Reply
Highlighted
Dec 21 2008
By: Cyber_Akuma Sackboy 462 posts
Offline

"It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

171 replies 19 views Edited Dec 21, 2008

I hear a lot of people try to quiet anybody who dares to say anything is wrong or bad about home by baically saying the equivelent of "Shut up, its free" or "shut up, its just a beta."

 
I have already talked about the "Its just a beta" argument and most agreed with me. (Basically, Name ONE video game beta that was significantly different than the final release. Games that took longer than a year to come out after the open beta don't count. However, when you take into account pretty much EVERY VIDEOGAME EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEOGAME BETAS the odds are pretty heavily in my favor.)

 

As for arguing that its free:

 

Honestly, this is like if your local major electronics store chain, although they do have some cheap demo stations and water drinking fountains, also has sticky glue all over the floors, turns on the air conditioning in the middle of winter and the heater all the way up in the summer, has loud static going on 24/7 over the PA system, and all the isles are a mess of a maze.

 

And then if you complain, somebody comes up and tells you "stop complaning, they are letting you into the store for free!"

Of COURSE you are allowed to enter Home for free, they are basically trying to use it as a storefront for microtransactions, to nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. Nobody in their right minds would pay to use home.

$5 for a Club... which is basically a second friend list at this point

EVERY item in the mall is pay.

SEASONAL clothing, which is FREE is almost EVERY other online game that has these are pay.... and its a 6-piece suit where you have to buy each piece seperately!

I am not saying everything in home has to be free, but for crying out loud, the basic stuff like friend lists and seasons costumes sure as hell should be.

What next, charging us to access new gamespaces or areas in home? (that are not one of your houses).

And don't forget that Home is FULL of ads to begin with, hell, the sole purpose of the US theater is to be one giant ad banner, at least some other regions have interviews and gaming news playing on their screens.

 

So now what?

Are we going to have "2009 is the year of Home" arguments now? I never saw 2007 or 2008 being the year of Sony...

 

Before you reply, this is NOT a topic complaning about the prices of items in Home. No, I do NOT expect everything to be free, but the fact that EVERY item is pay (especially season stuff which ARE FREE in every other online game or social networking app I have used, pay or free to play).

 

The MAIN POINT of my post is that claiming "its free!"or "its beta!" does not magically annull every complaint people have about home, especially with how long it took to make, how much money was spent, how much we were promised, and how much it was hyped up. People DO have valid complaints, and just about every damn gaming site and magazine in the US and UK seems to feel the same.

 

P.S. Replies that are basically insults and nothing more than "shut up, it IS free" will not be entertained. And no, you are not funny, original, or cool for purposely posting such a reply just to spite me.

 

(Fun Fact: 99% of topics on the internet with "official" in the topic title are never official in any legally binding way)

"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner
Message 1 of 172 (19 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/31/2007
Offline
3158 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008
Message 2 of 172 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 11/21/2006
Offline
10930 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008
it's a free beta, man. chill out.
Message 3 of 172 (19 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/28/2007
Offline
257 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008

I totally agree with you Cyber

I just got the whole santa suit yesterday but damn, in other online games I see that people are getting santas suits for free and I'm like 

Message 4 of 172 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 09/09/2008
Offline
75 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008

Cyber_Akuma wrote:

I hear a lot of people try to quiet anybody who dares to say anything is wrong or bad about home by baically saying the equivelent of "Shut up, its free" or "shut up, its just a beta."


I have already talked about the "Its just a beta" argument and most agreed with me. (Basically, Name ONE video game beta that was significantly different than the final release. Games that took longer than a year to come out after the open beta don't count. However, when you take into account pretty much EVERY VIDEOGAME EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEOGAME BETAS the odds are pretty heavily in my favor.)

 

If you think that u are right with this point why do u need to add this exception?  So if Home takes until this time next year to be labeled offical and not a beta then what?  I'm not trying to bash or flame, but to me if u have to add an exception to make stats skew in favor of your view it weakens not strengthens your arguement.  just my 2 cents

Message Edited by Smots19 on 12-21-2008 11:57 AM
Message Edited by Smots19 on 12-21-2008 11:57 AM
Message 5 of 172 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/28/2000
Offline
462 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008

Smots19 wrote:

Cyber_Akuma wrote:

I hear a lot of people try to quiet anybody who dares to say anything is wrong or bad about home by baically saying the equivelent of "Shut up, its free" or "shut up, its just a beta."


I have already talked about the "Its just a beta" argument and most agreed with me. (Basically, Name ONE video game beta that was significantly different than the final release. Games that took longer than a year to come out after the open beta don't count. However, when you take into account pretty much EVERY VIDEOGAME EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEOGAME BETAS the odds are pretty heavily in my favor.)

 

If you think that u are right with this point why do u need to add this exception?  So if Home takes until this time next year to be labeled offical and not a beta then what?  I'm not trying to bash or flame, but to me if u have to add an exception to make stats skew in your favor of your view it it weakens not strengthens your arguement.  just my 2 cents

Message Edited by Smots19 on 12-21-2008 11:57 AM

 

Because a beta typically means that the product is finished and just needs a few things and bugs fixed and tweaked here and there.

 

Its supposed to be in ALPHA if its unifinished from a features/areas/characters standpoint and still needs things added to it.

 

If you leave something in Beta for years, of course its going to change.

 

But how is this any different than say... Counter Strike?

 

It left beta in 1.0, but the current version of Counter Strike is very very VERY different from 1.0, but it wasn't stuck in Beta all this time.

 

If you just keep your product in beta for years while you keep changing it, well, at that point "Beta" is jut a label, it dosen't really mean Beta anymore. Its a cheap excuse to try to disguise something weak as "Beta" so they can try to use this as a magic word to annul anything wrong with a product.

 

 

"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner
Message 6 of 172 (19 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/29/2007
Offline
263 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008
I agree with you, that people need to stop with the it's free and the it's a beta arguments. Hopefully things will change soon. I'm sure if enough people whine about it and complain that something will be done on Sony's part.
Message 7 of 172 (19 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/30/2007
Offline
5009 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008
Kudos to OP.
Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 8 of 172 (19 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/30/2007
Offline
5009 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008

ReflectionistBaz wrote:
I agree with you, that people need to stop with the it's free and the it's a beta arguments. Hopefully things will change soon. I'm sure if enough people whine about it and complain that something will be done on Sony's part.

I would agree with you, but then again they haven't exactly been forthcoming and honest about if they're ever going to implement Picture Frames again, so I don't know what to tell you.

Visit my CG Art Gallery at: http://www.johnnyernest.com/projects.php
Message 9 of 172 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/07/2008
Offline
17 posts
 

Re: "It's free!" and "It's Beta!" arguments officially dead!

Dec 21, 2008
Compeltely agree, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this was overhyped and never delivered.
Message 10 of 172 (19 Views)
0 Likes