Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: Xi2 Is Pay-To-Play only....

Dec 15, 2012

In your effort to quote me you left out the meat of the quote.

The entire "entitlement" thing isn't even applicable here. Since nothing was stated that the developers "owe" anyone.
With all respect all I see is someone voicing discontent. Simple as that.

YOU are the one constantly flinging that "entitlement" label on people that voice any sort of dissent that rivals your sentiment on items or content.

As far as being in defense of the developers thats entirely up to you but youre kind of quick with that entitlement word.

I chose to opt out because of the price tag, knowing full well that later on they would ask for more money. I may not have voiced it in these forums but according to your labeling...that makes those who chose not to fork out money as feeling entitled to having the game return for free.

Its simply not that serious

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

Not sure how the OP did much of anything, other than mildly express dissapointment that a game that once brought enjoyment to him is now a pay to play model.

Arrgg! Well nDreams lost an old Xi player then... Since now it's a Pay-To-Play only game....

The OP set the theme of the thread

Pay-to-Play = count me out

Talk about drawing a line in the sand.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a declaration of war.

Message 151 of 179 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Dec 15, 2012
I wouldn't say that anyone who simply chooses not to buy the game has a sense of entitlement. And I doubt that I constantly fling the term around as you imply. If one does not feel that content is worth the price, then they certainly should not buy it. Obviously.

I would use it though to describe those who feel aggrieved with Sony or nDreams for creating pay-to-play content.

castle3
Message 152 of 179 (364 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Dec 16, 2012
On the bright side, it may lead to an xi Elite area where only people who have paid will have access.
Nice way to weed out the riff raff. ;-)
Message 153 of 179 (333 Views)
Sackboy
362 posts

Dec 16, 2012

X-MsLiZa-X wrote: 

And you called me a shill for defending a business' right to charge people for their product. Do you know of many businesses that operate successfully under the giveaway philosophy?

2 things... First off even with someone providing you with the definition of what the word 'shill' means you still don't get the meaning of the word or how to use it.. That alone shows your lack of thinking or intelligence, not to mention that you contradict yourself every time you post a reply..

The second is Yes I can easily name a business that operates successfully, and have become a billion dollar company, on the giveaway philosophy.. It's called Facebook!!! They give you access to their service and let you post a profile and communicate all for free.. That's cause the make there money not from advertising like many believe but they make their money from selling your personal information which has netted them billions of dollars and that's just one example of a company that makes money hand over fist for nothing.. So to answer your question I can name a company or businesses that do so..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 154 of 179 (318 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1804 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Few things... 

After looking at Videos on You Tube of the Actual inside of Coninuum for Xi... 

I was willing to pay the $7.99 for just the Apartment alone, I mean it looks cool... 

But now that the Price went up a $1, I really think I might reconsider... 

I was only interested in the Apartment, & I only have $10 on my Account total... 

to Raise the Price, up a whole nother $1, just raised a big red flag for me... 

The Continuum isn't really Xi anymore, it's just a Mini-Game now... 

I miss the old Xi, Brain Exorcises that made it cool... 

Now it's a Mini-Game, one thats kinda boring, & lame... 

------------

On top of that, it was said that once you pay to get in, there won't be anything else Continuum related to be paid for... 

But there is a Shop to buy stuff... 

That actually isn't true, because there are all kinds of stuff for Coninuum that you pay for... 

Associates are one of them... !@_@! 

Requirement or not, I didn't expect any of the Associates to cost anything... 

------------

Xi was a memorable moment in HOME for me, now ir's a dissapointment for me... 

It should of been left as a Tombstone, & now that people wanted it, this is what we got... 

A Paid To Play Product, & i'mma stick by that Quote... !@_@!

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 155 of 179 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Dec 16, 2012

U2crazy4me wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote: 

And you called me a shill for defending a business' right to charge people for their product. Do you know of many businesses that operate successfully under the giveaway philosophy?

The second is Yes I can easily name a business that operates successfully, and have become a billion dollar company, on the giveaway philosophy.. It's called Facebook!!! They give you access to their service and let you post a profile and communicate all for free.. That's cause the make there money not from advertising like many believe but they make their money from selling your personal information which has netted them billions of dollars and that's just one example of a company that makes money hand over fist for nothing.. So to answer your question I can name a company or businesses that do so..

Facebook is actually a pretty good example but maybe not entirely in the way that you intended.

Sure, Facebook allows its users to have free access to most of the platform's functions, just like Sony's Network and PS Home. You neglected to mention, however, that Facebook also generates a fairly healthy revenue stream by allowing 3rd party developers to sell their products through the platform, also just like PS Home. The free access to Facebook itself does not give users unlimited access to all of the exclusive content.

