Jul 24 2010
By: evilfluffybunny Uncharted Territory 1362 posts

When Buying Items In Home...

32 replies 36 views Edited Jul 24, 2010

Do you buy an item, like you would in a real store, when it happens to remind you of someone close to you?

I was just wondering, because I have bought the deer head in Home, just because it reminded me of my dad, who passed back in 07. He loved to hunt, so I just couldn't help but buy the deer head. I feel silly for buying it, because it is only a virtual item, but when that deer head came out, I really couldn't help but buy it, just because it brought back some memories of my dad and made me happy. I have it in both my Waterfall Terrace apartment and Log Cabin apartment. As of lately, I've been trying to decorate the Log Cabin apartment as a decent hunting cabin, because my dad preferred log cabins and always wanted one.

When you think about it, it's rather neat that if you can't get the things someone you were close to or you wanted in the real world, you sure can inside of a virtual world. You can kind of do a tribute that will always be safe. Well, that is of course, if you back it up, especially for Home, haahaa.

And the Angel of the Lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!“
Message 1 of 33 (36 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Re: When Buying Items In Home...

Jul 24, 2010

Most awesome Evil.  I personally haven't found such an item - "yet" - but if/when I see one - you can bet your bottom dollar that I would.

For me - my most personal item (picture frame)  is filled with the pic of my recently passed dog Buddy.  It's good to know that he is with me both IN HOME as well as here on the Forums (he's in my signature as well).

JPConway

Message 2 of 33 (36 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1362 posts

Jul 24, 2010

JPConway wrote:

Most awesome Evil.  I personally haven't found such an item - "yet" - but if/when I see one - you can bet your bottom dollar that I would.

For me - my most personal item (picture frame)  is filled with the pic of my recently passed dog Buddy.  It's good to know that he is with me both IN HOME as well as here on the Forums (he's in my signature as well).

JPConway

Awwww... That's sweet.

I remembered the one dog my family had, out of a few others, that I just adored the most and thought of as the best dog ever. Sadly, we had to give him away, when we moved, because we just didn't have a good enough yard for him to hang out in. He was a very big dog and had several mixes in him, like German Sheppard, Great Dane, some kind of sheep dog mix that I forgot the name of, and a few others. Ever since then, it is really tough for me to get an attachment towards any other dog.

And the Angel of the Lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!“
Message 3 of 33 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
703 posts

Jul 24, 2010

Interesting topic and very good timing.  This past update, I just had to buy the Alice outfit because it reminded me of a dress I had when I was younger

RockStar owes me AWP!!
Message 4 of 33 (36 Views)
Survivor
1870 posts

Jul 24, 2010

evilfluffybunny wrote:

Do you buy an item, like you would in a real store, when it happens to remind you of someone close to you?

I was just wondering, because I have bought the deer head in Home, just because it reminded me of my dad, who passed back in 07. He loved to hunt, so I just couldn't help but buy the deer head. I feel silly for buying it, because it is only a virtual item, but when that deer head came out, I really couldn't help but buy it, just because it brought back some memories of my dad and made me happy. I have it in both my Waterfall Terrace apartment and Log Cabin apartment. As of lately, I've been trying to decorate the Log Cabin apartment as a decent hunting cabin, because my dad preferred log cabins and always wanted one.

When you think about it, it's rather neat that if you can't get the things someone you were close to or you wanted in the real world, you sure can inside of a virtual world. You can kind of do a tribute that will always be safe. Well, that is of course, if you back it up, especially for Home, haahaa.

First I would like to say that I am sorry to hear of your loss.

You should not feel silly for buying this item because like you said, it brought back memories and made you happy. And in the end that is all that really matters. Without love and happiness,........ well what is the sense?

Message 5 of 33 (36 Views)
Wastelander
761 posts

Jul 24, 2010

As a matter of fact, I did buy the black turtleneck when it was free (Closed Beta) because it reminded me of my favorite comedian, George Carlin.  His acts always made me laugh, and made me think.

If you want a picture of Home's future, imagine a boot stamping on an avatar's face... forever.
What we have here is failure to communicate. Some people you just can't reach.
"I have this thing I do? It's called THINKING." -George Carlin
Message 6 of 33 (36 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Jul 24, 2010

I put the cat doll from the "FPS" arcade game at IREM in all of my houses/apts because it reminds me of my Kitty.  So there's no reason to feel silly!

Message 7 of 33 (36 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jul 24, 2010

I don't buy stiuff right away anymore. My only exceptions are the stuff that Phil annonced during GDC 2007, E3 2007, and E3 2008. For example, the Pool tables, boombox, picture frames. As for virtual items, I tend to only buy a few items that I know i'll wear.

Message 8 of 33 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jul 24, 2010

I don't see anything silly about that at all, EFB. I often buy things that either reflect who I am now or things that I liked when I was younger.

I'm almost always wearing my PSN logo trainers, because they remind me of the leather Chuck Taylor high tops I've been wearing since high school. Not the same pair, mind you. That would be wrong.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 9 of 33 (36 Views)
I Only Post Everything
764 posts

Jul 24, 2010

Dont feel silly. I bought the red roses ornament because it reminded me of someone close that I lost. I put one in every apartment. The little things in life that make us feel better also makes the loss a little easier on us.

Message 10 of 33 (36 Views)