Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1389 posts

Re: A fellow MVPs stance on "Trolling"

May 19, 2013

myalana wrote:

I read the opening post of this thread as well as the link to moble's post. I can agree with many aspects of both, but in all, I think something important hasn't been touched upon. In my opinion, many times problems arise when people take themselves too seriously or start to consider themselves too important. What often develops in such cases are deepset feelings of intolerance and resentment for other users.

Bothered by trolls? They know it...they love it. Laugh at yourself and you disarm them. Be able to kudo the post of or make a positive reply to a person who you usally don't agree with...a good point, a funny joke, a worthwhile post should be appreciated no matter who the person is. Some seem unable to get past petty differences and that's when the divisions start.

As for negativity, I try to take it with a grain of salt. There's a time and a place for it and we needn't all rush in and defend Home at all costs. To do so is bullying too is it not? Laugh or just sit back and let things go...hopefully others will be able to do the same.

Thats no fun.

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Message 21 of 222 (566 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3344 posts

May 19, 2013

myalana wrote:

Insert awesome text here :smileylol:

I agree with what mya's saying here. She summed up a few points nicer than I could in the post above. Think of it like this - the Joker exists because Batman is too far up his own crimefighting butt and in reality is little better than some of his supposed enemies or the thugs on the street. The Hero complex creates a Villain complex in people. There's too much people here trying to be the good guy taking down the bad guy when really we're all fish in the same barrel.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you!

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 22 of 222 (566 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

May 19, 2013

Tease3211 wrote:

moblesuit75 shared some thoughts over in the Support forum that I think is worth a read, and is something I would love to see our Home community embrace.

Our little section of the forum is a special place, albeit one that gets carried away from time to time.  In fact it's one of the few sections on these forums moderation felt it was necessary to create not one, but two special "forum rules" threads and sticky them to the top of the first page.

Does that make us bad?  No.  Does it give us a certain reputation with the rest of the Playstation Community?  Yes, I believe it does.  

We are very quick rally together when certain forum rules such as blacklisting are broken, yet in many cases we seem to tolerate, even encourage "bullying."

What do you think, should we as the Home community be tolerating, and at times even encouraging this behavior?  What are YOUR solutions?

Here is the thread:

There is having a good time, and there is being a Nuisance.

Its not just the trolls, we will always have that no matter what.  The New MPVs  have bullied other and were trolls  users as well.  How they became MVPs, is beyond me.  Just desperate I guess  to keep people.  

Message 23 of 222 (532 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7724 posts

May 19, 2013

Eh, not everything is about the new MVPs. It doesn't really affect  the13% of us who chose not to apply for MVP does it? :cattongue:

If you start thinking of the "names in red" as enemies and treating them as such, they may just be inclined to repay you in kind. Perhaps there's some "sour grapes" or perhaps just an unwillingness to treat people as individuals rather than projecting upon them the stereo-types of the group that they are perceived as belonging to.

When one lashes out indiscriminately time and time again people come to recognize this and yes they very well may band together. This isn't necessarily bullying however. It may in fact be considered "being a decent human being".

Message 24 of 222 (496 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3344 posts

[ Edited ]
May 19, 2013

myalana wrote:

When one lashes out indiscriminately time and time again people come to recognize this and yes they very well may band together. This isn't necessarily bullying however. It may in fact be considered "being a decent human being".

I agree with this, though you have to admit some will use that much like the word Community to say group bullying or intimidation is par for the course. Bullying isn't limited to what those not on the receiving end define it as. It's up to a victim or a person that feels intimidated to decide that. We can agree or disagree with them but that's how they feel and it should at least be listened to first.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 25 of 222 (489 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7724 posts

[ Edited ]
May 19, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

myalana wrote:

I read the opening post of this thread as well as the link to moble's post. I can agree with many aspects of both, but in all, I think something important hasn't been touched upon. In my opinion, many times problems arise when people take themselves too seriously or start to consider themselves too important. What often develops in such cases are deepset feelings of intolerance and resentment for other users.

Bothered by trolls? They know it...they love it. Laugh at yourself and you disarm them. Be able to kudo the post of or make a positive reply to a person who you usally don't agree with...a good point, a funny joke, a worthwhile post should be appreciated no matter who the person is. Some seem unable to get past petty differences and that's when the divisions start.

