Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: couldn't sleep

Dec 19, 2012

People kill people..... Not video games. And now theyre trying to come for our guns next....But.....

A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.

• A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.

• A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.

• A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.

• A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.

• A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.

• A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.

• At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon. 2500 times last year alone legal gun owners
stopped violent crime when confronted with it long before any police assistance ...

Message 11 of 25 (244 Views)
Survivor
1350 posts

Dec 19, 2012

KarateChampChad wrote:

December 21st? I think we have more important things to worry about... Smiley Frustrated

lmao!!!!!!!

I'm going to bed, chad.

Thank you for making me laugh hon!

Your_Empress x7 flirt leader worldwide final and forever photo Your_Empress x7 forever final_zpssgnzebgr.jpg
Message 12 of 25 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Dec 19, 2012

G'night, thine Empress

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Message 13 of 25 (232 Views)
Sackboy
364 posts

Dec 19, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

You may not have stated it directly, but you were forwarding a message which asked people to stop playing violent video games for a day. The only purpose that will serve is to make ignorant people feel better about themselves.

The dead are gone. There will be more incidents like this. Violence is a staple of our species.

USA:                                                                                               FRANCE:

315 000 000 habitants                                                               65 350 000 habitants

300 000 000 GUNS                                                                    3 000 000 GUNS

11 000 dead by gun (criminal) per years                                    124 dead by gun (criminal) per years

i don't think AMERICANS or FRENCHS or all others NATIONS are differents species,

but i think all mens (specie) are COWARDS,give them the average to kill without any risk and

you ll increase murders and crimes!

americans aren't more violent than other peoples,they just have a legislation which allow violence...

and like in any wars, victims are innocents, only mentality will change things, think about that, fatality doesn't exist!

Message 14 of 25 (222 Views)
Survivor
2432 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Your_Empress wrote:

stardeth wrote:

StardustChampion wrote:

No.

Video games do not cause violence.

Also, there is a strong correlation between concealed carry laws and lower crime rates.

People are going to die, including kids. That's life. Humans have been killing each other for hundreds of thousands of years, and they will continue to do so centuries after we're all dead.

If you want a worthy cause, boycott news media using advertising revenue to profit from tragedy.

And don't forget all the children Americans have slaughtered while invading and occupying foreign nations.

While usually I abhor this poster, I have to agree with the occasional nugget of truth he spews forth, although in THIS particular instance a little tact would've been better served rather than his normal bluntness. What happened was indeed a great tragedy, and as a parent, I can totally imagine a fraction of the grief that those who lost are suffering, but it's just plain irrational to blame video games for what occurred, similar to blaming Rock 'N' Roll for the horrors people have committed in the past (i.e., Ozzy causing kids to commit suicide, etc...). My heart goes out to the families and friends who grieve from this traumatic event, and hope they find the will to go on living afterward... and I hope every TV show and news program that views this as "gold" find a special pocket of Karmic Hell to burn in.

stardeth, Stardust is also on my friends list on PSN.

I have the ability to maintain a friendship even while arguing or not having the same viewpoints in everything.  I learned this very well through marriage, the wiser people learn it the first time around.

However, I also agree with you.

But if you (as in anyone reading), read my post carefully.

My intent here is for gamers to show a gesture of compassion, empathy, but not to support any direct political agenda or whatever the original forwarding person had in mind!

Honestly idk what the original sender of that message had in mind.

However, I do know this, if we stop playing for 24 hours, it shows that we care, that we have hearts as gamers.

Read my posts: Note: I said it doesn't have to be a shooter game, it's what you normally play that you take a break from for awhile.

And No, it isn't just going to "make ignorant people feel better about themselves", if enough people take a break from video games in general on December 21st, the entire Network will feel it.

It's one day, it won't kill you.  And it isn't about politics. It's about having a heart.

"Taking a break", as you put it, doesn't show that you "have a heart". If you have a heart, these horrific events that have transpired have been on your mind since the onset, and the only thing stopping playing video games for 24 hours will do is force you to dwell in the thoughts of misery that have been invoked by the constant exposure of the gruesome details of CT's tragedy. Video games provide a slight, miniscule distraction from thoughts that could lead to depression, pain, even taking one's own life. That necessary distraction doesn't make us heartless, it keeps us sane, it means we're human after all.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 25 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1350 posts

Dec 20, 2012

stardeth wrote:

Your_Empress wrote:

stardeth wrote:

StardustChampion wrote:

No.

Video games do not cause violence.

Also, there is a strong correlation between concealed carry laws and lower crime rates.

People are going to die, including kids. That's life. Humans have been killing each other for hundreds of thousands of years, and they will continue to do so centuries after we're all dead.

If you want a worthy cause, boycott news media using advertising revenue to profit from tragedy.

And don't forget all the children Americans have slaughtered while invading and occupying foreign nations.

While usually I abhor this poster, I have to agree with the occasional nugget of truth he spews forth, although in THIS particular instance a little tact would've been better served rather than his normal bluntness. What happened was indeed a great tragedy, and as a parent, I can totally imagine a fraction of the grief that those who lost are suffering, but it's just plain irrational to blame video games for what occurred, similar to blaming Rock 'N' Roll for the horrors people have committed in the past (i.e., Ozzy causing kids to commit suicide, etc...). My heart goes out to the families and friends who grieve from this traumatic event, and hope they find the will to go on living afterward... and I hope every TV show and news program that views this as "gold" find a special pocket of Karmic Hell to burn in.

stardeth, Stardust is also on my friends list on PSN.

I have the ability to maintain a friendship even while arguing or not having the same viewpoints in everything.  I learned this very well through marriage, the wiser people learn it the first time around.

However, I also agree with you.

But if you (as in anyone reading), read my post carefully.

