Sackboy
533 posts

Re: reasons why there should be an adults only sections on the HOME.

Aug 8, 2009

something very simple...have ur E-mail be ur activacation... several chat rooms /blogs u activate ur account through ur Email..a teen who dosent have an email acount could make a fake acount & going by a world wide computerized address book....psn can check if the address is a valid address so phycial items could be sent to u & having PSN as an over 18 entity & sending u a psn/PSH membership card..... ppl could actually win stuff (if sony dose decide to do that) like get the delux box of whatever movie on BD or GOW a week b4 it hits the stores...or whatever sony wants to do... maybe an all expence trip to the nxt E3 coference....would u wait the extra 10-30 mind to have pen to send u an Email to activate ur acount...1 of the main reasons i would have home as an over 18 area is trollers...u dont know who the other AV is...they could be a 10 year old child or a S3X offender who preys on kids...if home had voice... it would be different... 

2000 trophies lvl 15

HOMELING -- MS-3
Message 191 of 240 (3 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1262 posts

Aug 8, 2009

BigBoss712188 wrote:

1- locked posts because they read "red light district." 
2-the adult/young adult community is tired of being aggravated by the younger gamers with their childishness.
3-It sometimes feels like we cant say anything without a MOD on HOME complaining.
4-the video game community should grow up. (look at japanese gamers they get all the good *****...)
5-it is not as if schools dont have classes dedicated to topics that would get your thread locked on the PS3 forums, or get you banned from HOME.
6- if an A/O or an M rated area is ever created it would make the amount of content in HOME grow.
7- Hopefully due to a rather strict enforcement of online code of conducts in this designated A/O or M rated areas there would be less childishness to deal with, hence it would force gamers to act in a mature manner once in these areas.
8-we want to see more M rated content on HOME.
9-gamers who are older would have a safe heaven that they would not have to share with younger gamers. Imagine some gamers have kids, not only do they have to deal with their own kids at home, but with the kids online in HOME as well.
10-an A/O area or M rated area would make it easier for the ever vigilant and some times oppressive moderators to filter the good gamers(mature yet fun loving) from the bad gamers (immature punks online who do nothing but spam harass etc.) 

**this include the adult and young adults.
Considering adult can pay more so than kids, these A/O or M rated areas would generated money quicker and with more appeal.

12- more than one adult and young adult gamers actually want Mature content on HOME.
13-the older community can clearly appreciate video games and their content more so and than the younger gamers.
14-there are already AO spaces, bars, clubs etc (in real life!) that do not allow kids. 

***naturally this could go one way or the other, there would be a mass change in the HOME app, and it would be for users of 18+ or there would be zones that would be only be for kids of a certain age, and there would be zones for adults and young "adults." Obviosly the adults would have the ability to go into either zones, but under aged children could not. That is life, that is the way things have been and will continue to be, why not on the PS HOME as well that claims to be almost a second life.

WAYS TO PREVENT FAKE INFO and FAKE ACCOUNTS***

1-a credit card would grant access to the A/O or M rated areas.
2-there would be a "parental lock" option.
3-the age of the gamer/user should be displayed on their PSN gamer ID tags.

MAINTAINING AN AO/KIDS ONLY SPACE IF IT EVER HAPPENS.

1-self governing by the gamers themselves.
2-enforcing a code of conduct not just amongst gamers but amongst people on the PS Home etc.
3-decrease in immaturity and harassment.
4-there would be a place where immature adults and and annoying kids would be sent, they can be called "the corner" or "the day care center" one week or month in one of these places and I am sure no kid or adult would dare annoy the rest of the community. On HOME OR OFF***

lets use ADULT SWIM as our main example, though I am not the biggest fan ever since Futurama was moved to C.C, It was an obvious move by the execs to attract the generations that grew up with Cartoon Network. If you haven't watched some of the shows you should as Cartoon Network airs kids shows in the morning and afternoons until later in the night where some of the commercials and shows are clearly not meant for kids.

these AO and M spaces would be a way for the gaming industry to grow with along with its older and still growing gamers.

"if you are good at something never do it for free..."
-The Joker in the Dark Knight.

I should start charging SONY for my knowledge

Message Edited by BigBoss712188 on 07-07-2009 12:42 PM
Message Edited by BigBoss712188 on 07-07-2009 12:42 PM

I love this post. Kudos.

GamerIndepth.net!
Message 192 of 240 (3 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Aug 8, 2009

Conrad_Max wrote:

BigBoss712188 wrote:

3-It sometimes feels like we cant say anything without a MOD on HOME complaining.

Below you state that with this plan it would be easier for Moderators to "filter the good gamers from the bad gamers", yet here you state that you feel as if "sometimes" you are unable to say anything. What do you mean? And, exactly what is it that you want to say that you feel the Moderators will not approve of? Do you have the urge to (gasp) curse or mention unmentionables?

A great part of being an adult is learning self-discipline and self-control. As adults, we have learned when and where to say or not say anything. The problem with most online communities, many of it's users either forget about this or purposefully put it aside upon entering that community.

