Oct 06 2012
By: Supreme_Entity Lombax Warrior 92 posts

I need help and opinions.

7 replies 394 views Edited Oct 6, 2012

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone on the forums for their continued help and assistance. I usually never post as I can find all the information on here which solves most if not all my problems, but I am running into one problem that just will not resolve itself. I'll try to sum up my issue as short as possible.

Obviously I'm experiencing an issue in Playstation Home that is preventing me from using it and/or enjoying it properly. I have an original 250 GB Playstation Slim (purchased back in Fall of 2009). I just started back using Home again after being absent from it for quite a few months.

Just recently (2 to 3 weeks ago), I purchased a new 1 TB hard drive for my PS3 (I backed up everything before switching). For the record, outside of Home, my PS3 runs flawlessly - *knocks on wood* but in Home, it constantly freezes and stutters. It actually stutters more than anything. This happens when I go into just about ANY space other than my own Personal Spaces. The music will stop/stutters as well as my character freezing in place, before the music kicks back in and 'speeds off' somewhere. The thing is this happens CONSTANTLY.  I am unable to enjoy home or walk around. The HDD light is on constantly as well, and for as long as I wait for it to turn off, it pretty much doesn't and IF I am lucky enough to see it turn off, as soon as I start moving again, it comes back on, SOLID.

Now, I have already tried some troubleshooting steps such as putting the PS3 into Safe Mode, rebuilding/repairing the database and file system, deleted the Home cache, and data utility on the XMB. Just a note that all of this has been done since the purchase of the new HDD and if I have not mentioned it, these issues WERE occurring before I purchased the new HDD. Remember, outside of Home, the PS3 runs like a beast.

Finally, as far as my internet is concerned, I am hardwired and have an average speed of 20 - 25 Mbps down, and 30+ Mbps up, consistently.

------------

TL;DR

Home is constantly stuttering/freezing. Rebuilding/Repairing File System and Database in Safe Mode only resolved issues for 1 day before stuttering/freezing/locking up again. Brand new 1 TB HDD replaced old 250 GB HDD. Issues were present on previous drive as well. 

My question is: When I restored my back up to the new HDD from the old one, are any of the files fragmented and arranged as so on the new drive? I am thinking about formatting the new HDD again and just download/install everything again one by one, in the hope the new drive will permanently resolve the stuttering and freezing. Please help! I am at my wit's end!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (394 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2989 posts

Re: I need help and opinions.

Oct 6, 2012

Did you format the new HD with a PC program such as FAT32 Formatter, or allow the PS3 to do it?

The first time I upgraded the HD on my slim,  I was under the (mistaken) impression the PS3 wouldn't format a 500 GB drive so I did it on my PC and ended up having all kinds of problems, not unlike yours.  (Also a weird issue with the controller being able to power on the system, but then not receiving a controller # assignment untill power cycling it.)  Also I should mention I installed the system files from a USB drive.

Long story short, the constant HD activity and continually having to "restore file system" on that disk, it didn't last long.  

My second HD on the same system, I did nothing to but pop it in and restore the system files from a cd to it, and it has worked pretty much flawlessly since.

Since you already have a good backup you can restore your saves and content from, trying to reformat it again might be worth a shot!

Good luck!  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (353 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2934 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 6, 2012

You have all the symptoms of your Home files being corrupted. But yet I don't think that's it. I would never put a TB in any console. Since you did that it may be your problem. "The HDD light is on constantly as well" You have an older console (2009) your hardware may be on its last legs. Core processor(s) and motherboard are most likely going bad.

A lot of people claim TB HD works fine for them. But until Sony puts out a TB console themselves I wouldn't do it. When they do they will be using updated hardware that would be capable of handling that size of HD. I found the somewhat new solid state HD (2010) works very good in these consoles. It's 2X faster than the current in stock HD they use now. But still I wouldn't go higher than 500GB even with that one...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Oct 6, 2012

@Tease - I did allow the PS3 to reformat the HDD instead of my PC. As a final resort, I will attempt another reformat and see if it resolves anything. 

@Strider - I see. Let us 'assume' that the Home files are indeed corrupted and causing the issue. Would you suggest I completely remove/delete any and all Playstation Home files? Just to be sure, this would cause all clothing and Personal Space layouts to be reset as well as the spaces themselves to be deleted? Downloading them again has a small chance of resolving the issue IF one or more of the files are corrupt (hopefully)?

Otherwise, based on what you've told me, I'm pretty much SOL and would need to get another PS3 right?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2934 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

No don't delete your Home files. I said it looks like your Home files are corrupted. In the way you described your problems. It is most likely the HD or like I said your system itself. As I said before when Sony starts making TB consoles which is very unlikely. At least at the PS3 level. Then they may work properly in your console. But until then don't go over 500GB.

As far as getting a new console I don't think you have to go that far. Try putting the old HD back in and see if your having the same problems. If your not then you have the answer. Besides letting Sony repair your current console costs $160 I believe and they put all new parts in. It's like getting a new updated console...

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (299 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
767 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

What is the company and speed of your 1GB harddrive? Sometimes there are compatibility issues between them.

Also did you do a normal format? Or a quick format? It maybe that a bad sector that might be giving the problem. A quick format doesn't detect those sectors and data coming from Home might be trying to write it there.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (276 Views)
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Oct 7, 2012
As far as the company and speed of the HDD, it is:

Samsung SpinPoint SATA 5400rpm 8 MB Cache 1 TB 2.5-Inch Hard Drive (M8 HN-M101MBB) which was purchased new from Amazon.com.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Oct 7, 2012
Quick update: First off, I can't thank you all enough for your help. You guys are full of nothing but awesome.

Here's what I've done so far based on some other feedback I've received. I cleared the cache again for Home, deleted Home, and once started it back up, I changed the cache size to 3 GB and so far, the thing is running like a champ. There are no more stutters and freezing and everything is loading almost instantly.

I had kept my Home cache size at 12 GB all the time and supposedly, as it was explained to me, some HDD's aren't too "friendly" with some of the cache size that are over 6 GB. I had never in my life thought to lower the cache size because I assumed that if I kept it at 12 GB, things/items would load just as fast and I wouldn't have to worry about things going into auto storage or downloading spaces again.

Since the change of cache size, it seems as if I have a brand new 1 TB SSD in my PS3 now. So far, I've considered it 'resolved' though I expect that this issue may pop up again.

Thank you Strider, Tease, nagon111, and HalfManHalfNerd.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (163 Views)