My intent here is for gamers to show a gesture of compassion, empathy, but not to support any direct political agenda or whatever the original forwarding person had in mind!

Honestly idk what the original sender of that message had in mind.

However, I do know this, if we stop playing for 24 hours, it shows that we care, that we have hearts as gamers.

Read my posts: Note: I said it doesn't have to be a shooter game, it's what you normally play that you take a break from for awhile.

And No, it isn't just going to "make ignorant people feel better about themselves", if enough people take a break from video games in general on December 21st, the entire Network will feel it.

It's one day, it won't kill you.  And it isn't about politics. It's about having a heart.

"Taking a break", as you put it, doesn't show that you "have a heart". If you have a heart, these horrific events that have transpired have been on your mind since the onset, and the only thing stopping playing video games for 24 hours will do is force you to dwell in the thoughts of misery that have been invoked by the constant exposure of the gruesome details of CT's tragedy. Video games provide a slight, miniscule distraction from thoughts that could lead to depression, pain, even taking one's own life. That necessary distraction doesn't make us heartless, it keeps us sane, it means we're human after all.

stardeth, "Taking a break" is referring to ***online*** play!

There are still many games that you can play *offline* on this Friday, December 21st, maybe add some trophies to your favorite game?

Also, spending time with my family does n will take my mind off of these tragedies. Which is what I will be doing.

It does show that you have a heart because you are taking part in an event that shows you acknowledge the tragedy and feel sorry for the pain of so many families who lost such young loved ones so suddenly in such a terrible fashion.

Taking a break for 24 hours from online gaming does not take away your ability to play offline, and if you don't care (or if you don't know about the event) you can play online, simple as that.

This doesn't have to be complicated, unless you feel you must make it so.

Your_Empress x7 flirt leader worldwide final and forever photo Your_Empress x7 forever final_zpssgnzebgr.jpg
Message 16 of 25 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Dec 21st?  U do know that's the end of the World right?

If so i don't think that is goona matter at that point...

But if we get past that day... The NEWS needs to quit putting things like that on TV it just make more people want to do it just to be on the news...

When is NEWS gonna learn they are the Problem!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 17 of 25 (153 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Thanks for posting this. I know this post is destined to be taken over by those who want to troll the conversation towards a debate about gun laws in America, but I appreciate the OPs thoughtful intentions.

Taking the time to reflect on this terrible tragedy isn't a bad thing. Hey, it could help some of you break out of your iron-clad rhetoric.

Message 18 of 25 (144 Views)
Survivor
1350 posts

Dec 21st Play *offline*

Dec 20, 2012

Instead of the original message that was sent to me, my proposal is that for those who have the ability to play *offline* or maybe just spend time with family, they can do that on December 21st, this Friday.

Play *offline* on Friday the 21st of December?  Why, you might ask?

Well, if you have read much of this thread, you will see why, but I'm also going to relay a few messages here between myself and StarDustChampion (hopefully this clears it up for anyone wondering what the point is):

My message to *all* my friends:

my suggestion now is to take a break from *all* online video games for one day, dec 21st, not just 'shooters'. that way there is no discrimination against 'shooters', n when the game network online is quiet for 1 day, the world will notice n so will those families (in Newtown CT) whose children were killed. it is a symbolic gesture of compassion n acknowledgement for the children who died. it is *not* political, not for me. sincerely Missy

Reply from StarDustChampion (I hope you don't mind me quoting you here, hon): "I think you're overestimating the amount of people who will participate."

Well he said more than that, but it didn't copy everything. & I'm sure he is right, probably not as many people will go *offline* this Friday as many may hope, but even if the gaming network overall shows a significant drop of online play, then that's some show of support from many people who felt it's a worthwhile thing to be a part of.

My Response: they will hear about it sooner or later through facebook, tweets etc. the point of it is that it's about what people feel, not what they think. n yes u may be right maybe not enough will participate for it to b noticeable, but i will anyway. that's what the gesture is for acknowledgement of the tragedy, beyond actually donating to them for funeral costs, psychiatric treatment etc. verses 'idc so go ***** urself' which is what those families may feel everybody thinks [beyond those who have donated time or money towards their recovery.] n everybody doesn't feel that. i don't.

I edited my reply slightly here, correcting some spelling, grammar, a bad word, and adding that part within the brackets to clarify what I meant.

The whole point of this is that we as gamers can show somehow as a group overall that we do care, without taking much of anything out of our lives, yet it still will show those families that many, many, many people do care. Gaming is huge in America, and it will be known, even if the numbers online only drop slightly.

For me it is a showing of compassion, n it is that simple for me.

Message 19 of 25 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1350 posts

End of the World?

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

DCS-Tekken wrote:

Dec 21st?  U do know that's the end of the World right?

If so i don't think that is goona matter at that point...

But if we get past that day... The NEWS needs to quit putting things like that on TV it just make more people want to do it just to be on the news...

When is NEWS gonna learn they are the Problem!

Lol! somebody else making me laugh.

K, well do you all know what is actually happening on Friday December 21st, beyond playing *offline*?

It is called the "Galactic alignment" or something like that, it is where all of the planets in our solar system will be lined up in a straight line from the Sun all the way out to Uranus (please don't get gross with jokes about that), since Pluto is no longer considered a planet, it's not included? Idk, but I think it is included.

How much the gravity effects from this alignment may effect our Earth's tides or whatnot is likely not much, but who knows? There could be a tipping point. But regardless of all that, I'm quite sure we will all be fine and able to play *online* on the 22nd of December, k? lol

Anybody who has a link about this, or some scientific background on it is very welcome to post about it here, as if seems it is a side topic for a reason to not sleep!

Message 20 of 25 (137 Views)
0 Likes