Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Re: the treehouse

Jan 13, 2011

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Well to be fair the space was free in the EU for a limited time. It was a one year anniversay deal if I'm not mistaken. They later started charging for it. The same thing happened with the Final Fantasy space in Japan. Initially it was free for a week or two and then went into Estates for sale.

Yeah. I heard that it will be $4.99 for the first week and then it will be free.       Just kidding.  

Oooh! Photo magic !   Nice.  

Message 11 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Jan 13, 2011

hyperkane wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Well to be fair the space was free in the EU for a limited time. It was a one year anniversay deal if I'm not mistaken. They later started charging for it. The same thing happened with the Final Fantasy space in Japan. Initially it was free for a week or two and then went into Estates for sale.

Yeah. I heard that it will be $4.99 for the first week and then it will be free.       Just kidding.  

Oooh! Photo magic !   Nice.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HYPERCANE
- (super hurricane) - "...a system up to the size of N. America"
      *** First EA Sports Black Table - Diamond Bracelet Winner***
Jetsetters - PSHome Thread for Global Swag Scavengers and Event Goers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah it's a no deal for me becaue if I can't walk along those walkways it just a big no sale. And by the way the walkways will not support you very far from the entrance. Welcome to the abyss!

LoL

Message 12 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
432 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Conrad_Max wrote:

whyaskdouknow wrote:

Why do we pay for something that was free in other countries?

Ask the Developers of the space. Prices are determine by the creators of the spaces or items and can vary based on location, the exchange rate, contracts and business and tax laws.

One factor that had been mentioned by GlassWalls, that many overlooked, is localisation. It costs time and money and cannot be done at the flick of a switch.

Lastly, we do have a lot of free things in NA Home. Tons. Also, SCEA has given away full PS3 games in contests in Home. And with third party partners, some not from the gaming world, SCEA has given away more games and movies. That's pretty nice if you ask me.

Exactly, it's all up to the Devs and what they want to do with their items.

Very true, because they have to go over everything to make sure it's working right.

It is very nice.  I don't mind paying for a lot of things since we have received so many free items.

psplus.png

Photobucket
Message 13 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Conrad_Max wrote:

One factor that had been mentioned by GlassWalls, that many overlooked, is localisation. It costs time and money and cannot be done at the flick of a switch.

Yeah, because Europe doesn't already have localizations for English.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to bracket that with <sarcasm></sarcasm>.  My bad.

Message 14 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jan 13, 2011

Spaces in Europe are coded differently. They all need to support four languages, as opposed to the one here in NA. So there is localization involved. It's not as intense as converting Japanese to English, but it still took someone some time to do. It is not as simple as pressing a button.

I honestly don't know where people get the idea that development is that easy. It's not.

This space was free in EU for a few days during last year's Open Beta anniversary. EU was rather hard up for content at that time, which may be why they gave it away for free. In any case, it was their choice to do that, just as its LucasArts choice to give away Star Wars stuff from time to time.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 15 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Jan 13, 2011

From Carla's video, it looks beautiful - and the 'Myst'-like ambience is very enticing.  But, I cannot see any way to furnish it using existing furnishings and decor items in NA stores.  Conversely, although the Mansion is a lot more money to buy, furnishing it has been a lot of fun.  Same with the Amaterasu yacht. 

Some people like specific spaces for the built-in games. others as a fun place to design and furnish over and over again.  and others because of ties to specific video games or movies they love.  Sony is being smart in encouraging developers to diversify the offerings. 

Also, the Mansion raised the bar with the animated tiger just as the Amaterasu yacht did with the ever-changing scenery.  The Tree House would need some serious revamping before it would have broader appeal.

Message 16 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Jan 14, 2011

HearItWow wrote:

Spaces in Europe are coded differently. They all need to support four languages, as opposed to the one here in NA. So there is localization involved. It's not as intense as converting Japanese to English, but it still took someone some time to do. It is not as simple as pressing a button.

It took one person an hour or so to take out the unnecessary languages and re-export the collada files to binary format, and then one (other?) person an hour or so to copy the binaries to a web server and add references to them in the navigator, and then a third person in test (assuming they have test) about ten minutes to make sure it loads and tell the first two people it did.  That's how long it took.  (I don't know if I want to count the time GW spent writing it up for the blog.)  Even at professional dev/IT salaries, it only cost Sony about a hundred bucks' worth of man hours.  Maybe two hundred.

That's assuming there's even anything to localize in the treehouse, which appears very bare and probably even uses the externally-defined name for Central Plaza on the exit.

Come to think of it, I'd be surprised if anything in the resource was localized to begin with.  I'm adjusting my cost estimate to fifty bucks.

I honestly don't know where people get the idea that development is that easy. It's not.

I get it from being a professional, cross-platform, multi-region video game developer for 18 years.  This isn't even development, by the way.  Development is hard.  Moving an existing resource from a multi-loc region to a region with only a subset of the same locs is most certainly not.

Can't speak for other people.

Message 17 of 17 (21 Views)
0 Likes