Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/10/2012
Offline
147 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

Home is an evolution in and of itself.  Nobody expected it to become exactly what it is now, and nobody knows exactly what it may become in the future.

But does it need more AAA Game Developer involvement?  Yes, I feel it does and it should, especially being console based, but as HearItWow pointed out, the bigger games are competing with the very same type of micro-games that we see popping up all over inside Home, from Old developers like Lockwood to the new ones like Juggernaut.  So the question is, is Home like this because it is in survival mode?  Or as some believe is it like this due to the demands of the community within Home?

Guess what.  It's all of these reasons combined.  But Home is evolving, & like it or not things change.  I expect to see something Home-like or not to replace it on the PS4.  Some "Virtual World" will be there.

What is Home to you?  Why do you play it?  What brings you back?  Personally I always found the mini-games in Home amusing, but I also thought the Uncharted 3 Pre-order bonus of Drake's gun-wielding avatar was pretty sweet.  I would like to see more of that.  If Home is on the PS4, it is pretty likely we will see those sort of offers again, but perhaps more for the "mini-game" categories.  Look at the pop-up of all the Arcade Apps in Home now.  Think about it, Home is marketing games, mini-games, it's own & others.  Just not the big "Disc" type games (which will likely become all downloadable on the PS4).

Friends in Home make the difference between a boring & mundane experience for some, and for others they completely avoid people while just playing mini-games for rewards.  Does it really matter why you play Home, as long as you enjoy it without messing it up for others?

StardustChampion: The developers keeping it alive are simply exploiting a flock shallow fools--the type who amble around a flea market on Sunday afternoon in a vacuous stupor, hoping to find something shiny to buy before shoving another funnel cake down their throats.

You make it sound like Home is a bunch of retired seniors in wheelchairs who don't have the sense of a fruit fly! Lmao
Home is made up of such a broad range of people of all ages and backgrounds, there is no way you could over-simplify it anymore beyond the reality of what it actually is than that.

Overall, Sony has done a pretty good job keeping the place growing, considering it is the only console based "Virtual Chat Room" (another over-simplification).  Complain about ISE?  Glitches?  Developers "milking out" every cent from gullible people?  You think that other virtual worlds don't have their equivalent of these problems?  Or that they aren't worse?  Take a dive into 2nd Life, or any online virtual world.  They all have problems with hacks, glitches (although some are harmless), trolls, pervs and actually far worse than the "hacking" population of Home has to offer.  And as far as "milking out", are you kidding me?  What is required to be involved in Home?  1) a PS3 2) a TV, most likely an HDTV now 3) a Home, rented or owned 4) a job (or parents etc who support those who don't work) 5) lets not forget electric! You have to turn that PS3 and TV on!  LOL So really it's laughable to think that Home is some "big scam" as some people try to make it out to be.  Look around online and think about the bigger picture.  Home is a virtual beast, and it's pretty darn tame in comparison to what it could be (good or bad, that's for you to decide).

Conrad_Max: I see Home as a constantly moving, breathing and evolving world. Sure, not everything will be fantastic. But the fact that it's always changing and growing is exciting to me.

Key words "evolving" and "will be", expect things to change & don't get all bent out of shape over it if there is still something or some friends in Home that bring you back.  Home is like it's own digital organism now and it does need to survive, free rewards just won't cut it anymore.  And not having AAA games putting ads in isn't helping, but the micro-games are ready to explode into Home.  That's exactly what I expect we will keep seeing.

LiLBlueEyes:

Personally I don't hate Home,  if I did I wouldn't use it at all.

I think Sonys intentions were good, but people being people there will always be conflict and bad element. Especially when they removed active in Home moderation.

Well said, and "Active Moderation" doesn't mean the moderators need to be visible, but that they need to be there IN Home.  The problem isn't with moderation at this point, it's with how many, and I suspect that will be changing if the hopes of a Playstation 4 Home become real, then expect to be paying for moderation somehow.  It's going to cost to have a moderator in every virtual space, or enough available to handle the Home drama that can unfold in any given set of spaces across the world.

It also has a lot to do with your attitude when you go into Home, if you go around complaining and looking for issues with people or developers, likely that's all you will experience.  Garbage attracts garbage.  If that's how you roll, hey have fun, it doesn't sound fun to me.  But my suggestion is take a break from that and give the happy & fun people in Home a chance, and enjoy some Home games without nitpicking every little detail or breaking-down over not having some upgrade.

TSUNADE1224:

You know after reading Pink Julias thread I was inclined to spend time in the Hub yesterday to experience for myself all of these shenanigans that according to some happens all day in the Hub.  To my surprise I saw none of this, no harassment, no arguing, no overly sexy outfits, I was there for hours and I actually had a really pleasant time, in fact one avi that was there stated the following "Do you know what I would do if someone cursed at me?... I would give them a hug".

So it is the humble opinion of this Home user that the people I've met on Home, the people I've met on the forum have become a big part of my life.  We argue, share fun moments, share sad moments, share our stories, videos, opinions and most of all we all share the common bond we call HOME and it may not have been what Sony intended, but I wouldnt have it any other way

Joanna_Dark_:

Home is all about the people.

