Ghost of Sparta
7918 posts

Re: A fellow MVPs stance on "Trolling"

May 19, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

LightningEmotion wrote:

myalana wrote:

I read the opening post of this thread as well as the link to moble's post. I can agree with many aspects of both, but in all, I think something important hasn't been touched upon. In my opinion, many times problems arise when people take themselves too seriously or start to consider themselves too important. What often develops in such cases are deepset feelings of intolerance and resentment for other users.

Bothered by trolls? They know it...they love it. Laugh at yourself and you disarm them. Be able to kudo the post of or make a positive reply to a person who you usally don't agree with...a good point, a funny joke, a worthwhile post should be appreciated no matter who the person is. Some seem unable to get past petty differences and that's when the divisions start.

As for negativity, I try to take it with a grain of salt. There's a time and a place for it and we needn't all rush in and defend Home at all costs. To do so is bullying too is it not? Laugh or just sit back and let things go...hopefully others will be able to do the same.

Thats no fun.

The real genius of this and some of their other comments is the brevity and succintness used, along with a neutral tone. It's very Hemmingwayesque.  I wish I could master this writing style, but I lean toward excess. It's just my nature.

After reading an early draft of A Farewell to Arms at Hemingway's request, F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote his friend a ten-page letter. He suggested that Hemingway end the book with the passage: "The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure that it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry." Hemingway summed up his thoughts on Fitzgerald's critique in a three-word response at the bottom of the letter: "Kiss my ..."

I lean towards excess also most times. I know how you feel Julian.

Kudos.

Message 31 of 222 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
7918 posts

May 19, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I have said it before and I will say it again.  We need to ban the words "troll"  and "perv" as hate crimes just like we do the "N" word and many others.   These words need to be replaced with the term "TOS Breaker".    To call anyone a troll or a perv is a subjective opinion unless they  are a TOS breaker.  If they are a TOS Breaker than so be it and punishment must begin.  If they are not a TOS Breaker than they have been called names that only the ignorant self righteous would say.    As Ronald Reagan and Pink Floyd once said Tear Down the Wall,  of hatefful words.  "I Have a Dream" that one day these words will one day vanish into thin air.  And when that day comes I hope that some will be big enough to admit they were wrong about what they did to my threads. I will always take the high road and accept apologies as long as they are sincere.

No.

Message 32 of 222 (450 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3063 posts

[ Edited ]
May 19, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

Tease3211 wrote:

Back on topic, do you have a suggestion you'd like to share about how we as the Home community should handle the negative behavior that happens in this forum?

I don't get the point you're trying to make. Your suggesting we police this forum? Isn't that Moderations job?

We already have enough mini mods, cliques and favoritism as it is now, don't make things worse.

I don't think that is was Tease was suggesting at all.  I think it was more a question of how do we cope with the constant trolling, because really you only have a couple of choices.  You can ignore it ,or as Moble says you can not take it personal, or you can really let it affect you and end up in a flame war.  I have seen it happen several times and the troll always thinks they aren't susceptable to the rules because they will just make another account. 

Obviously something has to give, I doubt that trolls are going to go away anytime soon because people seem to get cheap thrills out of it.  In saying that though, does that mean we/I/you should continue to let them ruin it for us? No it doesn't. We need to learn how to deal with it and move on. The old expression 'Don't feed the troll' works better now than ever. Don't give them the reaction they are looking for and they will move on.

This is nothing to do with policing the forums but rather growing a thicker skin and not taking it personal.

troll.jpg

Glad to see there have been a few replies this morning, and some interesting thoughts.

Vicki is correct, my original intent was not to suggest we need more so-called Mini-mods.   BUT....  lets explore that for a minute.  This is the Playstation COMMUNITY forum.  Should the Community have a say in what behavior is appropriate or innapropriate here?  Should we have to put up with continuous off topic threads, users bashing one another, and some of the other borderline things that happen here?

So what do we as the Community do about that?

We could all come together in a friendship circle and take a "pledge" not to feed the trolls... but how long would it last?

We could all get a little more proactive with the "report innapropriate content" link (which no one has to know who clicked the link by the way)... but would it work?

Do we just continue to ignore that this board seems to take more liberties with the forum rules than other sections of the forum?

The forums are supposed to be a community friendly place.   The Home section doesn't always come across as that, and there are many who have grown weary of it.  So how do we fix it?   How do we make Home General a FUN place for us to all socialize again?

Edit:  How do we make Home General a FUN place for us to all socialize again, with out fear of bullying or harrasment?

Message 33 of 222 (411 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2986 posts

May 19, 2013

:^/ Bear in mind that no one is the villain in his own eyes. Sometimes people make posts that they feel need to be made, even though they know they'll be poorly received. Should that qualify as trollilng?

Consider the likely alternate account in Kitty_Pyra's cartoon thread. This one struck me in a way that most trolls cannot. Even the name Vox_Rationis gets to me. It hits home because it's exactly the sort of name that I would have chosen if I were to do such a thing. "Vox Rationis" is Latin for "Rational Voice," or "Voice of Reason." Further, what he wrote was factually accurate, even if his conclusions were cruel. Again, sticking to the facts is what I would have done, were I to create an alternate account with which to take someone to task. -I have used such a tone when dealing with trolls, ironically, with my only account.-  In short, Vox_Rationis is like a tactless, parallel-universe version of me.

