I Only Post Everything
1081 posts

Re: Up to $5 off PSN Purchase for Trophies (Feedback wanted)

Nov 3, 2009

LiquidJ wrote:

Well if you have a good wired connection, go help some old people in your neighborhood with some housework.  Then go get FIFA 10!  It is the gift that keeps on giving.  I'd also recommend Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, and now Dragon Age: Origins.  Take your pick. But having a PS3 with no games sounds like torture to me.

Also, they would only lose money if the same people who buy stuff now are the only people that buy stuff afterwards.  And the chances of that are pretty low, IMO.

I mean they could do something as simple as:

Get $1 PSN credit each time you level, and an extra $2 PSN credit for every 3rd level.  That's almost how GameStop does it and they aren't losing money.  They are raking it in.

• Bronze Trophy: 15 points (1)
  • Silver Trophy: 30 points (2)
  • Gold Trophy: 90 points (6)
  • Platinum Trophy: 180 points (12)
    • GTA is probably the maximum you could get for a full game (51 trophies ) = 1230 points
    • LittleBigPlanet (48 trophies ) = 1230 points
    • PixelJunk Eden (20 trophies ) = 315 points
    • Fat Princess (21 trophies ) = 315 points

• Level 1 - 0 pts - Freebie
  • Level 2 - 200 pts - At least 1 PSN game 
  • Level 3 - 600 pts - At least 1  Full game or 2 PSN games
  • Level 4 - 1200 pts - At least 1 Full game or 4 PSN games
  • Level 5 - 2400 pts - At least 2 Full games
  • Level 6 - 4000 pts - At least 3 Full games
  • Level 7 - 6000 pts - At least 5 Full games
  • Level 8 - 8000 pts - at least 6 Full games
  • Level 9 - 10000 pts - at least 8 Full games
  • Level 10 - 12000 pts - at least 10 Full games
  • Level 11 - 14000 pts - at least 11 Full games
  • Level 12 - 16000 pts - at least 13 Full games
  •  Level 13 - 24000 pts - at least 19 Full games
  • Level 14 - 32000 pts  - at least 26 Full games

Message Edited by LiquidJ on 11-03-2009 12:41 PM
Message Edited by LiquidJ on 11-03-2009 12:41 PM

It is torture Dx

I like your idea,  Sony is just bein stubborn again :smileytongue:

Photobucket

Even tho you locked my thread you cant hid the fact how lazy and bad u Home devs are.. >:l
Please use plain text.
Message 240 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Nov 4, 2009
woah good idea a little bitto technical for me but i get it so kudos to you. i hopw they do implement this because some of my freinds are like Whats the point of gettiing trophies man? and unlss your in it for colleting or for bragging rights trophies are kinda useless right now!
VISIT MY ONLINE T-SHIRT SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://pruesshirts.spreadshirt.com/

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 241 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Nov 4, 2009

Though I do not need the money (I earn enough), I still like the idea.

Trophies are a good recognition for your performance in a game.  In turn, having a "rebate" or pecuniary reward is a good recognition of your trophy collection.  I'm a trophy junkie, and I like collecting trophies because going after a PS3 game's trophies makes me enjoy every possible aspect of the game.  Plus, with the high prices of PS3 games (even though many of these games are well worth it) going after the trophies forces you to milk out the game's costs by exploring all its possibilities.

Also, I agree with your idea of having the award go to your PSN wallet and so it is still on the PSN server, and also if the purchases purchases something through the reward the money will go back to Sony anyway.

However, there is one particular problem, and that is the variation of trophy/platinum difficulties.  Imagine the following scenario:

There are two imaginary trophy hunters, "A" and "B".

1. "A" has ten platinums, and so has a lot of trophies under his sleeve.  Yet his platinums are games like Terminator Salvation, Hannah Montana, Ice Age 2, Trivial Pursuit, Buzz! TV, Resident Evil 5, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.. etc.

2. "B" cannot afford as many games as "A" does.  He has only three platinums.  However, they are: SOCOM, Killzone 2 and GTA IV.

Clearly, "A" has more trophies than "B," but "B" is a far superior gamer because it's not how many platinums he has, but the fact that he has a platinum in three of the most difficult platinums on the PS3.  In your proposal, LiquidJ, "A" would get more reward and more money simply by virtue of his high number of trophies, even though, despite the number, if he spent the same amount of time on one of "B's" platinums he still wouldn't have achieved it, and, possibly, never will. 

