Gaming Beast
1300 posts

Re: What do you do about begging on Home?

May 31, 2013

I haven't had this happen lately with anyone I've added. It's usually the randoms who come to me asking for handouts.

Yesterday at Acorn Meadows Park, somebody came up to me asking if I would buy him a $100 PSN card. I mean, c'mon...Reallly? I told him no, and while I was typing where he could find some free rewards, he runs off.

While I think it would be a kind gesture to give away PSN cards to those who ask, it's only feeding the problem. The way I look at it is... If someone has a PS3, multiple games, and internet, they can probably afford their own PSN card and shouldn't be going around begging and using people. 

Message 11 of 43 (203 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

May 31, 2013

younginflavor18 wrote:

I would delete them altogether and want nothing to do with them anymore. I used to have a friend who befriended me so he can get games off my account (which is odd because I think he's capable of buying stuff with his own money). I politely refused to do it and he decided to delete me out of anger but I put him under my block list so I can distance myself from him.

As for the begging on Home, I would normally ignore them and tell them not to ask me that again. I remember a fella in Acorn Meadows asking me to give him LKWD gifts without first knowing me. I even turned down his offer of friendship. I bet some users are like that, getting something they can't give in return to a friend who was generous.

As for you helping them "earn" rewards they can't afford, you don't have to be swayed and feel obligated to help them. They don't even deserve any sympathy from you if they can't put any effort on their part.

Yeah, maybe you're right, but if I can find a way to make the experience better for someone else (within reason), maybe they "pay-it-forward" and do the same for someone else and it will have a snowball effect that will make things better for everyone. I know it's a bit idealistic, but you never really know how much you impact peoples lives, sometimes even people you've never met.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 12 of 43 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2003 posts

May 31, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

I've noticed a few patterns when meeting new, random people on Home. People that come up to me and say "Hello", "Please add me" and then send you a friend request (without any other conversation) are almost always looking for you to gift them something, or send them a PSN card code. I just ignore those and delete the requests.

But even people who I have a nice conversation with, and perhaps spend some time helping them get rewards will send me a friend request and, inevitably, 2-3 days later comes the XMB messages to give them something. For the longest time, I would just delete them from my friends list and move on.

Recently, however, I started to re-think this practice. By doing this, aren't I just shoving these people off on someone else. Shouldn't I try to help them find ways to "earn" what they can't afford, instead of leaving them to continue with behavior that may lead them to alienation and ire? Perhaps the individuals may even be unaware of what they are doing to receive such a response.

So, the last time this happened. I decided to conduct a social experiment. I offered advice to check the forums or join a club that regularly gives out prizes to the winners of various competitions. I explained that people were often put off by people asking to be given something for nothing. 

This was apparently, the wrong course of action. The response I received in return was quite angry. I was referred to as a "female dog" on more than one occasion. (misspelled, of course) and then I was promptly deleted from their friends list. (I'm really broken up about the loss, but I shall endure). Smiley Wink

So my question is, what do YOU do about people who appear to only want to friend you to get closer to your wallet?

I just looked up the word "naive" in the dictionary and guess what?  It showed your picture lol.  But be careful after being naive you might graduate to being a fool.

Message 13 of 43 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

May 31, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I just looked up the word "naive" in the dictionary and guess what?  It showed your picture lol.  But be careful after being naive you might graduate to being a fool.

Thanks Dawna, I'll try to be careful. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 43 (184 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

May 31, 2013

Because in another game you could trade stuff with others at your leisure...begging was abundant. Like imagine wearing the Gold Suit at a Somalian airport type begging. So how did we get around this? We couldn't just say "we can't give you things" because not only did they not believe us, they felt because we could we should. So we did this...

"Sure, give me the money for it and I'll gift you. I don't have any money right now."

"It costs real money. Do you have any?" "No" "Sucks to be you then"

"Do you work?" "No" "Here's a job site. Happy hunting!"

And so on.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 15 of 43 (174 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

[ Edited ]
May 31, 2013

If someone cared enough about investing in Home, they would find a way to at least get a $10 card themselves.

If youre 16 or older...get a job and fund your own hobbies. If youre under 16 and cant work...mow some lawns, do some chores around the house. Trade in a few games to GameStop for cash value.

Most of these teenagers nowadays have really nice cars, expensive gadgets and cell phones...im sure they can get their rich mommies and daddies to buy em a PSN card.

Once, I was so desperate for a $20 card...that I even went and donated plasma for cash. LOL

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 16 of 43 (166 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5453 posts

May 31, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

If someone cared enough about investing in Home, they would find a way to at least get a $10 card themselves.

If youre 16 or older...get a job and fund your own hobbies. If youre under 16 and cant work...mow some lawns, do some chores around the house. Trade in a few games to GameStop for cash value.

Most of these teenagers nowadays have really nice cars, expensive gadgets and cell phones...im sure they can get their rich mommies and daddies to buy em a PSN card.

Once, I was so desperate for a $20 card...that I even went and donated plasma for cash. LOL

Wow.... really? o.O LOL

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 17 of 43 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

May 31, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:

If everyone here could donate their "plasma" for PSN cards I think this forum would be a whole lot happier.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 18 of 43 (146 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

May 31, 2013
I think I may be addicted to Home. LOL
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 19 of 43 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

May 31, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Shadow-Runner wrote:

If everyone here could donate their "plasma" for PSN cards I think this forum would be a whole lot happier.

AND a lot more people falling asleep with their avatars idle. :-P

Message 20 of 43 (126 Views)