47- Hopefully due to a rather strict enforcement of online code of conducts in this designated A/O or M rated areas there would be less childishness to deal with, hence it would force gamers to act in a mature manner once in these areas.

Right now, we do not have such areas, but that shouldn't prevent people from acting mature, should it? And quite a few people here and in Home complain that the Moderators are already too strict, as you said with, "It sometimes feels like we can't say anything without a MOD on HOME complaining."

10-an A/O area or M rated area would make it easier for the ever vigilant and some times oppressive moderators to filter the good gamers(mature yet fun loving) from the bad gamers (immature punks online who do nothing but spam harass etc.) 

No comment. It speaks for itself.

Some parent's happily punch in the information for their kids themselves. Some kids get the information on their own.  

We already have that. Due to it, some adults cannot enter Home or certain spaces. But, it's easy to unlock. 

Some people do not like sharing their age. It is a matter of privacy that is enforced by SCEA and many people in the community. You can share your age if you want, but you cannot be force to do so. And, even with your suggestion, people can still fake it. So, you will still have kids mingling with the adults and the adults "playing" with the children.

How can it be when many have shown that they have no self-discipline - even on a discussion board?

2-enforcing a code of conduct not just amongst gamers but amongst people on the PS Home etc.

We can do that right now by maintaining self-discipline and being proactive in reporting offenders.

See previous comment.

4-there would be a place where immature adults and and annoying kids would be sent,  can be called "the corner" or "the day care center". One week or month in one of these places and I am sure no kid or adult would dare annoy the rest of the community. On HOME OR OFF***

Offenders currently get suspended or banish, yet upon their return, some still act inappropriately. It works for some and not for others.

Additionally, on a positive note, some people learn their lesson upon receiving their first (and hopefully only) warning.

My feeling is this: It is up to us to set the tone and atmosphere of Home, by our actions and words. If we set a good example, be proactive in reporting offenders and showing support of the Moderators, the rules and the community, we can do a whole lot more than by having a segregateted community. Segregation will only contribute to animosity and resentment. Instead of pushing our community apart, we should be working to bring it together. Sure we have problematic children in Home, but the biggest problem is the problematic adult.

Why are these "adults" a problem for Home? Maybe they are tired of being adults at work, with their spouses and sweethearts and with their children. Perhaps, here, in an online community, they feel that they can just let go and not be responsible adults? But, for those people, they will learn, perhaps the hard way, that even here they must retain some of their "grown up ways". Sadly, some children see how some of the adults are acting and decide to do the samething.

The solution to the problem would be to set the example. Be the adult, even if we don't want to be, be respectful and polite and be proactive in ther support of our community. We wouldn't have to be stoic and unemotional about it. We can still kid around and have fun. But let's do so within the rules that we accepted upon joining the PlayStation Network and Home. It's not too hard to do this at all.

I understand where you're coming from, but I also understand the consequences of forced segregation. I've been there.

Conrad, my man, I wish I could give more than one Kudo to you for this one. I couldn't agree more! I'd offer something extra and all, but honestly you said just about all! I'll come back later though if I can think of anything else.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 193 of 240 (3 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
294 posts

Aug 8, 2009

Making this room would be pointless cause then the "Kids" aka Noobs would just make a adult profile and do the same then what it just starts all over again

Sorry but I'd just be happy with what we got now then making dumber then what it is now 

Add cheek out my friends band
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/falsewitness
Youtube:youtube.com/user/FalseWitnessVideos

Photobucket
Message 194 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28562 posts

Aug 8, 2009

BigBoss712188 wrote:

Below you state that with this plan it would be easier for Moderators to "filter the good gamers from the bad gamers", yet here you state that you feel as if "sometimes" you are unable to say anything. What do you mean? And, exactly what is it that you want to say that you feel the Moderators will not approve of? Do you have the urge to (gasp) curse or mention unmentionables?

A great part of being an adult is learning self-discipline and self-control. As adults, we have learned when and where to say or not say anything. The problem with most online communities, many of it's users either forget about this or purposefully put it aside upon entering that community.

47- Hopefully due to a rather strict enforcement of online code of conducts in this designated A/O or M rated areas there would be less childishness to deal with, hence it would force gamers to act in a mature manner once in these areas.

Right now, we do not have such areas, but that shouldn't prevent people from acting mature, should it? And quite a few people here and in Home complain that the Moderators are already too strict, as you said with, "It sometimes feels like we can't say anything without a MOD on HOME complaining."

No comment. It speaks for itself.

Some parent's happily punch in the information for their kids themselves. Some kids get the information on their own.  

We already have that. Due to it, some adults cannot enter Home or certain spaces. But, it's easy to unlock. 

Some people do not like sharing their age. It is a matter of policy that privacy that is enforced by SCEA and many people in the community. You can share your age if you want, but you cannot be forced to do so. And, even with your suggestion, people can still fake it. So, you will still have kids mingling with the adults and the adults "playing" with the children.

How can it be when many have shown that they have no self-discipline - even on a discussion board?

We can do that right now by maintaining self-discipline and being proactive in reporting offenders.

See previous comment.

