Treasure Hunter
4395 posts

Re: "Sony says it will support PS3 for at least three more years"

Jun 28, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

"Support for the PlayStation 3 will continue indefinitely and the company has no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."

This was worded to spin hype. Nothing is ever "indefinately" supported in the console industry. Every console has a lifecycle and every console has an eventual end. PS1 and PS2 has proven this. To think PS3 is going to run side-by-side the PS4 for all of eternity or the duration of the PS4's lifecycle....is a little absurd, to me. As soon as sales figures start to drop for the PS3, once PS4 has launched and begins streaming PS3 titles on the cloud...I guarantee you, Sony will look into dropping the PS3. This may be 3-5 years in the future, but it will happen. They just want to make sure the PS4 gets enough time to adopt as many followers as it can, before making the jump. 

Still...the $65 Million dollar question remains: What happens to Home once Sony discontinues support for the PS3? 

The statement may be accurate, if confusing.

They may simply mean that the PS3 will be able to log into the PSN indefinitely, and have access to the PS3 side of the PS Store.  It doesn't mean they will continue to make updates, consoles or new games.  And it doesn't mean that they will be continuing Home indefinitely.

Considering allowing PS3 network, and store access for legacy software requires almost no man hours, and only server storage, which has already been allocated, this statement seems likely.

Just look at the PSP.  It has been effectively dead as a product for two years now, but it still has access to the network and store, for legacy software.  In essence, it is still being supported, and probably always will be in this limited fashion.

Be One With The Game.

Message 11 of 29 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2039 posts

Jun 28, 2013
Yes. However, I was referring to console production...not legacy software. I have no doubt that IF you can still find a PS3, once it's been discontinued, once it's no longer being sold by GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc...once the model becomes a rarity...im sure Sony will continue to support games, online functionality, store access, network access, etc...

The actual console, however...as a piece of hardware being sold and distributed at retail, will eventually be discontinued. Thats the point I was going for.
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 12 of 29 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2175 posts

Jun 28, 2013

You're breaking the 4th wall! lol, I kid! 

Homie From November 26, 2008 - September 13, 2013.

Shady business practices? File a complaint to the BBB.
https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
Message 13 of 29 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1232 posts

Jun 28, 2013

They are talking about (hardware), the Console..nothing to do with Home or any other online features....

In an interview with Weekly Famitsu, Sony Japan prez Hiroshi Kawano and his counterpart at Sony Worldwide, Shuhei Yoshida, addressed the issue of PS3 support after the PS4 release. "It's been seven years since the release of the PS3 and the console continues to sell at a constant pace, plus we have many upcoming titles." Kawano said. "We have no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 29 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
631 posts

Jun 28, 2013
Sony would still support ps3 and ps4 but is confirm that you can play ps3 games on ps4 using the cloud thingy. However, I'm not confirm if you can play on cloud using disk and downloads. Not sure is this confirm. Or is it true
Message 15 of 29 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4541 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 28, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

People are looking for a sign. This is a sign.

http://bgr.com/2012/09/24/playstation-3-support-2015-playstation-4-launch/

Huh?!?!  Sign of what?  Sony also supported PS1 after the PS2 came out, and supported PS2 after the PS3 came out - none of that has anything to do with Home being supported.  It's a service, not a console, and Sony can shut it down any time they want - which is why their silence on the future of Home is so disturbing... And this article doesn't offer anything we didn't already know.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 16 of 29 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4541 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:
It's good to see the Devs coming forth with what little reassurance they can provide.

Idk why people are still looking to the Devs for answers. All those Devs are about as clueless as we are. They can tell us that PS3 will be supported for another 3 years+ which is obvious, anyway...I think we all pretty much knew that, on some level. But they CANT tell us if Home will be on the PS4 at launch and they cant tell us if Home will be on the PS4 once support for the PS3 has been dropped.

They simply just dont know.

Exactly... Which is all the more worrisome.  If Sony wont even tell the devs that are largely the only reason Home is still relevant any more what the future of Home is, then it is unlikely a very good future... That or Sony is proving they have no clue how to run a business as their silence is obviously having a negative effect on their business partners, customers, and this community.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 17 of 29 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2039 posts

Jun 28, 2013
Not much has been confirmed, really.

We have a console design, system specs, a price and a few info on some features. Thats about it, right now.

Sony is slowly dolling out info, one spoonfull at a time. However it's been said that Sony does intend to announce an actual release date for PS4 during GamesCon.

I wouldnt expect to know everything untill one week before launch, knowing Sony. LOL
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 18 of 29 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1232 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:
Not much has been confirmed, really.

We have a console design, system specs, a price and a few info on some features. Thats about it, right now.

Sony is slowly dolling out info, one spoonfull at a time. However it's been said that Sony does intend to announce an actual release date for PS4 during GamesCon.

I wouldnt expect to know everything untill one week before launch, knowing Sony. LOL

Everyone knows what SONY means.

Soon Only Not Yet...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 29 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13194 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 28, 2013

Most of you should watch this.

currently watching it. watch it, you may learn something about Development on PS4 Console. or Ports

Message 20 of 29 (118 Views)