Do Facebook users cry foul when they have to pay for their little farm animals or whatever? I don't use Facebook so I can't really offer specifics.

Thanks for helping me make my point though. Cheers Smiley LOL

As far as I can recall, the only time I contradicted myself was a thousand posts back when I said I was done with this thread.

This time I really am. I hope everyone spends their 9 bucks well.

castle3
Message 156 of 179 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1804 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

Actually, your wrong about Face Book... 

What you said is True, up to a Specific point... 

Not every Game you play requires you to Spend money on their Items, to get those Items... 

SuperHero City is 1... 

You can get anything you want in the Game without even 1 Penny Spent... 

And most of which you pay for gives you Unlimited Access to 'em... 

The Money you spend only improves your Game Play Experience, 

not actually keeping you above everyone else... 

But recently, SuperHero City has left Face Book... You must visit website to get Full Access, otherwise Face Book 

limits your access... Which really isn't limited, because the stuff that it limits you from, isn't really needed in the first place...

I own a Face Book Page, but I don't use it, I only have it to Display my Trophies off PSN... 

Other then that, I don't need it... 

They should really allow people to Publish our Trophies as a Feed to any Website, not just a Specific Site... No?

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 157 of 179 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2391 posts

Dec 16, 2012

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

U2crazy4me wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote: 

Facebook is actually a pretty good example but maybe not entirely in the way that you intended.

Sure, Facebook allows its users to have free access to most of the platform's functions, just like Sony's Network and PS Home. You neglected to mention, however, that Facebook also generates a fairly healthy revenue stream by allowing 3rd party developers to sell their products through the platform, also just like PS Home. The free access to Facebook itself does not give users unlimited access to all of the exclusive content.

Do Facebook users cry foul when they have to pay for their little farm animals or whatever? I don't use Facebook so I can't really offer specifics.

Thanks for helping me make my point though. Cheers Smiley LOL

As far as I can recall, the only time I contradicted myself was a thousand posts back when I said I was done with this thread.

This time I really am. I hope everyone spends their 9 bucks well.

MySpace fits that.  No paid games but ONLY runs on advertising.

Yes, I did create that game on the Vita you probably never heard of.
Message 158 of 179 (264 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13187 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Few things... 

I was willing to pay the $7.99 for just the Apartment alone, I mean it looks cool... 

But now that the Price went up a $1, I really think I might reconsider... 

I was only interested in the Apartment, & I only have $10 on my Account total... 

to Raise the Price, up a whole nother $1, just raised a big red flag for me... 

The Continuum isn't really Xi anymore, it's just a Mini-Game now... 

I miss the old Xi, Brain Exorcises that made it cool... 

Now it's a Mini-Game, one thats kinda boring, & lame... 

------------

Xi was a memorable moment in HOME for me, now ir's a dissapointment for me... 

It should of been left as a Tombstone, & now that people wanted it, this is what we got... 

A Paid To Play Product, & i'mma stick by that Quote... !@_@!

First Up. The first XI IS ALSO a mini-game.

and read Joey's response which answered to your dissapointment

source: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Xi2-Is-Pay-To-Play-only/m-p/39056137/highlig...

nDreams_Joey wrote:

Hey,

As mentioned we did announce the pricing before. With the original Xi being free (as it was fully funded by Sony and used to promote Home) we knew there would be some veterans who wouldn't neccesary like that fact. That's the reason we put it out there up front, so people knew and also the reasons why (Sony aren't funding this, nDreams are and to make something of this size costs, it's our biggest project to date).

Completley appreciate that when you think Xi you think "free". Unfortunatley Xi: Continuum simply wouldn't exist if the intention was to make it available for free. Yes it will differ from the original Xi but we still think it's fun, has those elements that allows the community to come together and is something different for Home. 

Last point, the $7.99 was always a TBC figure, as mentioned on the xi2.com website (which has now been updated) but the reason for the extra dollar was the exchange rate. Type €6.99 to Dollars into xe.com and you will see that it's about $9.09. So that's the reason. 

Away from the corporate stuff, personally, I think Xi: Continuum will be great, it has the ability to pull the community together, discuss stories and theories about whats going to happen and I think that's something that's been missing for a while. Wouldn't it be amazing if it was free to everyone? Absoloutley, as a user that would of course be my preferred choice but unfortunatley everything that is made for Home or any other gaming platform costs money and the companies making that have to make that money back somehow. 

Hope that explains nDreams POV and also gives you an insight into my own personal point of view as well.

