Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Re: "Wait, why was THAT censored?!" Word filter tweaks

Mar 21, 2010

J-T-W-NY writes: "...the community in general isn't mature enough to handle a toggle switch.  The general population in Home can't even be trusted with bubble machines..."

Funny and oh-so-true.

Message 21 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2949 posts

Mar 21, 2010

Well...I haven't seen as many bubble machines out lately.  It just takes time.

BEWARE OF THE SPEEDING WHITE SAUSAGE!!!!!
mercia comic here --> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-General/duty-to-the-spirit-mercia-comic/m-p/37428903/thread-id/1089731/highlight/false
Message 22 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Re: "Naughty" Words in Home, or "Wait, what?!"

Mar 21, 2010

Here are my thoughts:

,gman_harmon wrote:

"My suggestion for March is a major overhaul of the profanity/censorship filter in Home.

We have more pressing issues in Home right now then the overhaul of the profanity filter, while i agree it should be fixed i dont feel now is the time.

This can be accomplished by a simple On/Off toggle in the Settings/Safe Mode menu, a revised and refreshed list of 'hot' words to be censored with the current system, or the implementation of a real-time heuristic module within Home to keep bad words invisible while preserving the other words and phrases that happen to share certain strigs of letters that trip the censors, yet whose meanings are perfectly innocuous.

This is a good idea and sounds very nice on paper but would most likely be extremely to create. On off is simple enough, but the rest would be a challenge and like i said we have other areas to focus efforts on at this time. 

Odds are the good majority of users who are reading this are at an age where one can discern the differences between good and bad words, and are fed up with having simple phrases mangled by an elementary and cut-rate censor which has no "gray area" to discern the innocuous from the obscene."

Yes all of us know the bad words, this does not mean they should be allowed in Home. Remember Home is for ages 13 and up, sure every 13 year old might know their share of swears but seeing them put to use regularly in Home is not something i would be thrilled about for anyone of any age. You should speak in Home as you do to people in any situation and profanity is just not how i show my friends, myself, or anyone else the respect they deserve. 

*snip*

@Jim777PS
Message 23 of 77 (21 Views)
Wastelander
797 posts

Mar 21, 2010

,Jim777 wrote:

Here are my thoughts:

,gman_harmon wrote:

This can be accomplished by a simple On/Off toggle in the Settings/Safe Mode menu, a revised and refreshed list of 'hot' words to be censored with the current system, or the implementation of a real-time heuristic module within Home to keep bad words invisible while preserving the other words and phrases that happen to share certain strigs of letters that trip the censors, yet whose meanings are perfectly innocuous.

This is a good idea and sounds very nice on paper but would most likely be extremely to create. On off is simple enough, but the rest would be a challenge and like i said we have other areas to focus efforts on at this time. 

No offense, but as someone who codes for a living I can tell you, it's as simple as can be.

Odds are the good majority of users who are reading this are at an age where one can discern the differences between good and bad words, and are fed up with having simple phrases mangled by an elementary and cut-rate censor which has no "gray area" to discern the innocuous from the obscene."

Yes all of us know the bad words, this does not mean they should be allowed in Home. Remember Home is for ages 13 and up, sure every 13 year old might know their share of swears but seeing them put to use regularly in Home is not something i would be thrilled about for anyone of any age. You should speak in Home as you do to people in any situation and profanity is just not how i show my friends, myself, or anyone else the respect they deserve. 

Good, then kindly leave your filter on. No one is forcing you to listen or view vulgarity or use it. All gman (and myself, many times) have asked for is the ability to adjust what WE ARE VIEWING AND TO HAVE THE CHOICE BE OURS. I don't need someone spoonfeeding me their version of what is ok to read or view. 

stuff

Message 24 of 77 (21 Views)
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Mar 21, 2010

,x-cult wrote:,

No offense, but as someone who codes for a living I can tell you, it's as simple as can be. BTW, extremely is an adverb, not a noun.

I have a very small history of coding, i know a handful of C and Java so believe me i dont claim to know more then you in this area. So ill take your word for it. 

Good, then kindly leave your filter on. No one is forcing you to listen or view vulgarity or use it. All gman (and myself, many times) have asked for is the ability to adjust what WE ARE VIEWING AND TO HAVE THE CHOICE BE OURS. I don't need someone spoonfeeding me their version of what is ok to read or view. 

Like i said X-cult im all for user control, so an on off switch is a great idea.

@Jim777PS
Message 25 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1307 posts

Mar 21, 2010

gman_harmon wrote:

I posted this in the March Misc. Suggestion Thread, but I will repeat it here so it won't be buried under more suggestions and forgotten.

Here's my original post in that thread:

"My suggestion for March is a major overhaul of the profanity/censorship filter in Home.  This can be accomplished by a simple On/Off toggle in the Settings/Safe Mode menu, a revised and refreshed list of 'hot' words to be censored with the current system, or the implementation of a real-time heuristic module within Home to keep bad words invisible while preserving the other words and phrases that happen to share certain strigs of letters that trip the censors, yet whose meanings are perfectly innocuous.

Now, we can all safely say that the word filter is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was in the very first days of Open Beta, when even the canned response "Hello" was massacred.  Still, a few lingering hiccups are there, including but not limited to: isn't it; ain't it; wouldn't it; who?; who're (here used as an abbreviation for "who are"); can all; and these are just a fraction of the innocuous words that get stopped in the filter's net.  Some users often find out that they can't say certain friends' names, or even their own.

