VP of Gaming
28579 posts

Re: the secret about the update

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

With the millions and millions of dollars invested in Home by Developers and Users alike, it only makes sense that Home will continue beyond the PS3. Upgrades to graphics and options are possible. It's been done with MMORPGs, it can be done with Home.

If Sony were to shutdown Home, there would be millions of upset Users and Developers. Sony's confidence level would take a dive. And if they wished to start a new program similar to Home (as we know it), just how many people will jump on it knowing that the original Home was shutdown after man hours and money invested into it.

Home will continue to get bigger and better on the PS4, 5, 6 and beyond until Sony either crashes or PS Users lose interest in it.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 41 of 81 (269 Views)
Sackboy
443 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Not possible.

Don't think they have the time to graphically rework over 1,000+ items to be transferred for an updated PS4 engine.

Unless you mean transferring the PS3 version of Home onto the PS4, then maybe.

Message 42 of 81 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Oh, Home will be on the PS4, 5 & 6? Didn't know you had inside information Conrad.

YB

Message 43 of 81 (230 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

I don't think they will shut down PSHome either, once the PS4 comes around. It does give me a headache thinking on how they might implement Home in PS4.

Simple straight forward port to PS4 with no new features added (and all the original graphics stay in affect) will allow for PS3 and PS4 people to still interact with each other... but if they add more options to our avatars, like more facial feature or more clothing spaces like being able to wear a t-shirt with a jacket item or being able to have a left hand object and right hand object... how would that translate to someone still on the PS3 Home?

Then if a new shiny space is created that takes advantage of PS4 hardware... how does it affect the PS3 user? Devs would have to make two versions of the same space that play nice together (one with dumbed down graphics and one with the spiffy stuff). I suppose they could just block PS3 Home user from entering the space... or they just create spaces to the lowest common denominator.

Same goes with clothing item graphics.

Yeah, I have a headache now. Hope it works out in the end.

Message 44 of 81 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

With the millions and millions of dollars invested in Home by Developers and Users alike, it only makes sense that Home will continue beyond the PS3. Upgrades to graphics and options are possible. It's been done with MMORPGs, it can be done with Home.

If Sony were to shutdown Home, there would be millions of upset Users and Developers. Sony's confidence level would take a dive. And if they wished to start a new program similar to Home (as we know it), just how many people will jump on it knowing that the original Home was shutdown after man hours and money invested into it.

Home will continue to get bigger and better on the PS4, 5, 6 and beyond until Sony either crashes or PS Users lose interest in it.

Sony invests millions in just about ever project they ever do or did.  From games, CD's, movies, to blu ray players.  Finding something that Sony didn't invested millions in would be harder to do.  So right there I don't think ts a good point that you where trying to make.

Also keep in mind no one is saying that Sony is going to shutdown Home.  The PS3 will still have a live after the PS4 comes out life in Home will still go on like it always did when the PS4 comes out.  But are you going to sit there and tell me "if" Sony did make something better then Home people would not be happy?  What would you think if they had a Home "like" program on the PS4 but it was not Home and it was all done in 3D and it was part of the XMB and you could play all your games in this new world?

As I said in one of my past posts there seems to be a grate interest in VR wrolds right now and there are a lot of game developers working on there own VR worlds.  That is what I think will make the PS4 different then the PS3 is the VR.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 45 of 81 (183 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

with the last batch of info regarding Home users and PSN accounts, not a lot of people would be upset; with about only 30% of all PSN accounts having actually used Home at least once since launch as of March of last year(90million PSN accounts, 27million Home users).

also you have to consider that the majority of Home users are casuals. the ammount of cash they spend on Home doesnt hold a candle to the ammount of cash a regular gamer spends on PS out-side of Home.

but dont get me wrong, the user base is kind of big, but youre making it seem like that PlayStation will be ruined without Home. with or without Home, PlayStation will live on strong.

Message 46 of 81 (169 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Didn't Sony also invest millions of dollars in Betamax and Minidiscs? Where are they now?

Home is just as expendable as anything else.
castle3
Message 47 of 81 (152 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Honestly, if it wasn't for the day-to-day/weekly update spenders Home would drift away and die sooner. There is users who buy anything. Every week. There is at least three different kind of users on Home. Spenders, Social Spenders, and Casual Users who don't really put their money into this project. Because you know tons of users who didn't have PS Plus before 1.75 got it with the little features that can now use within Home. Most of them would never even use the Plus membership in the PS Store for games and etc

YB

Message 48 of 81 (135 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

I read comments from time to time that flat out make me laugh and some that scare me. Someday I'll do a tell-all. lol

I have heard the term Home is Sony's ''Cash cow'' It is not. it is a tough business. The losses compared to the profit have changed from year to year. How many big and small projects have been started but not completed? Small being shrink potions and Hover cars, Medium being estates like the crazy cool looking estate with a scary looking dungeon from nDreams. Big being  Steam Punk ''mmo'' which looked almost done when viewed on Qore way back when. Those were all in the pipe and well beyond concept.

Sony has had a choice to make for a long time now as to wether or not to pursue Home on PS4. After next week I hope to have more answers for you. more on that later I promise.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 49 of 81 (120 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28579 posts

Feb 17, 2013

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:
Didn't Sony also invest millions of dollars in Betamax and Minidiscs? Where are they now?

Home is just as expendable as anything else.

The difference is that Home is profitable. And as an application on the PSN, has no real competition.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 50 of 81 (118 Views)
0 Likes