Clearly, "B" would deserve more recognition.

My solution would be to have BOTH the developers and Sony give rewards.  After all, no one knows how difficult the trophies/platinums are like the ones who designed it themselves.  Of course, NOT all developers should give rewards, only those who have games with difficult platinums.  Many gamers would see the challenge and thus decide to buy the game to get the trophies, but not all of them will succeed, and so  the developers will get more profit.  What's more, rewarding the hardcore players of a franchise will ensure that the developers maintain the huge fanbase by acknowledging and constantly rewarding their achievements. The rewards should be either money in the PSN, or possibly just codes to free map packs and DLC that others would have to buy.

Just my two (or more) cents.

(Yes, I do have that many trophies and yes, I am *that* fabulous.)
Please use plain text.
Message 242 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
358 posts

Nov 11, 2009

yazter wrote:

However, there is one particular problem, and that is the variation of trophy/platinum difficulties.  Imagine the following scenario:

There are two imaginary trophy hunters, "A" and "B".

1. "A" has ten platinums, and so has a lot of trophies under his sleeve.  Yet his platinums are games like Terminator Salvation, Hannah Montana, Ice Age 2, Trivial Pursuit, Buzz! TV, Resident Evil 5, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.. etc.

2. "B" cannot afford as many games as "A" does.  He has only three platinums.  However, they are: SOCOM, Killzone 2 and GTA IV.

Clearly, "A" has more trophies than "B," but "B" is a far superior gamer because it's not how many platinums he has, but the fact that he has a platinum in three of the most difficult platinums on the PS3.  In your proposal, LiquidJ, "A" would get more reward and more money simply by virtue of his high number of trophies, even though, despite the number, if he spent the same amount of time on one of "B's" platinums he still wouldn't have achieved it, and, possibly, never will. 

Clearly, "B" would deserve more recognition.

My solution would be to have BOTH the developers and Sony give rewards.  After all, no one knows how difficult the trophies/platinums are like the ones who designed it themselves.  Of course, NOT all developers should give rewards, only those who have games with difficult platinums.  Many gamers would see the challenge and thus decide to buy the game to get the trophies, but not all of them will succeed, and so  the developers will get more profit.  What's more, rewarding the hardcore players of a franchise will ensure that the developers maintain the huge fanbase by acknowledging and constantly rewarding their achievements. The rewards should be either money in the PSN, or possibly just codes to free map packs and DLC that others would have to buy.

Just my two (or more) cents

I do personally agree that SOCOM has more challenging trophies than other games.  However, I don't think that should matter in a rebate/loyalty program.  The point of a program such as this would be for SONY to incentivize customers who invest significant amounts of time and money into their system and its products to use the PSN Store which will house a lot of other things that may interest them. 
Granted, trophy hunter "A" may not have spent as much time getting each of their platinum trophies as trophy hunter "B".  However, when you look at both the amount of time and money invested by both you will see that trophy hunter "A" did earn their reward.  
The end result is that both Trophy Hunter A and Trophy Hunter B liked their purchases so much that they spent the time and effort to get all the trophies they could.  After reaching this point, it's pretty much acknowledged that there isn't too much life left in the game, and that these players will need a new one.  This program would just be acknowledging that they are good customers, who had good experiences, and who deserve great customer service.  Both now have more reasons, in the form of PSN credits, to continue being a Playstation customer.       

Please use plain text.
Message 243 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Dec 7, 2009
I think its a great idea
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by the Naughty-Kennel.com - Hot_Chicken909
Please use plain text.
Message 245 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Dec 7, 2009
that's a great idea
Please use plain text.
Message 246 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2681 posts

Dec 7, 2009
I don't understand why people think that they are entitled to anything like this for just completing tasks in a game. It really makes no sense to me.
Please use plain text.
Message 247 of 256 (4 Views)
Fender Bender
2906 posts

Dec 7, 2009
Damn fine idea!
Please use plain text.
Message 248 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
261 posts

Jun 23, 2010

And there goes the 300th Kudos provided by me.