4-there would be a place where immature adults and and annoying kids would be sent,  can be called "the corner" or "the day care center". One week or month in one of these places and I am sure no kid or adult would dare annoy the rest of the community. On HOME OR OFF***

Offenders currently get suspended or banished, yet upon their return, some still act inappropriately. It works for some and not for others. 

Additionally, on a positive note, some people learn their lesson upon receiving their first (and hopefully only) warning.

My feeling is this: It is up to us to set the tone and atmosphere of Home, by our actions and words. If we set a good example, be proactive in reporting offenders and showing support of the Moderators, the rules and the community, we can do a whole lot more than by having a segregateted community. Segregation will only contribute to animosity and resentment. Instead of pushing our community apart, we should be working to bring it together. Sure we have problematic children in Home, but the biggest problem is the problematic adult.

Why are these "adults" a problem for Home? Maybe they are tired of being adults at work, with their spouses and sweethearts and with their children. Perhaps, here, in an online community, they feel that they can just let go and not be responsible adults? But, for those people, they will learn, perhaps the hard way, that even here they must retain some of their "grown up ways". Sadly, some children see how some of the adults are acting and decide to do the samething.

The solution to the problem would be to set the example. Be the adult, even if we don't want to be, be respectful and polite and be proactive in ther support of our community. We wouldn't have to be stoic and unemotional about it. We can still kid around and have fun. But let's do so within the rules that we accepted upon joining the PlayStation Network and Home. It's not too hard to do this at all.

I understand where you're coming from, but I also understand the consequences of forced segregation. I've been there.

Message Edited by Conrad_Max on 08-08-2009 08:14 AM
The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 195 of 240 (3 Views)
Sackboy
533 posts

Aug 8, 2009

WolfGang-KJ wrote:

Making this room would be pointless cause then the "Kids" aka Noobs would just make a adult profile and do the same then what it just starts all over again

Sorry but I'd just be happy with what we got now then making dumber then what it is now 

PSN locks out the the PS3 when they bann a person...

2000 trophies lvl 15

HOMELING -- MS-3
Message 196 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
855 posts

Aug 8, 2009
Why are we allowing this tripe of a thread to continue. It was a bad idea when first posted months ago, bad idea last week, and gasp bad idea now. All I see from hardcore supporters is bashing of younger PSN users. Kids are NOT the problem immaturity is. An A/O area serves absolutely no purpose but to discriminate, segregate, and allow immature adults freedom the don't deserve. The only words filtered are swears, if you have a problem with this get a thesaurus. So my final final opinion on an A/O area is this. :*facepalm**facedesk**bleeding**facedesk**concussion**facedesk**brain damageamageamage*
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 197 of 240 (3 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1524 posts

Aug 8, 2009

putting zombies in BFBC2 is a bad idea.

taking FF away from 43 was a bad idea.

having an adult section in home is not a bad idea.

the dude above just doesnt agree with it.

Good thing he doesnt run governmental stuff.

If you dont agree with it, then dont put in your two cents. But dont sit here and pose like you are correct just cuz you think you are.

It's obvious there are enough people who want it to merit a post. And yet... another post.

Adult section in home = more ad revenue that could be spent on the kids area.

adult section in home = small pay to play fee to keep things moving and to clear out the kids

Adult section in home = if kids get in, then Sony is obsolved of the responsability because it was the kids PARENTS who failed in their job to supervise their child.

Adult section in home = does not mean **bleep**, swearing etc alone. It just means that there will be less kid stuff going on. Kinda like in a bar. Nothing different in a bar then in the real world, jsut you gotta be 21 to get in.

dont be so threatened by it.

peace

B

Bassmeant Productions Studios
Ann Arbor Michigan
Message 198 of 240 (3 Views)
I Only Post Everything
855 posts

Aug 8, 2009
Thank you for further proving my point. Ok to clarify in an A/O area we will have: swearing, adult advertising (I guess this means alcohol and cigarettes), it will be a pay area, and younger PSN users won't be allowed to enter. I hope I accurately described this vision of the A/O area. Now if you want to give revenue to Home buy items in the mall. This idea is reminiscent of giving guns to ex felons. Sure alot of people ask for it, doesn't make it a good idea. You yourself RAW haven't given a valid reason why Sony should do this. All I hear is tap dancing around the issue of immaturity being the problem. But no lets blame kids. Ok if any person under the age of 21 is reading this leave immediately. You are ruining "adult time".
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 199 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1505 posts

Aug 8, 2009

What's the problem with kids? Why the discrimination? Home is supposed to be 'Everyone's ' place,  the young, and old.  Yes, there r M rated game spaces on home but MOST 'M' rated materials in them r filtered and taken away in those spaces.  

There's nothing special of being an 'ADULT', and being an adult does not grant you extra 'freedom' .  if u r an adult,  there r in fact more  restrictions to comply than extra freedom for u to 'mess around' .

besides, im 100% sure the majority of those 'regular'  pervs, harassers on home r in fact immature 'young adults' . 18~20yrs old.

Message Edited by amblin1980 on 08-08-2009 08:06 AM
Message 200 of 240 (3 Views)
0 Likes