VP of Gaming
28385 posts

Re: reasons why there should be an adults only sections on the HOME.

Aug 11, 2009

Fjord83 wrote:

OK, well like I had said, I wasn't sure if they could access those locations or not. I had heard that they could not but I'm not under 18 and I'm not going to make a fake profile to find out so...

Actually, many people (no matter what their age) have difficulty accessing some areads within Home. Luckily, for most it is an easy 'fix".

I beleive that when the PS3 was developed, it was assumed that an adult would be the primary user and children would use subaccounts. Thus that little proble. But, I am off topic. You may now return to your regularly scheduled "discussion". 

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 231 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
243 posts

Aug 12, 2009

I get the slight feeling that there are a select few who have given their personal opinion on this topic that have remained stuck on to just one argument against the seperate spaces.

to those individuals I would like to say get a new one and if you are not for the seperate spaces do not waste your time trying to convince us there is something wrong with the concept of a "zoned" HOME.

please Kudo this thread if you are FOR a zoned HOME with given spaces for both adults, gamers and young childlike gamers(who apparently may not be so much a child but a perv-boy pretending to be a child...for whatever reason someone would want to do that, apparently there are some who have posted on here that would actually lie about their age and act as a child.)

"If you're good at something, never do it for free. " The Joker in The Dark Knight.
Message 232 of 240 (3 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1524 posts

Aug 12, 2009

i think some of you are also over looking the future...

as the entertainment industry dies, mostly with movies, which are costing a ton and tanking, they are gonna have to find new markets. that includes young AND OLD markets.

"convergence" is gonna be a big word in the future cuz movies are gonna tie more and more with games and online experiences that deepen the whole process. thats easy for disney. but you can also hope to see in the future things like the rumored game that Del Torro is releasing to coincide with his zombie movie. that is convergence on an adult scale.

its not like they are gonna stop making R rated movies. gta is my first example of content that is obviously aimed at adults (please, children, yes we know you played, you werent sposed to, your parents are at fault for that and  its does little to engender any form of respect when you admit to having played it ) and is an immersive expereince as well as being a game. if we were to base Sony home zones on sales alone... uh i think a lotta you would be on here BEGGING to get into the liberty city section of Home so you could drive around... sounds nice huh? oh wait <fingersnap> cant do it cuz of the way it is. 

"Avatar" will be a huge hit with kids on home im sure at some point. its gonna be a big "experience" that shakes up the industry. hopefully.

after that you can expect to see in the future, more and more games and online experiences aimed at convergence and immersion and a growing segment of that market is gonna be adults like it or not because the industry has to make up for what its losing in movie income, because the market is there and has money and because people will cater to a market that has money.

its naive to think there is no value in a 18 and up zone in home. it may seem slightly premature and some of the younger people are going to feel "left out" but thats ok. eventually itll be old news and everyone can move on to whining about whatever it is thats new to whine about.

peace

B

Bassmeant Productions Studios
Ann Arbor Michigan
Message 233 of 240 (3 Views)
First Son
30 posts

Aug 12, 2009
Very good points. If these aren't enough to at least turn some heads on the subject then I don't know what will.
Message 234 of 240 (3 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
243 posts

Aug 12, 2009

I really liked what the last too post have stated and it shows that there are people thinking as hard if not harder than any Sony employee to help grow our access to entertainment, and thus I have this to say.

as B-HEEZY stated if this thread does not turn heads I don't know what will, I have to say that the only way we will get or point across is if we start kidnapping the PS3's belonging to the ones who would oppose this "zoned" HOME..Maybe then they would give in.

it is only a joke but who knows how deep this topic will take us.

but in closing and on a more serious note I would like to pose a very obvious and easy to follow comparison between the world of gaming as an industry and a nations government.

right now we face a crisis home and abroad, the economy has many people in a constant state of panic and so our leaders try to establish control and put our minds at ease.

Amazingly our current leader of the white house has in actuality considered legalizing something so illegal that under current law would have you put in the prison system for 5 yrs mandatory.

not to mention some states have even gone further by planning to legalize the "worlds oldest profession" this should be kept in mind, now I dare not go into detail on both these points for the obvious reasons stated in the OP.

the video game industry I believe is at a stand still right now, or a cease fire if you will, and like every-other industry the video game world is being effected by the economic crisis, now if Sony is the power house that it is or was... I predict that the game developers will turn to the AO community or they will start to cater more to the M gamers, instead of the easy target that are children gamers.

lets just face it with the economy the way it is right now, more and more parents are reluctant in spending $60 for a game their child will only skim thru get 50% completion and then trade in for less than half of the purchase price. the point being is that only people with jobs are willing to gamble and spend their money on a video game freely, I do not know what the legal age is in other states but here is something along the lines of 15 or a bit older.

in order to save our video game culture we must turn to what has not been done in the past, those who fear change should change their diapers right about........

now. 

