Highlighted
Jan 04 2013
By: McJorneil Sackboy 421 posts

Xi Continuum Combat through Emotes?

[ Edited ]
7 replies 324 views Edited Jan 4, 2013

So after playing the combat missions in Xi Continuum, I've found myself just using the same agents with the best stats every time, with little reason to use the others or buy the extras. Which got me thinking about what if we could have our own avatars battle against enemy agents, through the use of our emotes and locomotions?

Like for example: you are exploring the Continuum and have a Final Fantasy-esque random encounter and enter battle mode. There wouldn't have to be a screen transition, but maybe enemies just appear on the screen. To defeat them you would scroll through your Combat emotes using R1, and have a selection of different fighting stances (for different types of opponents) and different attack animations to choose from. If you wanted to use other types of combat skills or weapons you could purchase them, but the best part is you could use the various emotes anywhere in Home.

Granted, I'm sure most would not like the idea of random encounters or RPG-style fighting being a major part of their Xi experience. Smiley Very Happy Heck, I probably wouldn't either. So what if this idea was used for another space or type of game some time in the future? Would you be interested or couldn't care less?

Message 1 of 8 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2036 posts

Re: Xi Continuum Combat through Emotes?

Jan 4, 2013
Well, it's definitly an interesting notion, I would'nt want all of home like that though, perhaps just one space would'nt be bad though. Walking into the mall and randomly being attacked by a Ninja sounds kind of like a hassle. Cat Happy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 8 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2432 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Sounds like somebody got a little stuck on SFXT after being able to fight as his (?) own avatar... Smiley Wink Yeah, that'd be cool, but then they'd use the locos as a reason to jack the price to $12, after raising it from what they'd previously quoted... *waits for Joey to appear*

Photobucket
Message 3 of 8 (204 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jan 4, 2013
Hmmm... a rock/paper/scissors type thing..?
Message 4 of 8 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 6, 2013

stardeth wrote:

Sounds like somebody got a little stuck on SFXT after being able to fight as his (?) own avatar... Smiley Wink Yeah, that'd be cool, but then they'd use the locos as a reason to jack the price to $12, after raising it from what they'd previously quoted... *waits for Joey to appear*

I don't know about that. In their survey one of the questions was whether or not people would be willing to spend less money on the game if it meant missing out on extras like the apartment and companion. So it sounds to me that they're thinking to make different entrance fees depending on what content people would like to have, which is probably a good idea. I'm actually surprised by the amount of people I've seen in Xi Continuum, despite all the flak nDreams got about making it pay to play.

LeeStone71 wrote:
Hmmm... a rock/paper/scissors type thing..?

I'm not sure where you got the idea of janken from my OP, but basically imagine some kind of new RPG-type game space where you fight enemies. It could be monsters, robots, people, whatever. What you would be fighting them with is your emotes, through the R1 menu. Let's say you press R1, and see a sub-set of emotes labeled "Combat". You open it and have different emotes like...

Defensive Stance

Sword Stance

Dual Wield Stance

Slash

Kick

Punch

Combo 1

Combo 2

etc.

Depending on which stance you use, you'll take a certain amount of damage from enemies and it will determine how much damage your attacks inflict on them. Different enemies would require different attacks and stances used against them. Now let's say they sell different armor and weapons that grant you bonuses in defense, attack, and magic. Perhaps they give you access to other combat emotes. Maybe you could even bring out a companion and use it like a summoning creature to aid you. Overall, I think this kind of idea would save developers the trouble of having to design a more complex battle system like what Mercia uses, possibly making things such as lag and hit detection less of an issue (or so I think anyway). I'm just wondering if anyone here would like a game using this idea. A game where all the action is powered by your avatar's emotes. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2036 posts

Jan 5, 2013
I quite like the Idea actually, of course operating everything with the R1 menu may prove difficult at times, so maybe if R1 was just for actions like your Combat stance, or to defend, or put your weapons away, while by activating these commands otherwise puts a new menu on your screen of moves to choose from in that catagory. Anyways, if you're really that interested in your idea, perhaps post it in the January suggestions thread here - http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/January-2013-Suggestions/m-p/39206105#U39206...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 8 (157 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jan 5, 2013
Ah... that is a good idea. I would do as LegoFire said cause even if nDreams doesn't pick up the idea, at least in that thread the other developers may see it and consider something along those lines.
Message 7 of 8 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

Jan 6, 2013

Thanks for the responses guys! I've always been under the impression the suggestion threads are only intended for virtual items though, which wouldn't really fit my idea, unless I'm wrong? At any rate I'm hoping to continue this discussion, so does anyone else have anything they would like to add? Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8 (89 Views)
0 Likes