Sackboy
404 posts

Re: another virtual world or not ?

Sep 1, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
Yes, I actually do. That's the plan, at any rate. At this point, it's pretty wide open-I'm married to a contactor who says he'd build what I like, even a parking lot for ppl to visit. Smiley Happy

Yeah, the kids thing is important. I was always of the mind of exposing them to everything with lots and lots of explanations and diologue. And I wanted to teach them that it's productive for everyone to look to the future while appreciating the past. One of my kids and I even do Home together-Crazy-88 can attest! We've played Minibots with him. Smiley Very Happy

I would not mind hearing more about how this project progresses.  Looking at the kudo count for your initial post, I do not think I am the only one.  Good luck on this worthy endeavor! 

Message 21 of 40 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Sep 1, 2013

If I am in a virtual world it has to have a joystick. I will not sit in front of a computer with a mouse.  Home is unmatched by anything.  I tried second life and it doesnt even compare.  If Home ever ends it is because there is a conspiracy against having fun.  I am always amazed that it even exists and as I have often found out in life whenever I start having a good time there is always somebody just waiting to mess it up. By the way I bought Sims 3 and played it about 3 times.  I found it annoying.

Message 22 of 40 (348 Views)
Uncharted Territory
900 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013
Thanks steamheart! I'll look into a possible way to distribute a Home photo book too. I can see that many have fond memories. The photos were the only way I could think of to archive it.

I view Home and electronic games in general as works of art that must be preserved. I have been concerned that these pieces of art will be lost, in many cases. It's the same thing that happened to silent films. They were shot on flammable nitrate and not preserved. I am an archivist that specializes in preserving things that are considered pop culture, and are not understood yet to be works of art. We have a number of other collections, not applicable to this forum-which I won't get into. I'm sure I'm already testing the mods off-topic boundaries here. Smiley Happy
Message 23 of 40 (340 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

Smiley Happy Me well i think ill return to PC gaming probably get a STEAM BOX  if PS4 will loose the social program it was home for facebook kind of features then i go with the Steam community , they are less insquisitive and more friendlier and social not many creepers either and well they have great deals as well lol 

Message 24 of 40 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
404 posts

Sep 1, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

If I am in a virtual world it has to have a joystick. I will not sit in front of a computer with a mouse.  Home is unmatched by anything.  I tried second life and it doesnt even compare.  If Home ever ends it is because there is a conspiracy against having fun.  I am always amazed that it even exists and as I have often found out in life whenever I start having a good time there is always somebody just waiting to mess it up. By the way I bought Sims 3 and played it about 3 times.  I found it annoying.

Having had some measure of experience with it, I absolutely agree with you on Second Life.  That program had fairly lofty goals at its inception, then quickly degenerated into a cesspool endorsing some truly disgusting content.  The user base as it currently stands consists of individuals that would make the very worst elements of HOME look like choir boys by comparison.  When HOME eventually closes down, I may consider joining another virtual community.  Whichever program that may be, HOME will be the metric by which I will make my choice.   
Message 25 of 40 (309 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
995 posts

Sep 1, 2013
*sees thread, laughs. returns to mmo*
Message 26 of 40 (255 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Sep 1, 2013

esco887 wrote:

We all know u.s. playstation home is the best virtual world on the planet.

Not even close. Less than 1% of Home users have ever tried a similar program. Only a tiny fraction of that 1% could name another besides Second Life. Home is crippled in comparison to the average virtual world:

• Small, disjointed spaces with a 64 avatar cap (average ~30 due to instance balancing)
  • Limited to 11 friends in a private room
  • Users cannot purchase or develop land
  • Users cannot design or exchange avatar items
  • Users cannot stream personal music or video
  • Flying is uncommon and usually requires premium items/spaces
  • Existing content is often removed from the servers without notice
  • Divided into 4 global regions without content parity and only 1-2 internationally shared spaces each year
  • Poor quality VOIP codec with push to talk. No public voice chat (removed)
  • Core updates are sporadic and tend to be focused on aesthetics

...and has several major defects which alienate users of similar services:

• Home was essentially a giant advertisement for Sony when it began
  • While the interface has improved, it remains clunky and confusing to new users
  • Administrators turn a blind eye to content thieves using exploits to resell digital goods
  • Staff seldom interact with users and do not discuss details regarding Home's direction/future
  • The community is filled with idiots and rabid Sony fans who tend to be incapable of acknowledging Home's flaws
  • 12 non-interchangeable forms of premium digital currency and 9 types of access tickets (excluding PSN wallet)

Aside from the reward system and professionally designed minigames, Playstation Home offers little to stand out amongst its peers. Were it not for the massive console audience who will play anything that's advertised as free, Home would have died years ago. It's slowly fading away as an aborted experiment which never found a niche.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 27 of 40 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Sep 1, 2013

StardustChampion wrote:

esco887 wrote:

We all know u.s. playstation home is the best virtual world on the planet.

Not even close. Less than 1% of Home users have ever tried a similar program. Only a tiny fraction of that 1% could name another besides Second Life. Home is crippled in comparison to the average virtual world:

What "virtual world/similar program" do you feel outshines Home?

Message 28 of 40 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Sep 1, 2013

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

GTA5

From what they showed, GTA V will have it's own separate online world.

It looks great.

But really, I would just play games since that's what the console is for right?

Message 29 of 40 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Sep 1, 2013

myalana wrote:

What "virtual world/similar program" do you feel outshines Home?

Click me

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 30 of 40 (198 Views)