PlayStation MVP
3841 posts

Re: Tips for maximizing your PlayStation Home connectivity

[ Edited ]
Sep 21, 2012

Fair enough.  I think my message may have come off much more rudely than I meant for it to. I was more than a little sleepy when I typed it, so if it did, I apologize.

If you are using the older style modem/router pair, bridging the router is pretty simple, and will immediately jump your connection from NAT type 3 to 2. All you do is go on the modem admin ad look for the "bridge mode" setting. On my modem it is in the connection section. Then on your router set your router to connect to the internet by entering the username and password and setting it to manage the connection. Most routers have this setting.

When connecting, your modem establishes a range of IP addresses to connect to which serves as a small internal network. When you connect your router to that network, it does the same thing essentially stacking one network on top of another. Bridging the connection makes the modem just act as a connection bridge passin the connection along instead of actually managing a network of its own. By eliminating one network that your connection passes through, you can sometimes get a much more stable connection.

One down side is that you can no longer connect to the modem admin wirelessly once this is done since it is no longer handling connections. You have to physically connect a computer to it just as you would with a wired connection to change settings.

Message 21 of 30 (999 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1924 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

I would like to add for those that have the problem that your router is on one side of the house and your ps3 is too far away to receive a wireless signal or to string a long massive cable, there is a possible solution.

Google or search Amazon for the word "powerline adapter"

What a powerline adapter is, is a piece of hardware that uses the electrical powerlines in your home to connect a unit to the internet. You get a pair of adapters. Plug one into a electrical outlet near the router and connect them with an ethernet line. Then plug another powerline unit to another electrical outlet near your ps3 and connect them with a ethernet line.

viola! you should have a solid fast connection.

Powerline adapters usually cost about $50-100. 

Message 22 of 30 (952 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

Sep 27, 2012

Never actually thought of turning off the Media Servers when Connecting to PS HOME... Thats a good Point... 

Does it really improve your Connection that much on PS HOME? Just wandering... 

Also, none of this really helps at all if it's your Console thats Screwed... Cause that i'm sure that requires money to get fixed, Smiley Sad 

Anyways, you forgot 1 Major Improvement to help Internet Connectivity on PS HOME... 

Safe Mode the PS3, & go under System File Restore, or whatever... 

It improves the PS3 Performance, & Load Times for both Networking, & Hard Drive Reading, as well as Refresh Rates... 

Just an idea...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 23 of 30 (930 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Very intersting Re: Tips for maximizing your PlayStation Home connectivity

Nov 27, 2012

Very interesting write-up; this should be posted on every gaming website that is known to man. 

Message 24 of 30 (675 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

Nov 27, 2012

i run my PS3 off a wired connection to the mobem and my computers thru the router, and my Playstation is still laggy, and crashes everytime i enter an event. PShome always comes up w/ error codes refferencing the server connection. I'm glad i dont pay for PSOnline activities or i'd be **bleep***d.   

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 25 of 30 (669 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Nice helped a lot. THANKS!!

SHUT UP AND DRINK

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 26 of 30 (571 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for the tips Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 30 (535 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: Tips for maintaining and maximizing your PlayStation Home connectivity

Dec 26, 2012
You are so right dude!!! So many people do not even know what that is!!
Message 28 of 30 (510 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 6, 2013
My ps3 keeps freezing any ideas?
Message 29 of 30 (320 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Re: Tips for maintaining and maximizing your PlayStation Home connectivity

Mar 6, 2013

I am new to this home game, and can't see what to do to help me out with freezing..Am I not reading the message right?.can you message me and help me? Me and my husband just started playing a week ago and really like it so far...

Message 30 of 30 (163 Views)
0 Likes