As for negativity, I try to take it with a grain of salt. There's a time and a place for it and we needn't all rush in and defend Home at all costs. To do so is bullying too is it not? Laugh or just sit back and let things go...hopefully others will be able to do the same.

Thats no fun.

How apropos. :smileywink: That was a subtle jab given the topic at hand....someone had to explain what you did there to me. I'd never be able to pull off such a clever ruse. Kudos to you!

That was for illustrative purposes only, Thanks for the setup LightningEmotion.

Message 26 of 222 (453 Views)
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

May 19, 2013

rramsdell wrote:

Tease3211 wrote:

moblesuit75 shared some thoughts over in the Support forum that I think is worth a read, and is something I would love to see our Home community embrace.

Our little section of the forum is a special place, albeit one that gets carried away from time to time.  In fact it's one of the few sections on these forums moderation felt it was necessary to create not one, but two special "forum rules" threads and sticky them to the top of the first page.

Does that make us bad?  No.  Does it give us a certain reputation with the rest of the Playstation Community?  Yes, I believe it does.  

We are very quick rally together when certain forum rules such as blacklisting are broken, yet in many cases we seem to tolerate, even encourage "bullying."

What do you think, should we as the Home community be tolerating, and at times even encouraging this behavior?  What are YOUR solutions?

Here is the thread:

There is having a good time, and there is being a Nuisance.

Its not just the trolls, we will always have that no matter what.  The New MPVs  have bullied other and were trolls  users as well.  How they became MVPs, is beyond me.  Just desperate I guess  to keep people.  

Thats obvious, they brown nose and cosign any junk thats put out, attack any1 that disagrees with hcm.. 

They added up "brownie points"

Message 27 of 222 (423 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6126 posts

May 19, 2013

Call me naive,

But I always thought of the people here on the forums as family in a way..

Sometimes we argue, sometimes we laugh, but I never actually hated anyone on here to create a hate list so to speak.

I have been on both sides of the curtain as they say, and I understand how people can feel left out, I can honestly say becoming a guide and MVP got to my head for maybe one day, but then I realized it isn't all about me and remembered what can I do to help the community.

The biggest impact I can have right now is helping in Home itself, so I spend the majority of my time helping people, believe it or not there are still people wandering around who don't even know there is an Acorn park?

And when I am not being a guide, I am researching areas and idea's for future quests,  I think the last thing anyone wants are t shirts so I have been busy with thinking of easy to make interesting prizes to submit.

As far as the forums, we all have our differences, but if you hold grudges against other, or are constantly tearing things down and want to make everyone feel miserable, then that's your own burden.

One thing I have learned over the years here, is that negative people burn out real fast, why, because they have nothing to look forward to - You know what would be refreshing,,, to have a negative Ned or Nancy think out and offer solutions to their gripes. There might have been one person like that a few years ago, but I don't remember his name. He left when they changed from lithium to the other company and hated the layout.

Anyway good luck in making the forums a better place... Especially that Off Topic place,,, horrible bullying there as compared to here.

I am off to Home to steer the lost - to places yet discovered.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 28 of 222 (382 Views)
Survivor
1721 posts

May 19, 2013

I have said it before and I will say it again.  We need to ban the words "troll"  and "perv" as hate crimes just like we do the "N" word and many others.   These words need to be replaced with the term "TOS Breaker".    To call anyone a troll or a perv is a subjective opinion unless they  are a TOS breaker.  If they are a TOS Breaker than so be it and punishment must begin.  If they are not a TOS Breaker than they have been called names that only the ignorant self righteous would say.    As Ronald Reagan and Pink Floyd once said Tear Down the Wall,  of hatefful words.  "I Have a Dream" that one day these words will one day vanish into thin air.  And when that day comes I hope that some will be big enough to admit they were wrong about what they did to my threads. I will always take the high road and accept apologies as long as they are sincere.

Message 29 of 222 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4019 posts

May 19, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

myalana wrote:

Thats no fun.

The real genius of this and some of their other comments is the brevity and succintness used, along with a neutral tone. It's very Hemmingwayesque.  I wish I could master this writing style, but I lean toward excess. It's just my nature.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 30 of 222 (355 Views)