Any questions you know where I am

Joey

2nd off. Noting to say.

BTW Didn't you notices £5.49/€6.99 is actual cheap than US Price Smiley Tongue

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 159 of 179 (208 Views)
Fender Bender
3178 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:
The thread was actually started by someone who didn't want to pay anything for Xi. He never even mentioned the price.

There's a difference.

Yes, there is a difference, but not much of a bigger one.

1 cent or 9 dollars -- He didn't feel it was worth paying for. Sorry that the difference bothered you enough to point it out.

I don't see much difference. He wanted Xi to be free and it isn't.  And yes it's understandable that those who find it worth while would chime in and may not have an issue with the price. That doesn't make them a shill for the game. 

I'm curious to post in this thread must one be of the mind set that they aren't happy with paying or is it Ok for those who are willing to pay to post here as well? Personally I haven't paid for it yet and don't know if I will. On the other hand I'm happy to listen to BOTH SIDES of the issue. 

That is what threads are usually about. People discuss the issue. 

I see the $8.99 as an installment to play Chapter One. I don't think I want to do that knowing full well that if this is successful there will be a Chapter 2 which will also cost money. Now for those who enjoy it fine. There are users spending lots on Home Tycoon and other games and that is just fine too. 

Very Well Said Miss Joanna. 

I told myself in 08 I would never spend a Penny out of pocket on this program. Then stepped into the Program by accident. Spent some Money, and am looking back at why I did. Xi was the reason I stuck around after I realized what the program was. Yet not because of the Content that I could purchase, it was the gaming and people I had met. Sadly the gaming has been not as great as I had thought it would be back in 07. 

Even though I will not pay for Xi because I know where it came from, and I know the crappy mentality behind the business of HOME development at times, that does not mean I wish the company to fail or my friends not to play if that is what they wish to do. I do wish to Help my friends as I always do, and I wish for improvement in the program we are all here talking about. I walked away a long time ago, and I often wonder if it would have been better for me if I never stumbled upon it again or not. Yet I did and I have friends here that I enjoy gaming with, and conversing with, sharing ideas and such like these... With no intention of forcing or asking them to think like I do, that would be very boring. Yet I have noticed that all the folks on my list, although, they might disagree with me, they listen, and if they agree or not, they talk with me about it. We respect each other. I do not always see respect in HOME. However I do think a nice Handful of folks that are respectful is better then no Respectful people to game with or share ideas with. 

Back when I left what is now know as Xi and Home, when it was in development in 07, there was a Major Respect problem... I had many issues with personal interactions... Sexual harassment from what could be some of the people we buy HOME product from, Intellectual property issues, and  Moral business ethics disagreements, to name a few of the Respect issues I faced. 

Sadly I feel like some of those issues are still present, and I would like to see them changed if possible. I don't know how or if Possible, yet If I plan to stay around, it would be Cowardice to not say something to hopefully change the things I think are wrong. Even if My peers do not agree with what I am saying. 

I feel that we as the community are being Dis-respected with the Content and Prices that are being placed before us along with a few other issues I see with the program. Xi 2 is a Prime example of one of the instances I think we have been dis-respected. Not because I think we are entitled to free Games, yet I know how Xi started, and this is not what I thought of while we as a group were starting it. This is one of the reasons I left in the development of HOME, even when I was promised my own store and the teaching of the graphic coding and what not for the program. 

I do not work for the company, or any company's associated with HOME. I am not trying to promote anything here, and my only motives here are to see things get better, (for the whole of the community and not just myself) , to talk about Xi 2 being Pay to play, and be truthful in my reasoning behind the discussion I present for the topic of Xi 2 being pay to play only. 

I do understand that the people coding the content need to get paid for the hours they put into the coding and such. I remember a few heated conversations about the topic, 

Is the Price of Xi fair? I don't think so... Yet some of my friends paid the price, Some of them seem to be enjoying it, some are not. I know for a fact that when Xi started it was for the people by the people... Made for a friend... A true beginning to an awesome evolving idea. Somewhere along the line someone wanted to make profit off that because they thought or knew it was possible. They Sold out. Xi is a sold out idea... Im not paying for an idea I helped to create. I can not and will not tell anyone they can't or shouldn't buy it. I do have the right to say I do not think that Ndreams should be charging for the Game its self based how Xi was started.  I would love to be playing a game like Xi with my friends right now... Like many others who can not play with their friends, or Friends that they might never meet cause Xi 2 is pay to play.

There are many ways to make money in a venue like HOME... They could make a living with out being Dis-respectful. a very good one at that with how much traffic flow it has.  

Photobucket
Message 160 of 179 (193 Views)