May 22 2013
By: Gamerboy16 Hekseville Citizen 385 posts

What's with the mainstream advertising...

42 replies 285 views Edited May 22, 2013

I thought PS HOME was a video gaming social network community yet I see spaces advertising Dr. Pepper, Clearisil, Wrangler, Diesel, etc which have nothing to do with gaming. I have no problem with the diesel and wrangler items but advertising what we can see in fashion magazines and everywhere else is a problem on a video gaming community even if the focus is on next gen gaming. This is basically my concerns from last year or the year before last come true.

Message 1 of 43 (285 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3714 posts

Re: What's with the mainstream advertising...

May 22, 2013
People buy ad space, contracts and so forth. Play Burnout Paradise even the President bought ad space on there let alone a bunch of companies. It's not ideal however it's the way of the world. Your PS3 advertises things on the XMB, the XBOX dash is full of ads.

I understand your argument is those are at least related to the medium they're being advertized on. Thing is it's not about what's relevant it's down to who's willing to pay for the adspace and who's willing to produce the content. :smileysad:

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 2 of 43 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

May 22, 2013
They justt care about money, money, money. Lot touch with their customers.

Lazy home staff.
Message 3 of 43 (272 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

May 22, 2013

Ads pay bills. As long as the rewards or content with them is interesting and fun I don't see it as a problem. I much rather not see a ton of ads in public spaces although the core spaces are pretty much just that. 

I'd certainly prefer it if we could get game related advertizing and content and I'm sure I'm not alone. 

Thank goodness we have spaces like Acorn with no ads. 

Message 4 of 43 (265 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1995 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013
PlayStation Home used to advertise things like this a lot a couple years ago and they're just getting back into it again now.

To be honest I like it, this creates more publicity for Home and may attract more people along with supplying constant activities for users to participate in on PlayStation Home.

These events that are held by sponsors also tend to include an interactive activity of some type that we must play in order to achieve some certain goal, so in a way this has a bit to do with gaming.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 43 (264 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6168 posts

May 22, 2013

I blame game piracy for everything.

From the cost of games, to the ever shrinking size of frozen waffles...

They must be stopped!

BannerFans.com
Message 6 of 43 (255 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

May 22, 2013
Acorn place is just a replacement for Home Tycoon. Home Tycoon died down. Acorn is now popular. $$$ $$$ just another trick.
Message 7 of 43 (253 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

May 22, 2013

rramsdell wrote:
Acorn place is just a replacement for Home Tycoon. Home Tycoon died down. Acorn is now popular. $$$ $$$ just another trick.

Oh please it's a fun social spot. Try coming there and chatting with people. Home doesn't need to be about money. I have fun with my friends and they don't charge me to talk to them.

I feel sorry for those who just don't seem to know how to have fun. 

Message 8 of 43 (236 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

May 22, 2013

"home doesn't need to be about $$$" Are you high?  The message of the day is all about $$$   Even their intro.

What Home do you have??

Message 9 of 43 (221 Views)
Fender Bender
2040 posts

May 22, 2013

rramsdell wrote:

"home doesn't need to be about $$$" Are you high?  The message of the day is all about $$$   Even their intro.

What Home do you have??

Let's face it. There have been some people on these forums that have been engaging in a years long, non-stop  temper tantrum about having to spend ANY money in Home. Most of us have learned to tune those people out.

Personally, I'm happy to see mainstream advertisers in Home because it shows that there is broader support for the concept. I'd love to see Home focused more on bringing in a mainstream audience. I think gamers are going to find it anyway.

Most activity on Home is still free. At least to try things. Everything associated with running Home costs money. I'd like to hear how people that are opposed to seeing advertising in Home propose to pay the bills without it.

Message 10 of 43 (196 Views)