, 2013

Let's just step back a second. I think everyone is focusing on the wrong word, here. 

Homer.gif

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 68 (531 Views)
Limit Breaker
16523 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

NorseGamer wrote:

My understanding is that this forum section is one tool (amongst many others) for SCEA, as the platform provider, to provide official news and announcements about Home, as well as gather consumer feedback; it is not something which needs to be used -- or used exclusively -- by third-party developers for the same purpose. Indeed, the Home community media scene fulfills a valuable role in this regard, as there's a wealth of information out there -- interviews, item databases, opinion pieces, etc. -- which can potentially enhance a user's experience with the service. It's a supplemental spotlight to the PR efforts of Sony itself, which in some cases can spread awareness of Home to people who may have never heard of this forum.

The catch, of course, is that these satellite media projects may be operated or supported by people whom we personally dislike. And so comes the quandary: do you click on that site to read the story -- thus boosting that site's traffic numbers -- or do you pass on it and potentially risk missing out on something cool?

It is then that we often seek what Eric Hoffer so accurately summarized as "a public cure for a private ail." 

One suggestion I would offer: there's the old aphorism about attracting with honey instead of vinegar. If the goal is to get a developer to publish more commentary directly onto this forum, what is the best way to actually entice them to do so? How can feedback be offered in a constructive manner that moves you closer to achieving that goal? 

Will this change anyone's respective positions on this particular discussion? I suspect likely not; the forum may be far too balkanized an environment to allow for that. So my only remaining advice would be this: one can have a fantastic and fulfilling Home experience without exposure to any outside resources, including both this forum and third-party sites. It's probably best -- not for someone else's well being, but for your own -- to simply ignore what you dislike and focus on what you enjoy. The Home experience is largely what we make of it, after all.

Hope that helps, and my apologies if it doesn't. Best of luck to you.

To those here who did choose to read the article: thank you for checking out what is a very funny and whimsical piece by a Home developer, and it was our pleasure to publish it. It was, I think, quite an uplifting read, and reaffirms that Home is a unique and special experience in the greater PlayStation pantheon. May we all continue to enjoy it in our own ways.

Well you can't please everyone so you just do what you can and let the haters hate ya know? Some just come here to get on others nerves or try to push buttons. It's their own personal Soap Opera. Plastic happiness.

One thing that I do notice is that Home media sites all have Home users doing what they like. Writing stories, articles, making videos and events. Some here don't do anything. Each their right but the pitiful complaints and silly arguments are down right stupid. I find this hard to understand. Not trolls but trolish in nature. Looking for those jabs and trying to break down instead of building blocks of community. Often because they don't ''like'' someone and rarely looking at the big picture. THIS is directed at all Home media sites often and it is truly unfair.

misfits? yeah. Some of us are but it's the little guys who make up the best parts of Home. Something I would like to see Home media focus more on.

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 68 (519 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7532 posts

Jul 6, 2013

NorseGamer wrote:

My understanding is that this forum section is one tool (amongst many others) for SCEA, as the platform provider, to provide official news and announcements about Home, as well as gather consumer feedback; it is not something which needs to be used -- or used exclusively -- by third-party developers for the same purpose. Indeed, the Home community media scene fulfills a valuable role in this regard, as there's a wealth of information out there -- interviews, item databases, opinion pieces, etc. -- which can potentially enhance a user's experience with the service. It's a supplemental spotlight to the PR efforts of Sony itself, which in some cases can spread awareness of Home to people who may have never heard of this forum.

The catch, of course, is that these satellite media projects may be operated or supported by people whom we personally dislike. And so comes the quandary: do you click on that site to read the story -- thus boosting that site's traffic numbers -- or do you pass on it and potentially risk missing out on something cool?

It is then that we often seek what Eric Hoffer so accurately summarized as "a public cure for a private ail." 

One suggestion I would offer: there's the old aphorism about attracting with honey instead of vinegar. If the goal is to get a developer to publish more commentary directly onto this forum, what is the best way to actually entice them to do so? How can feedback be offered in a constructive manner that moves you closer to achieving that goal? 

Will this change anyone's respective positions on this particular discussion? I suspect likely not; the forum may be far too balkanized an environment to allow for that. So my only remaining advice would be this: one can have a fantastic and fulfilling Home experience without exposure to any outside resources, including both this forum and third-party sites. It's probably best -- not for someone else's well being, but for your own -- to simply ignore what you dislike and focus on what you enjoy. The Home experience is largely what we make of it, after all.

Hope that helps, and my apologies if it doesn't. Best of luck to you.

To those here who did choose to read the article: thank you for checking out what is a very funny and whimsical piece by a Home developer, and it was our pleasure to publish it. It was, I think, quite an uplifting read, and reaffirms that Home is a unique and special experience in the greater PlayStation pantheon. May we all continue to enjoy it in our own ways.

