VP of Gaming
34149 posts

Re: the secret about the update

Feb 17, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:
Didn't Sony also invest millions of dollars in Betamax and Minidiscs? Where are they now?

Home is just as expendable as anything else.

The difference is that Home is profitable. And as an application on the PSN, has no real competition.

thats actually a downside.

if Home had competition, it would have an "opponent" in which it would try to do better than; try to create more appeal and hope to bring in new people because its better. however, Home has no clear "opponent" therefore its competition is pretty much everything. Home has to do whatever it can to pull in an audience from everywhere, and such a feat is not easy to do.

Message 51 of 81 (156 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Feb 17, 2013
Dcuniverse online? Freerealms?
Support Forums
Message 52 of 81 (155 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29219 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Actually, Home is a service. In order to succeed, it has to provide good service. Or do it's best to do so through updates of the servce and programming.

But there is competition in Home. All of the Developers in Home are competing with each other in order to gain our attention, patronage and money. They not only have to be better than the others, but themselves, too, if they want us as supporters and regular customers.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 53 of 81 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

The difference is that Home is profitable. And as an application on the PSN, has no real competition.

Jersquall wrote:

I have heard the term Home is Sony's ''Cash cow'' It is not. it is a tough business. The losses compared to the profit have changed from year to year.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

So which is it, fellas?  Seems to be a difference of opinion among the Home boys. Smiley Tongue

castle3
Message 54 of 81 (132 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Feb 17, 2013

wow u can find type o's 

[Edited}
Message 55 of 81 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Feb 17, 2013

It has had profit, its still here but I doubt its a cash cow everyone thinks it is. Question is has it enough profit to move to the
PS4.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 56 of 81 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

With the millions and millions of dollars invested in Home by Developers and Users alike, it only makes sense that Home will continue beyond the PS3. 

Sony does not care about the millions of dollars that they've invested in Home unless they see a financially viable future.  Even more certainly, they care less about the money invested by users and developers. A massive corporation like Sony has vastly more important business partners than Lockwood Publishing, Granzella and Conrad_Max. I can assure you that your adulation of everything Sony is not a mutually shared emotion.

Conrad_Max wrote:

If Sony were to shutdown Home, there would be millions of upset Users and Developers. Sony's confidence level would take a dive. 

I'd also wager that shutting down Home would represent little more than an unfortunate blip in Sony's corporate history. They don't advertise the platform or do much of anything to raise the public's awareness of Home. They barely acknowledge it at E3. Do you really think that their confidence would take a dive from ending Home? The premise is laughable. The majority of PS3 owners don't even use Home on a regular basis, much less the consumer electronics demographic at large.

As it stands now, they'd only have to send out a press release stating that Home was a "beta-project that was being discontinued due to [insert random reason here]." Technically, the final version of Home has never even been released. 90% of Sony's loyal customers world-wide would probably shrug and ask, "What's Home?"

castle3
Message 57 of 81 (116 Views)
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
29219 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I love the positive and supportive attitude. It pretty much says "no personal investment involved".

Home is something I've wanted since the 1980s. I've invested dreams, time and money into it. Thus I will keep supporting and promoting it.

And if it does shut down as some people wish, I will move on.

Hit me again.

Message 58 of 81 (111 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

If Sony were to shutdown Home, there would be millions of upset Users and Developers. Sony's confidence level would take a dive. And if they wished to start a new program similar to Home (as we know it), just how many people will jump on it knowing that the original Home was shutdown after man hours and money invested into it.

Millions?  Really?  Where did you get thoes numbers.  Also Developers?  Does not seem as if Home has game developers lineing up to make game spaces in Home.   When was the last time we got a game space in Home?  Let's deal with the facts here not made up stuff.

Conrad_Max wrote:

I don't think Home is as profitable as some would think.  Sony gives us hints but the numbers Sony tell us about just tell us how many people that have ever loged onto Home.  One time users are NOT profitable for Sony. 

Also remember that profitable means nothing!  The question is will Home be on the PS4 but what most people are not getting is the program would have to work on the PS3 and PS4.  There for no real improvements can be made to Home if this happens.  For example better graphics or other things the PS4 could do to a 3D VR world or the power to let our Avatars do more.

That's why I've been saying we would be better off if we just made a bigger and better Home like VR world for the PS4.

Conrad_Max wrote:

Actually, Home is a service. In order to succeed, it has to provide good service. Or do it's best to do so through updates of the servce and programming.

But there is competition in Home. All of the Developers in Home are competing with each other in order to gain our attention, patronage and money. They not only have to be better than the others, but themselves, too, if they want us as supporters and regular customers.

Once again not ture.  Sony has been talking about bring other VR worlds to the PS3/PS4 platform.  Free Realms is already on the PS3 and more will be comeing to the PS4.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 59 of 81 (105 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29219 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 19, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

Sony has been talking about bring other VR worlds to the PS3/PS4 platform.  Free Realms is already on the PS3 and more will be comeing to the PS4.

I may be wrong, but Free Realms (a game from SOE) is a game, whereas Home is a service from SCE.

Inregards to the first post, I do see that the 1.75 update could be one step towards Home being a part of the PS4 (and beyond).

Message 60 of 81 (101 Views)
0 Likes