Fender Bender
3539 posts

Re: Xi: Continuum is Revealed – Believe it ... it's true!

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

ITCOB1 wrote:

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

I wonder about how many items will have to be purchased in order to complete the goals this time.  Hopefully, it's just an overly cynical speculation on my part.

Home is a different place these days compared to a few years ago.

Cynical??? I think not ! My bet is that you are right !!

This is not the last 10 years, money is tight worldwide, and game development is not free.

You are not completely right. Game development might not always be free, in most cases it is not, and Xi 2 probably falls under that, as well as some of the stuff in Xi, yet I can say that from personal experience, not all game makers (notice I did not use Dev) get paid, some do it for the love of the game... with that said... I agree, if Xi 2 turns out like the collect o rama, I will do my best to participate, yet I most likely will not pay for the opportunity to display team work and detective skills. (not that I am perfect in either department) 

For some reason its not stated anywhere, yet Xi was not meant to be a profit endeavor, at least not when it started. 

Another thing that is not stated in many places is that from what I understand Home/Hub was originally supposed to be a Gamers Safe haven so to speak... We get free mini games and previews in exchange Devs and Company's get to advertise to their Clientele, and that would be how the HOME/Hub Devs make a living, off the corporations that inevitably would get our money anyway, so everyone would make out, yet HOME took a dif. Route, and decided to make money off both the Corporate and third party company's, plus the gamers that inhabit the digital world... a bit to much I think, yet I am just an innocent bystander with no real say in how I wish it could have been, and for that I hold reservation on Spending any more money on Xi components.

I am not a Limited Edition or Digital Copy, I am an only Edition, not to be Copied, same should be true for everyone... Be yourself, yet be a part of Something that Makes Awesome Sauce!!!

photo NewVLR-1.jpg
Message 61 of 99 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Nov 27, 2012

While it wouldn't surprise me if nDreams used something you need to pay for like Blueprint to solve something, or even try to sell us something to make some game you need to beat easier, I seriously doubt they will force anyone to buy anything to participate.  It'll just make it easier.

For example, let's say there's something you need Blueprint to solve.  Well, yeah, you could buy it, or you could socialize until you find someone who has it and get invited.

I just don't think nDreams is stupid enough to think it's a good idea to charge people to play this.  I would estimate that this will cause about 750,000 people to log into home almost every day just to see what's new in XI.  This is good business for everyone in Home, especially nDreams who will win every one of those people over, and therefore raise their sales from all these new, loyal customers.

Message 62 of 99 (310 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Wow, XI is coming back!  You know how many people on this BBS called me nuts when I said there would be an XI2?  A ton where are thoes people now?  Who know's.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 63 of 99 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4395 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Xi2 trailer huh.

Mmmm.

Looks like the Matrix.

Sounds like Epic Meal Time.

Still not enough to bring me back to Home.

Be One With The Game.

Message 64 of 99 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2760 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Hey folks, Xi2 is LIVE. I found a major intro clue. Go to the AlphaZone 4 site and look under Latest News on the main page. Read "Exclusive Email Leak: Who are Axiom?" I am unable to post the link in mobile.

Posted Image

Message 65 of 99 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Nov 27, 2012
I hope stapler is going to be there it was torture watching him fall apart at Aurora
Message 66 of 99 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Have not read this entire thread, or all of the related threads, but have a few remarks to make nonetheless.

I don't know if Xi: Continuum will draw in large numbers of new users. I don't think it really matters. People often ask "What is the purpose of Home?" When outsiders take a look and try to judge the service based merely upon the virtual items that are made available for sale, of course they're going to come away confused.

I'm probably a voice crying in the wilderness at this point, but I still think of Home primarily as a social service first, and a gaming platform second. Whether the games are linked to console games or strictly Home games is also irrelevant to me, because I view the games primarily as a way to get people interacting with one another.

In the absence of an overarching purpose, of course things will devolve into anarchy, with people attempting to create their own "fun" through trolling and other antisocial behavior. I think Home needs Xi: Continuum simply for itself, to get people engaged with one antother, and not just within their own regions, but hopefully across regions. The Activity Board was always a poor excuse for this type of engagement.

Thank you, nDreams. Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 99 (241 Views)
Sackboy
406 posts

Nov 27, 2012
At 30 seconds in that video there is someone with a TV head and what looks like headphones hanging off his belt.Some kind of clue?
Message 68 of 99 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Nov 27, 2012

BabyBearsBed wrote:
At 30 seconds in that video there is someone with a TV head and what looks like headphones hanging off his belt.Some kind of clue?

Looks like a more advanced model of Stapler.  What do you think his name is?  I'm guessing "Wallet".

Message 69 of 99 (207 Views)
Sackboy
406 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Robot wink lool i could live witht that.You guys who were around for the 1st one had to buy stuff to participate in certain parts of the quest right? so I imagine the same will be true this time around.I hope it's within my budget though.

Message 70 of 99 (202 Views)
0 Likes