Ghost of Sparta
11567 posts

Re: mvp discussion

Jun 12, 2014

Accidental-Donut wrote:
You certainly do not need a HCV or a MVP to explain where things are , or how to get things done (sorry to burst any bubbles) , i'm sure any upstanding home citizen would be glad to help out where possible

That's what makes the program totally useless. The fact is, most of the MVP/Guides lack the necessary knowledge of Home that would even make them useful in the first place.

Not only do they lack a presense in Home, but also here on the public forum. It's just as well that they hide in their there special forum, because most aren't helping out people on here anyway. When was the last time one made any useful thread or guide?

If it weren't for the regular users on here that are willing to help without being glorified, there wouldn't be any help at all. The only one I know that's dedicated to helping people out on here is bestscreenname, because of his effort that allows me to update the AMP Reward thread.

Message 11 of 74 (720 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5946 posts

Jun 12, 2014

Maybe it's just me but aren't things on Home kind of self explanatory.

Though it's nice to recieve a friendly helping hand now and then isn't part of the fun exploring Home and finding things out for yourself.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 12 of 74 (692 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Jun 12, 2014

Stevenb wrote:

i know the mvp's replaced the hcv program but i haven't seen any mvp's around home helping the new people or even us veterans of home out with thing's . i remember going into home just a few year's ago and running into a hcv and watching them explain where thing's are or how to get thing's done . so what are your thought's ?

I see some of  them alot. and a few non-official helpers keeping their hand in. I ask on here when I don't know. If one is having trouble on home the best thing to do is put them on ignore and walk away anyway, and if you can't handle it, stay out of the trouble spots.

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 13 of 74 (672 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4422 posts

Jun 12, 2014

My time on Home is pretty much helping people out when I read some bad info on the chat box or giving a newcomer acces to my club and personal spaces for rewards, I've been doing that years before being MVP. There's events in the works by the Home guides that should be here soon too. Smiley Happy

From past experience the HCV was more active but there are members who are also gone that did many regular events on their own with regular support from other HCV's. 

I haven't been asked to do anything official as of yet but I'm sure I will be. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 74 (665 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2014

hi op and all some people seem to think that just because you dont see mods they dont do there job or just because you dont see mvp/guide. the truth is that we do all sort of stuff in home and on the fourms to help out. even before i become a mvp i helped out in the fourms/playstion home  alot and so have others. No offense at  all im happy some dont need us to help you all out  but the facts remain not everyone in home/playstion  knows everything on that service and on playstion and there always be somebody that wants to gain some knowage about home/playstion  and we be there to help the best we can eather through psn message system/ fourms message system or ps home or playstion. I be the first to amet i still learning on home everyday i amet i dont know everything about playstion/ps home  and i always willing  to learn and adopt to new things like most of us. But to say that most are in this program to show off/inactive  in my opion is so wrong in my opion. it is simply not true at all. we do many thing including event plaining which takes tearm work and alot of time to plan in avance and follow through with them and all sort of other things.

sincery

tech

Message 15 of 74 (642 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jun 12, 2014

MVP/Guides, Just do your thing.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 16 of 74 (626 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5699 posts

Jun 12, 2014

Hey im always up to give tours and guide people around HOME spaces not my fault not everyone owns LBP2 or LBPVitaSmiley LOL

images.jpg

Message 17 of 74 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4689 posts

Jun 12, 2014

Accidental-Donut wrote:
You certainly do not need a HCV or a MVP to explain where things are , or how to get things done (sorry to burst any bubbles) , i'm sure any upstanding home citizen would be glad to help out where possible

And Guides don't always have their jackets on as it's not required.  So there is often more presence than what is perceived.

This seems to be a double edged sword.  There is criticism that one shouldn't be a MVP because they don't play games and only use Home.  Then there is criticism that we aren't visible enough, because at times we wish to play other games.  So what is it?

Personally, I've found watching from the sidelines to be a bit more effective and discretely PMing when necessary.  The jacket (and most definitely beacon) often attract negative energy.  I still wear it at times, but I may choose to help those around me without the label.  Afterall, the program is more largely involved than just the Home section.  MVPs don't "hide" in the private forum all day.  There are actual tasks at hand and a purpose.

Message 18 of 74 (583 Views)
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2014

Stevenb wrote:

i know the mvp's replaced the hcv program but i haven't seen any mvp's around home helping the new people or even us veterans of home out with thing's . i remember going into home just a few year's ago and running into a hcv and watching them explain where thing's are or how to get thing's done . so what are your thought's ?

A distinction needs to be made here:

HCV

Home Community Volunteers were enthusiasts who used their knowledge and expertise to give back to the community. The HCVs were hand picked by Home moderators. They underwent extensive training and were required to attend weekly meetings. HCVs could be frequently seen "on duty" assisting users in public spaces, and they were expected to provide tours of Home spaces whenever asked.

MVP

The idea of the "MVP" is based around a PSN user who received her title for making thousands of 1-2 word posts (this would result in a ban on most forums). When Sony began downsizing the staff who maintained its digital communities (including Home), Paul Sullivan/Tempest_Fire saw an excellent opportunity to pad his résumé: by doling out titles and colors, he could trick ordinary PSN users into doing free work. Thus, the MVP program was born.

The only requirement to become an MVP was to fill out a form on Sony's website. As can be seen from their frequent lack of diplomacy and questionable social skills, many MVPs were selected for being friends with HCVs or Sony moderators. To paraphrase Groucho, the smart, mature crowd saw through Paul's scheme and laughed at the notion of applying. Those best suited for the job knew better than to work for free. What remained were a motley band of cronies and toadies, eager to laud their newfound title over the hoi polloi.

So unless you know an MVP to be a former HCV, they are next to useless and should be ignored.

Message 19 of 74 (517 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jun 13, 2014

Actually Johnny_Bender_

The MVP  program had been created a year before it's initial debut. A lot of things had to be signed off on by Sony corp before it could go public. You were spot on about the HCV program though.  Personally, I left just after the MVP program got under way publically as I was asked to help with the transition.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 20 of 74 (510 Views)