Mar 21 2010
By: gman_harmon Wastelander 761 posts

"Wait, why was THAT censored?!" Word filter tweaks

76 replies 458 views Edited Mar 21, 2010

I posted this in the March Misc. Suggestion Thread, but I will repeat it here so it won't be buried under more suggestions and forgotten.

Here's my original post in that thread:

"My suggestion for March is a major overhaul of the profanity/censorship filter in Home.  This can be accomplished by a simple On/Off toggle in the Settings/Safe Mode menu, a revised and refreshed list of 'hot' words to be censored with the current system, or the implementation of a real-time heuristic module within Home to keep bad words invisible while preserving the other words and phrases that happen to share certain strigs of letters that trip the censors, yet whose meanings are perfectly innocuous.

Odds are the good majority of users who are reading this are at an age where one can discern the differences between good and bad words, and are fed up with having simple phrases mangled by an elementary and cut-rate censor which has no "gray area" to discern the innocuous from the obscene."

Now, we can all safely say that the word filter is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was in the very first days of Open Beta, when even the canned response "Hello" was massacred.  Still, a few lingering hiccups are there, including but not limited to: isn't it; ain't it; wouldn't it; who?; who're (here used as an abbreviation for "who are"); can all; and these are just a fraction of the innocuous words that get stopped in the filter's net.  Some users often find out that they can't say certain friends' names, or even their own.

My first solution is to simply allow users the option to toggle the filter on and off as they see fit.  I can be fairly certain that a couple of you reading this are saying "Absolutely!"  Well, I'm right there too.  This would be the option with the fewest question-marks for implementation and app stability, and probably the most accepted one in the community.  We can turn on and off the bubble machines, why not the filter?  It's a win-win for everyone: those who couldn't care less about what's being said can turn it off and carry on a conversation and not have to interrupt their friends or acquaintances with "that was censored, what did you say?", and those who have small children or don't wish to enter a guttermouth convention when they visit the Central Plaza can leave it on.

The next solution would be software that uses a sensitive and calibrated heuristics module with specific filters and exceptions.  This method would actively select the troublesome words and phrases, and censor them while leaving the other words and phrases which may share the same parameters, but are placed in an exceptions list because their meaning is different than the WIQ (word in question).  It would work like an antivirus program on your computer.  They use heuristics to actively weed out viruses embedded in your system without touching anything else, like music, photos, or other programs.  It can be used the same way in Home, I'm sure.  It's a more technical route, to be sure, but it would relieve the headache of accidentally censored words while keeping the original naughty list in place.

What say you?  Express your thoughts, ideas, and alterations.

If you want a picture of Home's future, imagine a boot stamping on an avatar's face... forever.
What we have here is failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach.
"I have this thing I do? It's called THINKING." -George Carlin
Message 7 of 77 (458 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Re: "Naughty" Words in Home, or "Wait, what?!"

Mar 21, 2010

Message 1 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2949 posts

Mar 21, 2010

wait .. hold up...you were censored... what did you say?

BEWARE OF THE SPEEDING WHITE SAUSAGE!!!!!
mercia comic here --> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-General/duty-to-the-spirit-mercia-comic/m-p/37428903/thread-id/1089731/highlight/false
Message 2 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3844 posts

Mar 21, 2010

good points, but I just can't get on board with the option of shutting off the filter entirely.

Don't get me wrong, when i am at the bar or poker night or whatever I can swear with the best of them. The language itself doesn't bother me, but there is a time and place for it. The one things the filters do, flawed as they are, is force people tp communicate without using certain words or phrases. At the very least it encourages most of us not to do that and helps to limit the use.

Now I know that it's pretty common to see strings of stars in home, but could you imagine how it would be if the cursing was completely unfiltered? Every other word would be starred out from a lot of people. That just would not be a comfortable environment for Home.

Message 3 of 77 (458 Views)
Wastelander
761 posts

Mar 21, 2010

tdarb wrote:

good points, but I just can't get on board with the option of shutting off the filter entirely.

Don't get me wrong, when i am at the bar or poker night or whatever I can swear with the best of them. The language itself doesn't bother me, but there is a time and place for it. The one things the filters do, flawed as they are, is force people tp communicate without using certain words or phrases. At the very least it encourages most of us not to do that and helps to limit the use.

Now I know that it's pretty common to see strings of stars in home, but could you imagine how it would be if the cursing was completely unfiltered? Every other word would be starred out from a lot of people. That just would not be a comfortable environment for Home.

I know what you mean, tdarb, I'm not advocating swearing like a sailor just because you can turn the filter off.  I'm just saying it would reduce confusion by allowing the innocent words and phrases to appear, and not throw off a perfectly innocent conversation.

If you want a picture of Home's future, imagine a boot stamping on an avatar's face... forever.
What we have here is failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach.
"I have this thing I do? It's called THINKING." -George Carlin
Message 4 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1307 posts

Mar 21, 2010

lol I heard that what was censored

Message 5 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
552 posts

Mar 21, 2010

I strongly agree! I feel like I'm being treated like a small child when I can't say words that aren't even censored on television... American television, even! (Canadian television is much less censored.) We can't even say the names of human reproductive organs on Home!

Edit: The only things I think should be censored are words that are harmful to certain races, cultures, sexual orientations, nations, whatever have you.

Message 6 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9338 posts

Mar 21, 2010

I would like to have the option of having the text that I read in HOME not censored. If you want a censored version of HOME then you can have that also. I am well over 21, I watch cable TV, curse words do not upset me. I want to see the same unfiltered version of HOME that the MODS can see. I can handle it.

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 8 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
552 posts

Mar 21, 2010

x-cult, I could not resist giving you a kudos.

Message 9 of 77 (458 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1003 posts

Re: "Wait, why was THAT censored?!" Word filter tweaks

Mar 21, 2010

I'd like to see a filter system of:

None: No filtering

Mild: Some filtering (only the major curse words)

Heavy: Filters all swear words

We're big boys and girls. We can handle swearing.

Lev - Officer of LoS

Message 10 of 77 (458 Views)