Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 02/15/2003
Online
28566 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Lil_The_Pill wrote:

Sony's overly long delay in correcting the situation, is in my opinion despicable, and criminal. 


Personally, I don't think that was the problem regarding SCEA's response. The issue is most likely that they couldn't keep up with the "questionable" posts in order to remove them. Such activities were simply popping up much faster than they could be removed.

 

It had been officially stated before that Moderators do look at the Activity Board, and that it also took time to remove bad messages. Very likely the only thing that could be done, for now, was to simply make it so that no one can post an activity (other than official ones).

 

A perfect solution will take time to develop. Until then, we will either have to depend on "word of mouth" or this forum in order to announce activities, clubs and user events.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 11 of 30 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/23/2010
Offline
4501 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

Lil_The_Pill wrote:

Sony's overly long delay in correcting the situation, is in my opinion despicable, and criminal. 


Personally, I don't think that was the problem regarding SCEA's response. The issue is most likely that they couldn't keep up with the "questionable" posts in order to remove them. Such activities were simply popping up much faster than they could be removed.

 

It had been officially stated before that Moderators do look at the Activity Board, and that it also took time to remove bad messages. Very likely the only thing that could be done, for now, was to simply make it so that no one can post an activity (other than official ones).

 

A perfect solution will take time to develop. Until then, we will either have to depend on "word of mouth" or this forum in order to announce activities, clubs and user events.


 

Alright. I think we all can agree (most of us) that I'm pretty sure when CM's and Devs sat down and talked about integrating a community board into NA Home, there would be problems that were posted on it, you know; the really weird ones. Thousands of users had accessed to that. Moderation should of known of what they were getting themselves into. It only takes a few minutes to log into Home, and then go to the Hub. You, me, and all normal users here don't know how they moderate that board though, but I'm sure it doesn't take an hour to go delete some nasty posts. SCE Moderators know their job. They know Sony's ToS, so it shouldn't take any LONG time to remove a post on that board. That's just nonsense.

 

YB

Message 12 of 30 (211 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 02/15/2003
Online
28566 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

[ Edited ]
Nov 30, 2012

Actually, Moderation did post on this forum about it. But like many, the posted information was either overlooked or forgotten - and definitely not shared.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 13 of 30 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

Actually, Moderation did post on this forum about it. But like many, the posted information was either overlooked or forgotten - and definitely not shared.


Yes here's one such post that GlassWalls made. (taken from this thread:
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Does-anyone-know-how-to-report-on-Activity-B... )

 

"Though I'm not a Moderator anymore, moderators scan the Activity Board's Event section multiple times a day and remove any innappropriate content. If you feel like you want to do more, send a PM here on the forums to HomeForumMods. They'll gladly look into it."

 

Unfortunately, we never saw that objectionable content was actually removed, and in fact, the problem seemed to worsen.

Message 14 of 30 (186 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 02/15/2003
Online
28566 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

[ Edited ]
Nov 30, 2012

I saw them removed. But as I mentioned, it was speedily replaced by another objectional post. Again, the Moderators couldn't keep up with the number of such messages being posted. So removal of the ability to to post was decided upon.

 

Maybe one day, after a major overhaul, we will be able to post again. And until then, we have this forum to do so.

 

The bottom line is, it's gone. For many it's a relief. And for others, a loss for (acceptable) social interaction. And for the few bad, there's the rest of the internet.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 15 of 30 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

I saw them removed. But as I mentioned, it was speedily replaced by another objectional post. Again, the Moderators couldn't keep up with the number of such messages being posted. So removal of the ability to to post was decided upon.

 

Maybe one day, after a major overhaul, we will be able to post again. And until then, we have this forum to do so.

 

The bottom line is, it's gone. For many it's a relief. And for others, a loss for (acceptable) social interaction. And for the few bad, there's the rest of the internet.


I personally didn't see them removed, but in all honesty, I didn't keep very close tabs on it. It's always sad to lose a feature and yes you're right...the forums can serve much the same purpose.

Message 16 of 30 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 05/22/2009
Offline
29271 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

I saw them removed. But as I mentioned, it was speedily replaced by another objectionable post. Again, the Moderators couldn't keep up with the number of such messages being posted. So removal of the ability to to post was decided upon.

 


There should have been an approval process for posting to the board. Many websites moderate replies to their sites such as the PSHome Gazette before comments are viewable by the public. Seems to me that would have been the best approach.

 

Hard to say how many messages there were and how much work that would have been. It's certainly better to have the board gone than to continue to have it as an embarrassment for all. 

Message 17 of 30 (166 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

I saw them removed. But as I mentioned, it was speedily replaced by another objectionable post. Again, the Moderators couldn't keep up with the number of such messages being posted. So removal of the ability to to post was decided upon.

 


There should have been an approval process for posting to the board. Many websites moderate replies to their sites such as the PSHome Gazette before comments are viewable by the public. Seems to me that would have been the best approach.

 

Hard to say how many messages there were and how much work that would have been. It's certainly better to have the board gone than to continue to have it as an embarrassment for all. 


Agreed. I hope in the future that such a process could be implemented and that we'll see a return of the activity board. Not everyone knows these forums even exist.

Message 18 of 30 (158 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 02/15/2003
Online
28566 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:
There should have been an approval process for posting to the board. 

My last contribution to this topic...

 

I think we agree that Moderation has to go through hundreds of reports, study them and then discuss and decide the fate of alleged offenders. Now toss in the responsibility to read every announcement prior to publication. 

 

I believe that those behind Home thought that the community would be more responsible when it came to posting announcements of events and clubs. Sadly, if this is true, they were mistaken. The community is not ready for such a service at this time. Now we only have "word of mouth", XMB messages and this forum.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 19 of 30 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: Why are the Events Gone on Activity Board

Nov 30, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:
There should have been an approval process for posting to the board. 

My last contribution to this topic...

 

I think we agree that Moderation has to go through hundreds of reports, study them and then discuss and decide the fate of alleged offenders. Now toss in the responsibility to read every announcement prior to publication. 

 

I believe that those behind Home thought that the community would be more responsible when it came to posting announcements of events and clubs. Sadly, if this is true, they were mistaken. The community is not ready for such a service at this time. Now we only have "word of mouth", XMB messages and this forum.


When we start settling for less, that's exactly what we will receive. Not everyone is as responsible as they should be and that is a fact of life. We don't have free reign here on the forums and to think that the user-base as a whole would self-monitor was a bit short-sighted.

Message 20 of 30 (143 Views)
0 Likes