Jun 30 2012
By: CortezNoI First Son 3 posts

More Spaces for Adults

18 replies 239 views Edited Jun 30, 2012

I've never been good at posting in forums, so I apologize if I don't do this right. I found a place on playstation home where I can make suggestions, and then I forgot where it was, so I came to this forum. I'm 30...something... and I love PSHome, but I feel like there are not very many "free" places for adults to hangout. I feel like I'm always surrounded by kids, but there are plenty of adult gamers out there, Alot of them are the ones making the games, so I think there should be some places that are age restricted. I'm sick of walking thru the mall, and all the little punk kids harrass me, cuz I haven't bought the latest "swag" from the stores. When I have money to spend, I spend it on games period. Anyway, I love PSHome, but I am so sick of the immaturity I have to deal with there. I also think there should be better profiles to make it easier to talk to people. I'd like to make some new friends on here, but you can't tell who anyone is, or even how old they are. I like other virtual worlds, where you can click on somebody, and look at a profile, so you know what you're getting into before you start a convo. Sorry this is so long, I guess that's it. Oh and thanks for all the free stuff.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (239 Views)
Splicer
46 posts

Re: More Spaces for Adults

Jul 11, 2012
Agreed.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1690 posts

Jul 11, 2012

CortezNoI wrote:

I like other virtual worlds, where you can click on somebody, and look at a profile, so you know what you're getting into before you start a convo. Sorry this is so long, I guess that's it. Oh and thanks for all the free stuff.

I see where you are coming from in regards to this, but this will be widely abused. Already, there are users that perv on someone for the mere fact their avatar is attractive looking. Even if it were voluntary to put information on a public profile, there are a lot of younger users that may be too trusting and will put up personal information on their profiles and will subject themselves to unwanted contact/harassment, much more than we already see on Home. It's safer to not have this feature to begin with.

Dedicating spaces solely for adults is not fool-proof either. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it's simple to lie about your age or change parental controls to gain access to adult only spaces. Besides, you mention that "you can't tell who anyone is, or even how old they are." Who's to say these "punk kids" can't actually be 40 year old immature trolls, looking to harass people?

P.S. You found the correct place to go to make suggestions for Home.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (208 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1442 posts

Jul 11, 2012

I share your sentiment about the immaturity of Home. And the reality is that since home is based in a gaming console, the target demographic will always be teenagers. Home does have some age gated areas, but again, they provide for no true age verification during the registration process. And the only way they could have "safe" age gated areas, is to have some sort of verification, which would require a change to account registration.

That being said, there are other options out there. I use home a majority of the time, but I don't need my apples to all be in the same basket. If I feel like having a more mature experience, I have an account with another virtual community which offers a lot of features that home does not, and probably never will.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (195 Views)
Sackboy
597 posts

Jul 11, 2012
What other communities do y'all visit, if you don't mind my asking?
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (190 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1231 posts

Jul 15, 2012
i agree with what you said about the profiles being better. I dont know the stats, but im guessing there are more ppl on home in the age group of 17-26. Not all younger people are bad. But i do tend to find older people in groups with older people. I even found them to be no different than kids...lol.

public spaces are ment for everyone and you can say that some places range in adult themes

What is a man? (Just look above)... "The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Final Boss
25375 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2012

We don't need to be divided due to age. And certain places in Home already support this.

People, old and young alike, can fake their ages.

Have you seen the behavior of some of the so-called adults in Home and on the forums?

All we have to do is to be where we want to be in the space or game of our own choosing. And everyone, old and young, should learn to respect and be polite to one another without being forced into an instance where we might not care for the folks there.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (158 Views)
Gaming Beast
1228 posts

Jul 25, 2012
I agree, I love meeting people of all ages and sometimes the younger people I've met are more respectful than the older people.
We should be able to enjoy all the spaces of Home and treat each other with kindness and respect.
Paying it forward........

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (129 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1231 posts

Jul 26, 2012
Thats how i feel... however people dont have the same heart that we do and people abuse others

What is a man? (Just look above)... "The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2904 posts

Jul 26, 2012

I totally agree with you man. Everything on Home seems to cater to teenage boys. They should make more personal or public spaces that are more adult oriented. It's not just kids on Home Sony.

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (109 Views)
0 Likes