The idea is well thought out and I'm pretty late on the finding of this topic, but I really give the support with the idea, but there comes back to the idea of companies don't want to give away games for free, unless it is a title that Sony owns that they can give away, but not certainly for free, (ex. Qore subscibers have been for many months in a row been given High Velocity Bowling for free, until recently when they gave .detuned)

Money is what it comes down to, not if you can get the most trophies.

Please use plain text.
Message 249 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 23, 2010

i say ooohhh YES!!!!!!

LiquidJ wrote:

Disclaimer:

This is no longer my idea it has become the brainchild of all of the people who posted in this thread (supporter or detractor).  This started out as a cash for trophies proposal and has been shaped by the PSN community into something more reasonable and just as rewarding.  I have changed the OP multiple times to reflect criticisms or suggestions brought up by others.  And the Subject has been changed to be more appropriate as well.  So, if you think you have already read this I implore you to reread the OP and see what has changed.

The Idea: 

SONY would help themselves and gamers by rewarding players for their earned trophies with discounts on future PSN purchases, especially in a recession. 

• By providing people a financial incentive to use the PSN Store, SONY would encourage people to spend their money on virtual stuff for HOME as well as games, movies, and other content from the PSN Store. 
  • As a beneficial side effect, PS3 customers might trade-in games a lot later than other gamers because the perceived value of the trophies will have gone up and so will the motivation to get them.  
  • This tactic also complements the Ad-based revenue strategy of HOME - because gamers will always be guaranteed to have some money in their PSN accounts to spend, so advertisers will always have a market to sell to. This is a win-win for everybody!

The Details:

Each game's trophies would provide discounts at the store via a redemption code in the following manner.

• Obtaining all bronze trophies unlocks a redemption code worth up to $1 off at the PSN store*.
  • Obtaining all bronze AND silver trophies increases the worth of that redemption code to up to $3 off at the PSN store*.
  • Obtaining all bronze, silver, AND gold trophies (i.e. earning the Platinum trophy) increases the worth of that redemption to up to $5 off at the PSN store*

* Users cannot combine codes from different games.

** For every $11 the user spends they can use their code to save $1, up to $5 off.

*** Exclusions would apply and would be up to SONY.  They would most likely only let us get a discount on a group of "Featured" items.

The promotion would be open to all gamers.  (It wouldn't matter whether you bought the game new, used, rented it, or borrowed it).

• I originally tried to make this a one coupon per disc solution but that has since been shown to be unreasonable.  I was under the impression that Blu-rays had unique IDs, but it seems that they only have one per title not per disc.
  • The money amounts have been widened to the point that SONY makes a profit every time and the user ends up purchasing something that can't be traded in or sold, making the small discount more than worth it for them.
  • Getting 100% of trophies takes a lot of time and effort and most likely will only be done by big fans of that game - so this is not like handing out free money for playing games.  This is like the rewards program that any retailer has in place except that it is geared towards gamers.

The Simpler Alternative:

Get $1 PSN credit each time you level, and an extra $2 PSN credit for every 3rd level.  That's almost how GameStop does it and they aren't losing money.  They are raking it in.

• Bronze Trophy: 15 points (1)
  • Silver Trophy: 30 points (2)
  • Gold Trophy: 90 points (6)
  • Platinum Trophy: 180 points (12)
    • GTA is probably the maximum you could get for a full game (51 trophies ) = 1230 points
    • LittleBigPlanet (48 trophies ) = 1230 points
    • PixelJunk Eden (20 trophies ) = 315 points
    • Fat Princess (21 trophies ) = 315 points

• Level 1 - 0 pts - Freebie
  • Level 2 - 200 pts - At least 1 PSN game 
  • Level 3 - 600 pts - At least 1  Full game or 2 PSN games
  • Level 4 - 1200 pts - At least 1 Full game or 4 PSN games
  • Level 5 - 2400 pts - At least 2 Full games
  • Level 6 - 4000 pts - At least 3 Full games
  • Level 7 - 6000 pts - At least 5 Full games
  • Level 8 - 8000 pts - at least 6 Full games
  • Level 9 - 10000 pts - at least 8 Full games
  • Level 10 - 12000 pts - at least 10 Full games
  • Level 11 - 14000 pts - at least 11 Full games
  • Level 12 - 16000 pts - at least 13 Full games
  •  Level 13 - 24000 pts - at least 19 Full games
  • Level 14 - 32000 pts  - at least 26 Full games

How is this profitable: 

The Traditional Model:

1. Publisher sells AAA game to Retailer (sometimes a distributor may be in the middle) for $48 (wholesale cost)

2. Publisher and Console Manufacturer split the Wholesale cost based on their prior agreement (Usually $40 to the publisher / $8 to SONY). 

