Survivor
2639 posts

Re: home for about 5 min and then gone

Apr 25, 2007

chawknz wrote:
I'm willing to bet signups will be available for multiple days, not hours.

Same. I'm also willing to guess it won't be first come first serve, rather a sellection based on anwsers of the application.
Message 11 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Apr 25, 2007

Eararaldor wrote:

Its free stop complaining

Yeah, but the PS3 sure as hell wasn't free.
And by that rationale, dog feces is free, too.
That doesn't give it instant merit.
Message 12 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
422 posts

Apr 25, 2007

EVILSTUART wrote:
no what im saying is that i think it will be fun for 5 min and then it will loose is fun, if there is any to be had. i will try it out before i really start knocking it, but it just doesnt have any appeal to me

Yeah, I hear what you're saying.
True, it's essentially just a community portal. I think it is more than just a shiny package though. It provides an alternate way to interact with fellow players, meet people and hook up for some online multi-player action.
Functionally, it's just another communication channel. But it does offer a different level of visuals, which i think could make online socializing richer and a little less anonymous. What i mean by that is, I don't think 2 months from now I'll remember that grimreeeper19007443 dude i chatted with the other day, whereas i would maybe have an easier time remembering him if I could associate him in my mind with something like: "oh, yeah, that crazy dude with pink dreadlocks and a lair T-shirt that kept on breakdancing and/or doing the robot!!". That is, provided that not everyone in home is a crazy dude with pink dreadlocks, a lair shirt, and keeps on breakdancing. Which, from the extent of customization options Sony alluded at, should not be an issue.

In addition, it will hopefully provide publishers and developers with a new and functional medium to interact with players, meaning it'd bring us closer to the guys creating these video game thingies we so enjoy spending so much time with.

I haven't touched half the features announced for home, but from the above only, I feel it has great potential; and not just as a one-time, 5 minute giggle deal, but as a new community service, offering a new level of interaction with fellow players (that right, I wrote "new" twice. That's how new it is!! Smiley Happy). Not new for the sake of novelty, but with the purpose of improving, and hopefully make online social interactions a little more personal (not as in flame war kind of personal, but in a "wait, I know that guy! How you doin'?" kind of way). I think, for a lot of people, trying to socialize online is still something rather bland, impersonal, and, more often than not, very marginally successful.

Anyways, sorry, didn't mean to make it that long. Couldn't help but share why I'm so excited about it. 

Message 13 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
422 posts

Apr 25, 2007

PickleJ wrote:

Eararaldor wrote:

Its free stop complaining

Yeah, but the PS3 sure as hell wasn't free.
And by that rationale, dog feces is free, too.
That doesn't give it instant merit.

True, but I don't hear people complaining about dog poo all that often. Unless they step on one, that is. Then yeah.
But then again, I doubt anyone will literaly step on an online community service. And if they happened to, it won't smell like poo. So Eararaldor point stands. 
Message 14 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3613 posts

Apr 25, 2007
not once did i complain about home beign stupid or worhtless, i was mearly stating that home is not going to be for me and i was wondering how many people are not that interested in it. i said i would try it before knocking it cause its stupid to knock something before trying. i just dont really see the appeal for home. the only cool thing about this is sharing music with someone else so you can get a feel for the underground music scene. o ya and dling videos leagally from your favorite bit torrent and sharring them with your friends lol!!!!!
Message 15 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1557 posts

Apr 25, 2007

EVILSTUART wrote:
no what im saying is that i think it will be fun for 5 min and then it will loose is fun, if there is any to be had. i will try it out before i really start knocking it, but it just doesnt have any appeal to me

Message Edited by EVILSTUART on 04-25-2007 10:08 AM

Since it doesn't appeal to you means it won't to anyone else. A bit egocentric, are we?
Message 16 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
422 posts

Apr 25, 2007

EVILSTUART wrote:
not once did i complain about home beign stupid or worhtless, i was mearly stating that home is not going to be for me and i was wondering how many people are not that interested in it. i said i would try it before knocking it cause its stupid to knock something before trying. i just dont really see the appeal for home. the only cool thing about this is sharing music with someone else so you can get a feel for the underground music scene. o ya and dling videos leagally from your favorite bit torrent and sharring them with your friends lol!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking your posts as random bashing or anything. You were simply pointing out that home might not appeal to you so much, and I only meant to explain why I'm looking forward to it.
Message 17 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Apr 25, 2007
it looks fun to me, but not everyone will like everything.

guitoorbenchi's Gamercard
Message 18 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Rux
Treasure Hunter
5135 posts

Apr 25, 2007

lancek wrote:
hes trying to say that it will be a hit for 5 mins than no one will care about it when it comes out

If that is what he is truly trying to say, then sadly... he is a retard

chawknz wrote:

Let's see... 700,000 PSN users all ready for the Home Beta Trial registrations.
15,000 spots open. The site will accomadate massive lag, and be filled up within an hour

Message 19 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3613 posts

Apr 25, 2007

Shnozzle wrote:

lancek wrote:
hes trying to say that it will be a hit for 5 mins than no one will care about it when it comes out

If that is what he is truly trying to say, then sadly... he is a retard

chawknz wrote:

Let's see... 700,000 PSN users all ready for the Home Beta Trial registrations.
15,000 spots open. The site will accomadate massive lag, and be filled up within an hour

well thast alot of people now isnt it?? how long do you think this will last before home looses its luster?? im not saying that home is a terrible thing or needs to stopped, what i am saying is within gaming how is this the "next big thing" or even related to gaming. now i know it is a virtual world and some people maybe even most people would get into this, but not for more than a few minutes to an hour. now if it is big then by all means you can quote me as wrong and i may be the next big thing in gaming, but there are people out there, like me, that do not see a point to this. now i will try it and give it a shot, but from the trailer and everything i have read it just looks to a "fluff" to the ps3 and nothing more.
Message 20 of 21 (9 Views)
0 Likes