Nov 27 2012
By: KatCall75 Fender Bender 2291 posts

What can we do about all the new people XI2 will bring?

[ Edited ]
51 replies 582 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

As most that read these forums probably already know, the new XI2 will be coming out this week.  This means Home is about to get slammed with a ton of new members to our community.  What my concern is, no one's really talking about what we can be doing as members of the community to make this a better experience for everyone, and what this huge surge of new people means to us.

Personally, I think we all should look out more for new members in the next few weeks.  If you see someone who appears to be new, consider taking a moment to ask them if they are new, and if so, if they have any questions.  If you're running a club, the next few weeks will be a perfect time to look for new members.

We're going to get a lot of people who have no idea what they are doing, so we all are going to need to show some patience with these people.

We may also need to consider hiring some more HCV's.

The Home Managers might want to consider hiring more Mods to watch over people's conduct in Home more.

Any other ideas?

Message 1 of 52 (582 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Re: What can we do about all the new people XI2 will bring?

Nov 27, 2012

KatCall75 wrote:

As most that read these forums probably already know, the new XI2 will be coming out this week.  This means Home is about to get slammed with a ton of new members to our community.  What my concern is, no one's really talking about what we can be doing as members of the community to make this a better experience for everyone, and what this huge surge of new people means to us.

Personally, I think we all should look out more for new members in the next few weeks.  If you see someone who appears to be new, consider taking a moment to ask them if they are new, and if so, if they have any questions.  If you're running a club, the next few weeks will be a perfect time to look for new members.

We're going to get a lot of people who have no idea what they are doing, so we all are going to need to show some patience with these people.

We may also need to consider hiring some more HCV's.

The Home Managers might want to consider hiring more Mods to watch over people's conduct in Home more.

Any other ideas?

I say Kill them then take all there money. 

But really it's not very likely that many more people will be coming back just for this game.  Yes we can high hope but that's about it. 

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 2 of 52 (568 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

KatCall75 wrote:

A

But really it's not very likely that many more people will be coming back just for this game.  Yes we can high hope but that's about it. 

Message 3 of 52 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Sorry, forums not posting what I type.

Really?  I was thinking for sure this was going to be huge.  Maybe you're right. 

Message 4 of 52 (545 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Only New people will be the people who use HOME now...  

Allot of the ones from 2009 are gone...   Unlike me who's still here... LOL!

And i know that most likely none of those from 2009 will even know that Xi is coming back or they won't care at this point to return to Home for the new Xi...

What A SHAME!

But it's there loss.... Unless it has lame Rewards like last time. I sure hope not Two T-Shirts and a few trophy's at the very end... And all the Hard work it took to get it done... I say they need more Rewards this time.... If not We better not be hearing people afterwards yellling we want Xi3   Blah Blah Blah!   They need to get it right for Xi2 is all i'm saying...  Feed Me More! As in MORE Rewards!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 5 of 52 (542 Views)
0 Likes
nDreams Developer
514 posts

Nov 27, 2012

I certainly hope new people will join.

And even if they don't it should be great to see people working together who may not always do so

with regards to rewards, I'm doing a community get together next week and I'll talk about a few Xi: Continuum details and I'll cover that of as well.

Joey

nDreams Digital Product Manager

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ndreamers
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/joeydale13
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndreamers
Message 6 of 52 (531 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Nov 27, 2012

You are wonderfully optimistic Kat...I wish I was as well. It's ironic that some of those who have been around the longest and who reminisce so fondly about how the community was "back then" are the same ones who make such off-handed dismissals.

Having more people use Home should be what we all want and maybe this event will bring more folks into our community...I don't really know. What I AM sure of is that folks such as yourself are an asset and you do us a great service. Many of us had help early on when we first joined Home. We'd all be better off if new members continued to have such positive people as mentors.

Message 7 of 52 (509 Views)
Survivor
2432 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Can't speak for everybody, but I'M going to give the noobs a hand whenever I can from here on out. After traveling through all 4 regions, I've reached the conclusion that the NA must be really un-user-friendly, since we require HCV's to do something all of us in the Home community should've been doing from the beginning. I know when I was a noob, it wasn't an HCV that helped me out, showed me the way; it was Joe Random-Citizen and his "girlfriend" Jill. Has Home gone down a different path since Xi? Most definitely, but it doesn't mean that we as community members need to anti-socialize because of it. If anything, we should be drawing closer together. Well, I'm done with my turn on the soap box, who's next? Smiley Wink

Photobucket
Message 8 of 52 (472 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

We have lots of new people here on the forum. If it's any indicator of in world there are a lot of new people there as well. I think Xi Continuum is going to draw lots back and many new people as well.

It's going to certainly give people a reason to log on each day and participate. It's going to help people make fiends and Home without friends is pretty boring. 

Xi Continuum is going to need a new forum in my view anyway. This should be an interesting adventure. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 52 (461 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Nov 27, 2012

stardeth wrote:

Can't speak for everybody, but I'M going to give the noobs a hand whenever I can from here on out. After traveling through all 4 regions, I've reached the conclusion that the NA must be really un-user-friendly, since we require HCV's to do something all of us in the Home community should've been doing from the beginning. I know when I was a noob, it wasn't an HCV that helped me out, showed me the way; it was Joe Random-Citizen and his "girlfriend" Jill. Has Home gone down a different path since Xi? Most definitely, but it doesn't mean that we as community members need to anti-socialize because of it. If anything, we should be drawing closer together. Well, I'm done with my turn on the soap box, who's next? Smiley Wink

My sentiments exactly. I also think it's rather telling that the developer who happened to "chime in" in this thread will have more kudos than the OP. It's great when we get such feedback, it just seems that even when staff or developers mostly echo what others have said before them, that people rush to hop on the bandwagon and give them a pat on the back. I should be used to it by now, but it still bothers me.

Message 10 of 52 (459 Views)
0 Likes