"If you're good at something, never do it for free. " The Joker in The Dark Knight.
Message 235 of 240 (3 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1524 posts

Aug 12, 2009

i dunno if it was intentional or not

but the bulk of the industry screwed up this summer.

there hasnt been a single good release all year (im a squad based shooter so im speakin from that perspective / future MAGgot)

i dunno if it was a schedule thing or they werent payin attention to their competitor but they seem to have all stacked up for the fall (granted sales would increase going into the holiday season, but cmon...)

to me the game industry is doing what the music industry used to do (this actually helped screw the industry in my book)

they are looking at their competition to see what they should release next... listening to the radio to see what kind of band to sign.

nobodys really innovating... mag is gonna be great but its not gonna be the next big thing. gta was the next big thing but now sandbox play has become mainstream.

single player mode is dying off and no one can figure out what is a good selling pitch

1. obviously they are lacking in compelling story ideas. ( 2 exceptions = "I Am Alive" is a single player ill take a wack at and "The Last Guardian" is actually gonna be one of those games that has the potential to make you cry at the end, depending on how the storyline goes) either its zombie  outbreak or you and your squad of gunners go do this thing or its a non linear finish the mission type of thing. but none of the actual story arch is of any quality to make any of em stand out.

2. they arent trying to outthink each other, merely piggyback on each others successess. if a game is good, another company makes a game thats almost the same, but with 2 different new things. thats not enough. also the whole paradigm of releasing a game and immedietly talking about the sequal is a real pisser. you just got my 60 bucks... now youre telling me what im playin is obsolete and you want another 60 bucks in about 5 months. pfff F that. how bout you make a game that has a shelf life of more then 5 months? how bout making a game that people WANT to play for more then 5 months? and it cant include friggin swords and dragons... thats been done. oh wait, they cant think of anything new 2 come up with...

as the tech becomes cheaper and as morons like me come closer and closer to being able to purchase a game dev system of my own, then some day there might be some fringe indie movement that makes games that are so new and odd that they dont come with instructions...

kinda like life

peace

B

ps

sorry that was a rough one

Message Edited by BASSMEANT_RAW on 08-12-2009 12:15 PM
Bassmeant Productions Studios
Ann Arbor Michigan
Message 236 of 240 (3 Views)
Fender Bender
3539 posts

Aug 12, 2009
maybe this can be done by having Custumized ID CARDS in home
Photobucket
Message 237 of 240 (3 Views)
Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Aug 12, 2009
finally someone with my thoughts exactly i'm in my 30's and i'm tired of little children running around home playing childish games with other peoplebeing immature.there should be more way more adult oriented spaces in home ASAP. for those who have said go to places like second life if you want adult oriented places. I say NO thats what a young person would say lol. If ps3 home is a place for everyone then there should be adult oriented spaces just like in real life.then i could come on home and enjoy myself the way i want too way more then i'am now.thanks for this thread PLEASE DEVELOPERS MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Message 238 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1687 posts

Aug 12, 2009

KrazePOPEYE wrote:
finally someone with my thoughts exactly i'm in my 30's and i'm tired of little children running around home playing childish games with other peoplebeing immature.there should be more way more adult oriented spaces in home ASAP. for those who have said go to places like second life if you want adult oriented places. I say NO thats what a young person would say lol. If ps3 home is a place for everyone then there should be adult oriented spaces just like in real life.then i could come on home and enjoy myself the way i want too way more then i'am now.thanks for this thread PLEASE DEVELOPERS MAKE THIS HAPPEN

1. just like countless people have said if you want real life go outside and turn off the tv

2.i think they ment everyone as in everyone interacts with each other.

Photobucket

Message 239 of 240 (3 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Aug 26, 2009
I am in my 30's and want to enjoy what HOME and other open PS3 arena's have to offer.  But honestly, I am creeped out a little in HOME when people talk to me and I am old enough to be their dad. I don't mind being a "father figure", but it would be nice to have a deviation to go to where I can connect with older gamers especially in a forum such as HOME. This is not about "being real" just being able to relate with gamers in my generation as well as the rest of the community. I don't want "seperation" but an addition to the HOME community.
Message 240 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes