Sackboy
442 posts

Re: Why pay to win?

Jul 14, 2013
I don't know Smiley Sad .. Usually when we get a game going, some people with paid items hop in and start destroying everyone then everyone just leaves.
Message 11 of 23 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1317 posts

Jul 14, 2013

The Paid content gives people such an advantage at peakvox ninja that I refuse to even play multiplayer. I've been playing the single player mode this entire time now for free, and yes, it's taking me forever, but to me, it's alot less frustrating than dealing with everything that comes with playing a game that offers an advantage to people that pay. I dont' have a problem with the fact they offer paid content , I just choose to avoid mp as The trashtalk in that room is pretty unbearable sometimes, just not worth the hassle imo.

Message 12 of 23 (156 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Jul 14, 2013

POWER TO THE PLAYERS!

+ mods + memes
Message 13 of 23 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
442 posts

Jul 14, 2013

hellokittyxo wrote:

The Paid content gives people such an advantage at peakvox ninja that I refuse to even play multiplayer. I've been playing the single player mode this entire time now for free, and yes, it's taking me forever, but to me, it's alot less frustrating than dealing with everything that comes with playing a game that offers an advantage to people that pay. I dont' have a problem with the fact they offer paid content , I just choose to avoid mp as The trashtalk in that room is pretty unbearable sometimes, just not worth the hassle imo.

You spam ninja training? That thing barely gives any exp D:

Message 14 of 23 (144 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Jul 15, 2013

The best kinds of freemium games are those where paying customers have no real advantage against those that do not pay. Cosmetic items and some exp time saving boosters should be the only items up for sale, especially games with multiplayer in mind. Games like No Man's Land could of been a huge success had VeeMee went with this model instead of selling it as a pay to win experience. Games like these survive on have a large community of players, and the free players are a big part of this. No one wants to play a game with no one to play againt. Now the game is a literal ghost town. 

These Home pay to win games aren't created to be fun, they're created to get you to spend as much money as you can to cover the development costs and are quickly forgotten. 

Best advice is to not even bother with them. Don't waste you money on any game that's Home related because they will not last and for the most part they aren't well made. Buy a real game for PS3. 

ジャーマン ・ウォリア
Message 15 of 23 (132 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3859 posts

Jul 15, 2013

;^) The freemium model works well enough in an environment like Home. The free play mode is the best possible demo of the game one could want. It even allows play against other online players, and has no time limits. It also allows one to see what the paid upgrades do when others use them.

I don't hesitate to buy such upgrades when they double as Home items. Especially when the items are cool. One such is Hellfire Games' Mayor's Rug, which is supposed to enhance your revenue in Home Tycoon. I don't play that one anymore, but I got the rug anyway because it's just that cool on its own.

:^/ I agree that paid enhancements need to strike a balance. If they give too much advantage, other players shy away. Too little advantage, and there isn't enough incentive to buy them. Getting the balance just right takes lots of experience on the developers' part, of course.

Message 16 of 23 (123 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Jul 15, 2013
Hello GuiltyBlaze (:
I would reccomend to you my first Home game (and still one of the best imo) the original Sodium which you can play in the Sodium Hub for free up until level 5, and up to level 50 once/if you purchase the Salt Shooter Pilot Jacket (or outfit cant remember which exactly, but itll say). I really enjoyed my time spent working up the levels and completing challenges and objectives for Vickie (Ai robot in Sodium Hub) and still enjoy playing from time to time. If you want a good return on a game purchase, thats one thats actually worth it Smiley Happy
Support Forums
Message 17 of 23 (121 Views)
Sackboy
442 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

;^) The freemium model works well enough in an environment like Home. The free play mode is the best possible demo of the game one could want. It even allows play against other online players, and has no time limits. It also allows one to see what the paid upgrades do when others use them.

I don't hesitate to buy such upgrades when they double as Home items. Especially when the items are cool. One such is Hellfire Games' Mayor's Rug, which is supposed to enhance your revenue in Home Tycoon. I don't play that one anymore, but I got the rug anyway because it's just that cool on its own.

:^/ I agree that paid enhancements need to strike a balance. If they give too much advantage, other players shy away. Too little advantage, and there isn't enough incentive to buy them. Getting the balance just right takes lots of experience on the developers' part, of course.

PSN Home has some brilliant mini-games that shouldn't go to waste. I don't understand peoples fascination with the Pay-to-Win model, its just doomed to fail in a market where free-to-play continues to grow and reign supreme. Some of these mini-games take quite the time invesment too, might as well call them Mini-MMO's.

The Pay-to-Win model has got to go though, skill shouldn't be bought nor should it be obtained through blatant game advantages like overpowered weapons, etc. Keep it out of Player Vs Player games. I agree with things like exp boosters and gold boosters are OK, another good example are things like Operation Defend Edo. It's just against monsters, not actual people so buying things to get better at that is fine by me.

Skill needs to be earned by practice, not money. If they tossed the Pay-to-win model away, these mini-games would get alot more activity and perhaps even a fanbase.  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3859 posts

Jul 15, 2013
:^/ True, but a fan base and more activity equates to a greater bandwidth expense. That needs to be offset with sales. The loss leader model is good for getting people in the door, but the company can't stay with that forever.

If nobody buys anything, the developer is losing his shirt, even if he only loses it slowly. If he's going to be around for the long run, the business model needs to eventually get to the part where the customer is spending more than the developer is.
Message 19 of 23 (103 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13193 posts

Jul 15, 2013

No Man's Land, I'm looking at you!

Message 20 of 23 (93 Views)
0 Likes