Jun 25 2011
By: Gildabrid First Son 15 posts

When is enough - ENOUGH Sony?

137 replies 132 views Edited Jun 25, 2011

As a concerned parent (and I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of us out there) of a 16 year old daughter who's seen EVERYTHING from death threats, to being called the B-word (Female Dog) to even being called the N-Word on Sony's Playsation Home, I'm to the point where I've had enough! Where exactly does Sony draw the line? I hear so much about the Moderators but I see more of the same USERS doing the same crap on this Playstation Home, more than I see the moderators. I even went the extra mile to monitor my daughter's sessions, to be sure that she couldn't be falsley accused by their little rules and regs. We have a system where we ONLY report if it gets TRULY bad, like when the man (who Im sure was at least two times her age) threatened to find her and kill her: ALL BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T WANT TO TALK SEX WITH HIM? My daughter chose to do the right thing, and ended up unable to sleep for ONE WHOLE WEEK because she was afraid of what SONY is allowing!  Sony, what are you doing with these users? Are they THAT much more important just because they spend money on your PSHome game? I've seen words used on your playstation Home, that I HAVE NEVER, and WILL NEVER ALLOW in my home! Just today, we had a young man REPEATEDLY calling my daughter a female dog. Yet it took SO LONG to get through the blocking process that this young man managed to get off 5 MORE MESSAGES. Sony, what are you doing to protect my daughter better? And why is it she feels she'll be punished if she files TOO MANY REPORTS? What type of circus are you running here Sony.

CONCERNED PARENT WHO DEMANDS ANSWERS FROM SOMEWHERE OR SOMEONE

Message 8 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29457 posts

Re: When is enough - ENOUGH Sony?

Jun 25, 2011

Gildabrid wrote:

We have a system where we ONLY report if it gets TRULY bad...

No. Submit a report each time something bad happens. You do not have to wait until it gets "truly bad". Additionally, if the matter crosses over to messages in the XMB Messenger, simply back out of the message, scroll down and then click on Grief Reporting. Finally, you can also send a Private Message to HomeForumMods. Within the Private Message, you can be as detailed as needed to convey your concern and anger. If the issue continues, write again. The Moderators have been very helpful with my concerns. And teach your daughter to use the tools that Sony has provided her to report these people on her own.

And then of course, simply tell your daughter not to use Home again until she feels that she can deal with, or ignore, the troublemakers in Home.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 1 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 25, 2011

Sorry to hear about what your daughter is going through. This is probably not the best place to voice your concerns. This is primarily a community support forum, users helping other users. There is little (if any) official Sony support here. There is a Contact Us link near the bottom of this page that will allow you to get in touch with Sony.

By its very nature, a service like Home is pretty much impossible to moderate to any significant degree. Users are free to create multiple/new PSN accounts which makes moderation difficult. Add to that the shear volume of users and I think you can see where it amounts to a lot of work and time. Believe it or not, they do moderate, and repeat offenders can and have had their PS3 systems hardware banned from PSN (preventing even new accounts from access). But often the banned systems are sold or traded in and replaced, and the offenders return.

Of your daughter has truly received death threats you should file a police report. Death threats, not to mention solicitation of a minor are against the law. File a report with all the info you have and have the police contact Sony to follow up.

But really, if this concerns you so much, your best recourse is simply to keep your daughter off of services like Home. There really is no way for Sony to protect your daughter from rude, offensive people on an open service like Home. The moderators are vastly outnumbered by the idiots.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 2 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
314 posts

Jun 25, 2011

Gildabrid wrote:

We have a system where we ONLY report if it gets TRULY bad, like when the man (who Im sure was at least two times her age) threatened to find her and kill her: ALL BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T WANT TO TALK SEX WITH HIM? My daughter chose to do the right thing, and ended up unable to sleep for ONE WHOLE WEEK because she was afraid of what SONY is allowing!

If one person on Home can traumatize your daughter this badly, why are you still letting her use Home?

Message 3 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 25, 2011

Well that's the thing... no one was traumatized accept for the death threat. I think a much BETTER question would be to ask, "Why are such things allowed?" ` before asking WHY i continue to allow her to use the service. But to answer your question, She's done NOTHING wrong. WHY should I take her off of something that she enjoys with her friends? And I hear people all the time saying that it's impossible for Sony to truly Police up the situartion on PSHome due to all the users - I BEG TO DIFFER. I'm from a state of mind that says MONEY TALKS. And trust me, Sony has PLENTY of it. For anyone to assume that they can't improve the security on their little gaming community is about as ridiculous as saying, they can't afford to. I've made this point before and I'll continue to make it, Sony pulls in BILLIONS of dollars, on a quarterly basis - that's not even within a single year. I work with the military CLOSELY, now that I'm retired, and part of my job is securing areas where there are HUNDREDS of people up against my 15 man detail. I guarantee you they start making punishment more stiff on this Playstation Home, attitudes will shift! But to say that it's impossible, is almost laughable. I refuse to remove my daughter from something she enjoys, because males of ALL ages, can't control themselves. I'll see this matter through until they decide to make a change, or they shut it down. Either way is fine with me.  I ask you all to forgive me if I seem rude or obnoxious, my family AND MY DAUGHTER, are all calm persons. I teach her to keep her cool no matter the situation. But removing her, just because some 30 year old saw something he liked and can't control his hormones, isn't the solution.

Message 4 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 25, 2011

I thank you for your comment and advice. Forgive me if I appeared in any way RUDE or upset. Trust me, I'm not the only parent out there with questions.  Again I thank you

Message 5 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 25, 2011

My apologies from bringing this matter to the wrong place.

Message 6 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
258 posts

Jun 25, 2011

I think that she is at the age where she can ignore this kind of stuff in a virtual world and block the person who is saying it.

Come On!!

Message 7 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 25, 2011

I agree. She told me that she tried avoiding him IN THE SPACE several times. Then eventually left, only to have him continually send text messages to her while she was doing other things. From there, that was when things began to get profane (The cussing and all). I simply dont allow such things to be said in my home, as well as in the unit I run. I have men under me who I'm sure have come from all walks of life. When they're on they're own time, they can do what they wish, but when we're on the job and / or securing an area - I prefer that THEY keep the foul language down. We've been in countries where the women have acted much less than women, but my men maintain their training and bearings. Language like B**** (Forgive my example) is just not allowed when I'm on the clock.

But thank you all!

Message 9 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
258 posts

Jun 25, 2011

Good luck with this. Hopefully this horrible individual will get his dues. They say the way you live is how you play a game, so I am pretty sure this a very sadistic person in real life.

Come On!!

Message 10 of 138 (132 Views)
0 Likes