Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Re: Who is tired of Playstation Home maintenance

Apr 18, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

Maintenance is good. That means repairing and strengthening connection and stability issues, updating security and making sure that everything will run better.

If we don't care for maintenance, we can always play offline games.

Typical "I missed the point entirely" response from Conrad.

Yes maintenance can be good, as it keeps things in good running order.
Excessive maintenance, on the other hand, indicates a systemic design flaw in the development logic of the over all system, or in the process being used to administer it.

Let us ask the question.  Why is it necessary to have a weekly maintenance period?

Many networked services, that have just as much traffic as Home can go much longer before having to be brought down for maintenance.  Especially when the users are paying customers.

Why must the service be brought down, just to update content?  We are not talking about a full application update here, just content purchased.  Why can these content updates not be hot patches?  Other services are able to do it.

Why in all of the many full Home version upgrades has this not been implemented.  After how many years?

Why are this many bugs finding their way into the system, that it requires the entire system to be brought down on a weekly basis, just to deal with them.  Is it because there is not adequate testing being done to content before it is uploaded to the system?  Why is this still the case after this many years?

You know, for something that has been in Beta for about 5 years now, they really haven't made many real system improvements, if the system still requires the same frequency of maintenance periods as it did in it's first initial open beta version release.

I guess they were just too busy refining the business model.  Perhaps that's what the Beta has stood for all this time.

The Beta phase wasn't for working out the technical kinks, and making a better more stable system, that required minimal service interruptions.  It was for working out how to squeeze the most money out of a system that had major design holes, that were never intended to be fixed.

Be One With The Game.

Message 11 of 32 (251 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Whether or not you can live publish to a website, and remember that Home is really just a website, depends on a lot of things, including the server's OS, the box that the server runs on and the publishing environment.

I've worked with systems that publish live seamlessly and systems that require a site to be taken down whenever there's a content refresh. At this point in time, I'd say both are equally common, although we're moving toward a live publishing environment.

Think about WordPress. I can publish live content to a WordPress site all day long, but if I need to update WordPress itself, I'm probably going to have to take the site offline to do it, especially if I'm on a Windows machine that only updates certain registries after a reboot.

It's also, generally speaking, safer to kick everyone off a server before a live content publish. Again, depends on your publishing environment, but if you know a content push is the only thing happening on a server, you know that there's less chance of data corruption or invalid publishing states. For major data migrations, I was taught by a number of very smart people to always take the server offline, just as insurance. It's a rule I still follow today for major migrations.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 12 of 32 (246 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Apr 18, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Whether or not you can live publish to a website, and remember that Home is really just a website, depends on a lot of things, including the server's OS, the box that the server runs on and the publishing environment.

I've worked with systems that publish live seamlessly and systems that require a site to be taken down whenever there's a content refresh. At this point in time, I'd say both are equally common, although we're moving toward a live publishing environment.

Think about WordPress. I can publish live content to a WordPress site all day long, but if I need to update WordPress itself, I'm probably going to have to take the site offline to do it, especially if I'm on a Windows machine that only updates certain registries after a reboot.

It's also, generally speaking, safer to kick everyone off a server before a live content publish. Again, depends on your publishing environment, but if you know a content push is the only thing happening on a server, you know that there's less chance of data corruption or invalid publishing states. For major data migrations, I was taught by a number of very smart people to always take the server offline, just as insurance. It's a rule I still follow today for major migrations.

With all due respect HearItWow, because I do respect you, trust me.  Home is pretty far from just a web site.  It is a complex back end application, relying heavily on data base integration, that is serving web based calls through a web head, but it is about as far from something like word press as it is possible to get.

My company has a SAAS based product that operates very similar to Home, with comparable overall load in some of our customer installations, and it is very far away from web publishing, in the technical sense.

Our system was designed so that all content that is served and managed internally from the service application itself, can be uploaded and edited as hot patches.

This ability is an actual operational feature of the application, and is independent of the OS, as our system is OS agnostic.  This was done to minimize down time for the system, and our customers, and, as such, is seamless to any agents that may be online at the time.

We are a very small company, and we would be overjoyed if we made what Home brings in.

I find it hard to believe that Sony can't accomplish something similar in five years of Beta development for a service that brings in what Home does.  It is more likely that the will to do so, is just not there, nor has it ever been.

Be One With The Game.

Message 13 of 32 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Apr 18, 2013

I'm simplifying, obviously, for those who aren't as well-versed as you and I in how back-end systems work.

None of us know how Home was built or how it's hosted, but there are strong cases to be made for things running the way they do. Could it be fixed? Absolutely, but now you've got to rewrite the core and make sure everything works all over again. That's a huge challenge midstream.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 14 of 32 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

I don't like Home maintenance, but when they are actually DOING something, I know it's necessary.

What I don't like, in fact what I HATE, is that SCEE controls when Home goes down or gets updated. That leads to us having delayed update weeks, or skipped weeks entirely (like the entire new year's week) due to their holidays.

Yes I know that Home was created in SCEE and they do the coding, ect ect, but I think each region should at least be able to individually control when they do a mall content update.

Message 15 of 32 (214 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
940 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Tarazuma wrote:

I don't like Home maintenance, but when they are actually DOING something, I know it's necessary.

What I don't like, in fact what I HATE, is that SCEE controls when Home goes down or gets updated. That leads to us having delayed update weeks, or skipped weeks entirely (like the entire new year's week) due to their holidays.

Yes I know that Home was created in SCEE and they do the coding, ect ect, but I think each region should at least be able to individually control when they do a mall content update.

So you want 3 individual maintenance? Sorry but I'll stick with 1. 

Message 16 of 32 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

I don't see why the entirety of Home in all regions needs to go down or be delayed that week  just to update the store, when mall items have been added/removed live in the past. For core updates, I agree they should only do 1 maintenance.

Message 17 of 32 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

I'm simplifying, obviously, for those who aren't as well-versed as you and I in how back-end systems work.

None of us know how Home was built or how it's hosted, but there are strong cases to be made for things running the way they do. Could it be fixed? Absolutely, but now you've got to rewrite the core and make sure everything works all over again. That's a huge challenge midstream.

Ah yes, but Home is not in midstream, is it?

Home is still in Beta.  Exactly where fixing and refining such things should be taking place.

Be One With The Game.

Message 18 of 32 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1023 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Tarazuma wrote:

I don't see why the entirety of Home in all regions needs to go down or be delayed that week  just to update the store, when mall items have been added/removed live in the past. For core updates, I agree they should only do 1 maintenance.

That's because the data for the store items are already uploaded to the server in previous maintenance and just needs to link it to the store.

Message 19 of 32 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

stevedann19 wrote:

I decided to move my question here..Im tired of it. Its almost everyday or everyweek they have some sort of maintenance. I say Once a month they can use maintenance updates. Comon i paid for my items here. I say enough of maintenance work!  

hi op think it as this way without maintenance things wouldnt get fix on home like items spaces and so much more. I know it doesnt seem like it does anything but it does. Not everything can be fix in one day. Do you remeber what happend two years ago in 2011 the biggest attack on psn server history. Psn was down for 5 week and every day i would try to get on it but it was down from april 27 to may 20th. This is why we need maintenance on psn and on home so stuff like this never happends again or it happend very slim again. I personal dont mind maintence. I can always play a game that i havnt finished yet offline or go out side and injoy life beause life to short. The maintenance is to make sure the server is safe and udate software on there servers so stuff like what happend in 2011 never or slim happend again. I hope this helps tc and have fun.

sincery

tech

Message 20 of 32 (150 Views)
0 Likes