My first solution is to simply allow users the option to toggle the filter on and off as they see fit.  I can be fairly certain that a couple of you reading this are saying "Absolutely!"  Well, I'm right there too.  This would be the option with the fewest question-marks for implementation and app stability, and probably the most accepted one in the community.  We can turn on and off the bubble machines, why not the filter?  It's a win-win for everyone: those who couldn't care less about what's being said can turn it off and carry on a conversation and not have to interrupt their friends or acquaintances with "that was censored, what did you say?", and those who have small children or don't wish to enter a guttermouth convention when they visit the Central Plaza can leave it on.

The next solution would be software that uses a sensitive and calibrated heuristics module with specific filters and exceptions.  This method would actively select the troublesome words and phrases, and censor them while leaving the other words and phrases which may share the same parameters, but are placed in an exceptions list because their meaning is different than the WIQ (word in question).  It would work like an antivirus program on your computer.  They use heuristics to actively weed out viruses embedded in your system without touching anything else, like music, photos, or other programs.  It can be used the same way in Home, I'm sure.  It's a more technical route, to be sure, but it would relieve the headache of accidentally censored words while keeping the original naughty list in place.

What say you?  Express your thoughts, ideas, and alterations.

I have sat back and watched how the community will respond but ehh here I go. I have to say nice post but all in all this should have stayed in the suggestion thread. But that is not the problem, The problem is that you cant say "what" with out it turning out **** I personally do not like that and think that should be fixed. Now also gman you stated that you should let users turn the switch on and off. but yet you have to note that parents who do not know what there child could be hearing would be very upset.  think that is also not good for the MOD's as they have to recive reports for foul language and if people just allow it then sooner or later everybody will be cussing because it will ust be ignored but by it being censored lets user's know that the word they said was innapropriate.

Message 26 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
797 posts

Mar 21, 2010

CamronGirl wrote:

I have sat back and watched how the community will respond but ehh here I go. I have to say nice post but all in all this should have stayed in the suggestion thread. But that is not the problem, The problem is that you cant say "what" with out it turning out **** I personally do not like that and think that should be fixed. Now also gman you stated that you should let users turn the switch on and off. but yet you have to note that parents who do not know what there child could be hearing would be very upset.  think that is also not good for the MOD's as they have to recive reports for foul language and if people just allow it then sooner or later everybody will be cussing because it will ust be ignored but by it being censored lets user's know that the word they said was innapropriate.

Hate to toss a stick in the spokes on this one, but if parents aren't taking the responsibility to set their child's gaming system to the correct level, I'd be more worried about that. I think four letter words would be less a concern to say the overwhelming nudity, sex, and extreme graphic violence of god of war 3. Seriously I think if a kid has access to all that, saying an f bomb isn't going to send his life magically spinning into a dark despair where all they can do is smoke meth out of their last working lightbulb and drink themselves into a coma. I'm just saying there is a high demand for it, it harms no one at all, pointless not to give a feature such as this with such a demand. I'd even settle for the whole 18+ thing too. You'll find the older you get the less you can tolerate a prepubesent boy scream in a temper tantrum because you dressed like a girl.

Message 27 of 77 (21 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1307 posts

Mar 21, 2010

x-cult wrote:

CamronGirl wrote:

Hate to toss a stick in the spokes on this one, but if parents aren't taking the responsibility to set their child's gaming system to the correct level, I'd be more worried about that. I think four letter words would be less a concern to say the overwhelming nudity, sex, and extreme graphic violence of god of war 3. Seriously I think if a kid has access to all that, saying an f bomb isn't going to send his life magically spinning into a dark despair where all they can do is smoke meth out of their last working lightbulb and drink themselves into a coma. I'm just saying there is a high demand for it, it harms no one at all, pointless not to give a feature such as this with such a demand. I'd even settle for the whole 18+ thing too. You'll find the older you get the less you can tolerate a prepubesent boy scream in a temper tantrum because you dressed like a girl.

Well cult it depends on the personality of the person. We all speak our minds as you are doing now. and by the responce that you gave me shows that you wouldnt care if your son/daughter heard these things. but I do care, and what you need to understand is that we all spaek our minds.

Message 28 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
638 posts

Mar 21, 2010

Jim777 wrote:

gman_harmon wrote:

"I want freedoms, but on my terms?"  Authoritarian much?

Please note that nowhere did I say the filter option was to be MANDATED.  This would be a user option to have a toggle switch, to set the filter on and off as they see fit.

Make sure to understand and comply with TOS and EULA, in there it states you cant even legally edit images taking in Home, just an example of how much of a catch all it can be.

As far as the option to turn the filter on and off, i do agree that giving users more options is always a good thing. However this would mean profanity would be allowed in Home, and its bad enough as i is when its not allowed.

Simply ask yourself do you really need to swear that bad? Does it really add anything to your conversation? And if the answer is yes then by all means go to a private space and add spaces or underscores to beat the filter or cuss over your mic. User control is a good thing, allowing swearing to not be moderated might no be so good. 

From what I can tell, nobody really wants to swear.  We're just tired of seeing phrases like "Who're you to say I was hard on him?" become "****** you to say I was ******** him?"  It's ridiculous, and it forces us to repeat ourselves in order to be understood properly. 

-------------------------------------------------
No, no, NO!!! It's THINK first, THEN speak!
Message 29 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Mar 21, 2010

Honestly I think Its a bug, this problem never occured or was brought up before until just recently, possibly came with the 1.35 udpate, not sure. I started a post about this as well for people to post what words are getting censored but I agree with the OP, kudos

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 30 of 77 (21 Views)
0 Likes