:^/ But does that post count as trolling? Yes, he could have worded his thoughts less rudely, and yes, his thoughts were poorly received by the regulars here, myself included. I don't know whether the sentiment he expressed counts as trolling, though. Maybe only as a less popular opinion, worded unkindly.

Message 34 of 222 (400 Views)
Survivor
1821 posts

May 19, 2013

myalana wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I have said it before and I will say it again.  We need to ban the words "troll"  and "perv" as hate crimes just like we do the "N" word and many others.   These words need to be replaced with the term "TOS Breaker".    To call anyone a troll or a perv is a subjective opinion unless they  are a TOS breaker.  If they are a TOS Breaker than so be it and punishment must begin.  If they are not a TOS Breaker than they have been called names that only the ignorant self righteous would say.    As Ronald Reagan and Pink Floyd once said Tear Down the Wall,  of hatefful words.  "I Have a Dream" that one day these words will one day vanish into thin air.  And when that day comes I hope that some will be big enough to admit they were wrong about what they did to my threads. I will always take the high road and accept apologies as long as they are sincere.

No.

With an attitude like that maybe your future mvp status could be in jeopardy.  You sure that no is not really a yes?

Message 35 of 222 (388 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3063 posts

May 19, 2013

Well, I see the post you are referring to very differently than you do I guess, Danger_Dad, but this isn't the place for that debate.

People should be free to express their opinions here, popular or not, but not at the expense of someone else's feelings.  That does not foster the positive sense of community we are supposed to have here.

Message 36 of 222 (387 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7918 posts

May 19, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

myalana wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

No.

With an attitude like that maybe your future mvp status could be in jeopardy.  You sure that no is not really a yes?

I have no such aspirations. Thank you for your concern. :smileyhappy:

Message 37 of 222 (378 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4019 posts

May 19, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

:^/ Bear in mind that no one is the villain in his own eyes. Sometimes people make posts that they feel need to be made, even though they know they'll be poorly received. Should that qualify as trollilng?

Consider the likely alternate account in Kitty_Pyra's cartoon thread. This one struck me in a way that most trolls cannot. Even the name Vox_Rationis gets to me. It hits home because it's exactly the sort of name that I would have chosen if I were to do such a thing. "Vox Rationis" is Latin for "Rational Voice," or "Voice of Reason." Further, what he wrote was factually accurate, even if his conclusions were cruel. Again, sticking to the facts is what I would have done, were I to create an alternate account with which to take someone to task. -I have used such a tone when dealing with trolls, ironically, with my only account.-  In short, Vox_Rationis is like a tactless, parallel-universe version of me.

:^/ But does that post count as trolling? Yes, he could have worded his thoughts less rudely, and yes, his thoughts were poorly received by the regulars here, myself included. I don't know whether the sentiment he expressed counts as trolling, though. Maybe only as a less popular opinion, worded unkindly.

Well, that's the rub, isn't it? Thank you for sighting an example when making your post DD! Now I have a nail to hang my thoughts on. Before, this topic sounded to me, like a call to arms at best, and wartime propoganda at worst. I felt a rallying cry going out, but I'm not sure who is the enemy we're facing (maybe even I could be the enemy), or how to seperate the enemy from the indiginous people we're trying to protect. This is a far more complicated issue than "Him bad, Me Good". It becomes even more difficult to define the shades of grey when we have so many clever, creative, and intelligent minds putting words together in ways that can easily be taken to mean several COMPLETELY different things. While I remain unsure who the enemy is, I can't in good conscience join your war. I would rather deal with the occational attack, than participate in setting up an environment where I'm afraid to post a dissenting opinion or making a joke for fear of being banned or whatever punishment becomes deemed the "unwanted" deserve. 

P.S.-D.D.- Have you considered the possiblility that you have Multiple Personality Disorder and you are, in fact, Vox Rationis? *dun-dun-dun* Just kidding! **And.... I"m banned**

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 38 of 222 (370 Views)
Survivor
1821 posts

May 19, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

Latin language, alternate forum accounts, parallel universes, cartoon threads and I can't tell if u are complementing or criticizing.  Lets keep this simple folks.  We are not all college intellectuals. Also not that it makes any difference I thought kitty was a female.  Thanks for schooling me.

Message 39 of 222 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1107 posts

May 19, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

Danger_Dad wrote:

Well, that's the rub, isn't it? Thank you for sighting an example when making your post DD! Now I have a nail to hang my thoughts on. Before, this topic sounded to me, like a call to arms at best, and wartime propoganda at worst. I felt a rallying cry going out, but I'm not sure who is the enemy we're facing (maybe even I could be the enemy), or how to seperate the enemy from the indiginous people we're trying to protect. This is a far more complicated issue than "Him bad, Me Good". It becomes even more difficult to define the shades of grey when we have so many clever, creative, and intelligent minds putting words together in ways that can easily be taken to mean several COMPLETELY different things. While I remain unsure who the enemy is, I can't in good conscience join your war. I would rather deal with the occational attack, than participate in setting up an environment where I'm afraid to post a dissenting opinion or making a joke for fear of being banned or whatever punishment becomes deemed the "unwanted" deserve. 

P.S.-D.D.- Have you considered the possiblility that you have Multiple Personality Disorder and you are, in fact, Vox Rationis? *dun-dun-dun* Just kidding! **And.... I"m banned**

Julian : Why be afraid to post. " Keep it Clean ", and " Respect Others".

I think those two Sony Guidelines, are everything all of us need, in order to flourish on Home and in these Forums :smileyhappy:

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 40 of 222 (354 Views)