3. Retailer sells game at $60 and pockets $12 for their troubles.

Publisher = $40, SONY = $8, Retailer = $12

4a. Gamer plays game and then goes back to Retailer to get a new,different one when they can afford it.  At most SONY makes $8; and in a recession gamers are going to be doing this less frequently than they currently are.

4b. Gamer plays game and then goes back to Retailer to get a used,different one when they can afford it.  At most SONY makes $0; and in a recession gamers are going to be doing this more frequently than they currently are.

Publisher = , SONY = , Retailer = (best case scenario of buying a used title for $55)

Now's where the proposed incentive plan comes into play

4c. Gamer plays game and then goes on to the PSN Store to use up their earned discount on a full priced game or movies.

5.  Gamer spends at the least $10 of their own money and at most $50 (could be higher if they decide to get stuff at full price).

6.  Sony and Developers split the online cost between 30/70 and 60/40.  In this scenario SONY makes $10.50* {(30% of $55) - $5} on games and movies.   

Publisher = , SONY = , Retailer = $12

* The revenue is smaller but the profit is higher if the user purchases HOME items and PSN games instead of a full priced game or movie.

Pros:

• This will drive traffic to the PSN Store and the increased demand will mean better support from developers and content creators.
  • In a recession, gamers are going to appreciate any help they can get in affording more games.
  • Trophy system will keep this from being an offer that is too generous to be permanent because the majority of people won't unlock all of the trophies
  • More users will participate in the HOME economy because they might put their $1 savings towards a piece of furniture or a new outfit instead.
  • SONY is not penalizing customers who can't afford to buy new and instead is giving them an incentive to check out the middle priced "new" games on the PSN.
  • The PSN will be successful quicker than anyone expects - Analysts don't believe direct-to-download will have much of an impact until 2012.
  • Possibility of using these towards reoccuring expenses within HOME, such as club monthly fees.
  • HOME could eventually create special items that could only be purchased with these discounts to give trophy earners something special that purchasers couldn't get.

Cons:

• SONY trades a slight bit of profit for potentially more customers
  • More Hackers looking to exploit trophies
  • More Developers making games with "easy to get trophies"
  • May not be able to use credits on the things you most want to use them on
  • If it doesn't work to encourage more sales backlash could be nasty.

Why this is necessary:

The free online that we enjoy rests on HOME's shoulders and because of this it will have trouble sustaining itself unless Gamers are rewarded with some assistance to get them personally invested in spending it on HOME items rather than elsewhere. It seems pretty obvious that only the hardcore gamers that want to show off are going to consistently invest their own money into HOME. The majority of gamers will use HOME to chat and game launch and may buy a handful of items, at most,  but probably will stop after awhile because there is no need to have multiple outfits, apartments, etc...

In most MMOs of this scale, there are attributes, activities, and gameplay that force players to replace their old stuff with new. In real life, things degrade over time or get ruined. In HOME, there is nothing but fanaticism to drive these purchases and this alone runs contrary to the interests of any of SONY's partners - because it takes away from what those fans would spend on DLC and other items already sold without SONY.

If gamers are able to earn money for HOME through playing games.  Then they will participate and some of them may even invest some of their real world cash into it afterwards since they have now invested time and energy into whatever they bought with the discounts.  And that's the key.  We don't want a skewed economy we're some of the users pay for everyone.  We will have a much more stable community and place to game online if everyone is able to contribute in their own way - whether that's paying outright for HOME items or indirectly by being a purchaser of PSN items.

I am still looking for feedback on this so feel free to chime in with your concerns, comments, and thoughts.  

I found some sources for the costs of a $60 game if you question my numbers (Forbes.com - Why Gears of War Costs $60 ).

Message Edited by LiquidJ on 11-11-2009 09:41 AM
Message Edited by LiquidJ on 11-11-2009 09:42 AM
Message Edited by LiquidJ on 11-11-2009 09:42 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 250 of 256 (4 Views)
0 Likes