It was kind of you to stop by and expound upon the merits of the Home community media scene with the "whinging lot" that is some of us here in the forum. Thank you. Such a display of grandiose verbage is seldom seen around these parts and it is impressive.

Which hat are we wearing today? I just want to be clear on the matter as it confuses me at times. Are you Norse the Home user? ..not Norse the Loot Developer, not Norse the HSM Editor in chief but just a Home user like the rest of us? I'm afraid I have difficulty distinguishing at times much as I did with GameMechanics opening post (official developer badge and all...see?..I'm just full of confusion). I notice the explicit mention near the end where you stated:

"thank you for checking out what is a very funny and whimsical piece by a Home developer, and it was our pleasure to publish it."

I'm confused again. I hope you can help me some more..please help me to understand. It's an opinion piece yet the Home Developer title is stressed and it's posted here in the forum yet linking us to HSM. Why?

I'll assume that you were truely concerned about my Home experience as you stated and that was in fact the reason that you composed the post above. I certainly don't want to believe that this entire post was a thinly veiled advertisment for your pet project.

As for attracting with honey and not vinegar? I do believe that applies to flies and really isn't very fitting here. I don't wish to attract any flies and in my opinion, to suggest that customers must be nicer to companies, developers, etc if they wish to have them listen in the future just is not very sound advice. In fact it's generally the exact opposite of what is accepted in regards to business.  Is this Norse the Loot developer speaking here? "Don't question my motives and you best bow and scrape to me lest I refuse to tell you about my content in the future." Is this the suggestion? So much confusion.

You may think I have an issue with 3rd party sites when in fact I do not. I believe HSM provides invaluable services to the Home community. It hosts contests, provides a refuge for many who feel that this forum is beneath them, and publishes candid opinion pieces from developers. These of course are exclusive articles which are not shared here...not even when asked. Instead, traffic is directed to the site mentioned.

I hope these words are taken in the manner intended and that we someday cross paths in Home. It's my wish that you enjoy your Home experience as much as I enjoy mine.Thank you again, and good luck.

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 68 (497 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Jul 6, 2013

myalana wrote:

I hope these words are taken in the manner intended and that we someday cross paths in Home. It's my wish that you enjoy your Home experience as much as I enjoy mine.Thank you again, and good luck.

They are indeed, Mya. Take care. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 68 (481 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
3632 posts

Jul 7, 2013

At the end of the day, It is this community that you call misfits the ones that buy your items so that you can make a profit.  To treat us with such disrespect is not a wise decision IMO.  Im not the one publishing items looking to make a buck, IT IS YOU.  

Just remember that 

Embrace Tomorrow
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 68 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16523 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Did any of you watch Rudolph? If you did then you saw that the Island of Misfit Toys were unwanted playthings.  turned out pretty well. I guess only Home misfits understood the article >.<

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 68 (453 Views)
Gaming Beast
1300 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Oh darn... I was hoping we were getting Misfits (the band) content. 

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 68 (445 Views)
Welcoming Committee
3632 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

Did any of you watch Rudolph? If you did then you saw that the Island of Misfit Toys were unwanted playthings.  turned out pretty well. I guess only Home misfits understood the article >.<

I do understand Jers (I love that movie/story), what I dont understand is the labels, yes none of us is the same but thats whats makes us human beings great not misfits.  I personally dont like cliques or anything that can segregate people from being themselves.  It is one thing to label yourself, but quite another to label others.  Nowadays everything is socially acceptable to people and if you dont accept it you dont belong well I for one refuse to deviate from how I was raise just to try and fit in, that is simply not me.

What others seem to miss is that there is a moral to the Rudolph story and its that those that were considered misfits really were not and thats why to story turned out well in the End.

Embrace Tomorrow
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 68 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16523 posts

Jul 7, 2013

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

I do understand Jers (I love that movie/story), what I dont understand is the labels, yes none of us is the same but thats whats makes us human beings great not misfits.  I personally dont like cliques or anything that can segregate people from being themselves.  It is one thing to label yourself, but quite another to label others.  Nowadays everything is socially acceptable to people and if you dont accept it you dont belong well I for one refuse to deviate from how I was raise just to try and fit in, that is simply not me.

What others seem to miss is that there is a moral to the Rudolph story and its that those that were considered misfits really were not and thats why to story turned out well in the End.

I get that Sunny and you make good points. I  just think some maybe over read the article :smileywink:

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 68 (414 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4457 posts

Jul 7, 2013

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

Human beings can be great misfits a lot of the time. I understand you don't like fams, neither do I, it would be great for you to join the taco fam though. We will accept you and you can rummage through my can and tell me to not use the word "misfit"

Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 68 (412 Views)
0 Likes