Personally I have a problem with users who feel the need to continually call other members in the community names and to belittle them in order to make their so called point.

Sorry but everyone may be entitled to an opinion I suppose but most here aren't naive. They can certainly read and see those who simply have little to no respect for others. Calling people names doesn't make them right. It simply makes them look bad.

These are your people in Home, everybody above, everybody in this thread (most everybody I would assume) and in these forums.  What I see in these forums is for the most part, people trying to help other people out (gamers or non-gamer labels aside).  It doesn't matter what it is, it's people having fun with other people.  That's entertainment, and that is what Home is about, no matter what form that takes for you inside Home, it's there for you, because if nothing was there, you wouldn't be coming back.  Some people say "it's because of how much overall they spent, their friendship investments etc etc".  Friendship investments, sure that's true, but overall, like it's just a plain addiction?  There's much worse addictions than Home folks! LOL If you spend thousands over the years on cola, coffee or cigarettes, then you stop those habits do you expect a refund?  Stopping those habits means that you didn't enjoy them in the past?  No, Home isn't going to give you cancer or a heart-attack unless you literally never get out of your chair, then maybe.  But to say that people keep playing Home only because of money spent in the past?  That's not true.  People play whatever they enjoy, if they find they don't they stop putting money into it.  Some people still play games on the Atari, some get outside to play a real game of baseball too, then when it's raining they can play it on their PS3 or talk about it in Home.

 Conrad_Max:

But I wouldn't mind having a personal space made specifically to show off my Home mini-game trophies (See March 2013 Suggestions!).

Anybody here mind figuring how many hours it would take to play all Home games within Home, get all the rewards, with and without upgrades?

A LONG TIME! LOL Having a virtual Trophy room for Home games would offset the lack of *ANY* trophies on PSN whatsoever for Home games.  This being something that either Sony would have to do, or developers across the board would have to collaborate in doing together.  Either way, I agree on this 110% Conrad Bro.

Attitude and perspective: Look from the other side, let's say for whoever you are or feel you are in the gaming world, you jump to your polar opposite if you have one.

• Extreme Hardcore Gamer: Platinum's' across the board on multiple accounts for tons of games, multiple systems, multiple forums, eats sleeps and drinks gaming.  This person may live in their mom's basement or is independently wealthy after some winnings or a successful business enterprise (that is run by great management, not them) or a trust fund kid or is some sort of ageless vampire.  They are the people, like them or not, that you want on your team in a shooter, in a race, in a puzzle game.  But once they walk into Home and find there is more than just flat-out gaming.  That there is a social element beyond just gaming, sometimes, well, they get burned (socially) and so they leave Home with a bitter taste.  That's where the hatred of Home comes from in an over-simplified perspective.  Because everybody can't deal with the trolls, perverts and social twisters within Home, so they leave and they hate it.

• Extremely Casual Mini-Gamer: No trophies or maybe a few, never posts on any game related forum, or if they do, it's rarely about gaming.  This person likely works a full-time job or is a full-time student.  They are the people you avoid in online games.  They "noob-toob" you in shooters, they get lost on a map the size of a radio shack parking lot, they die a lot, A LOT.  They are the last people you would ever ask about rewards in a Home Game.  But a lot of these folks dig Home, and they may not actually play much, but once they get talking they learn stuff & they can tell you things about Home that you may not even care to hear! LOL These are the people who when it comes down to trolls, they can spit out a word scramble of educated fire & ice that will toast the most seasoned trolls.  Still they can't hit an orge in Edo on the first try.

Most people in Home fall somewhere in-between these extreme examples, and no matter where you are at, you can still be valued for something within Home. You can still make Home a better place by just being as cool as you can while tolerating or ignoring the trolls (the new ignore is very cool BTW).

So what has gone wrong with Home?  The people?  I don't think so, it has always been a mix of people, and to blame it on what they buy through marketing or what groups they form, that's a cop-out.  You don't need to dictate or control what everybody does in a virtual world through marketing or anything "shiny".  What you do need is to be able to tolerate those you don't like being around & appreciate those that you do while giving new people a chance until they prove otherwise.  If things are all about marketing, then how come the person who jogs by a McDonald's every day doesn't stop in there to eat or isn't rolling down the sidewalk on a wagon? (Although a McDonald's advertiser may pay them to stand in a commercial for a Big Mac! LOL)

The games?  Sort of.  But that's what is keeping Home expanding, the mini-games, and it is the future of gaming.

ILLUMIN-X:

Jack envisioned an entire growing community free to travel and experience Home in different ways and means. Gaming being just one part of it.

This is actually true to this very day.  Jack's vision never died, not at all, it simply evolved.  The community of Home is still growing still with more people buying in on whatever elements of Home that fit their fancy.  You can travel through the navigator, through tele-ports, directly to friends or across spaces from entrance/exit points that involve only pressing "X" and no navigator at all.  Although the "Total Game Integration" should come back more beyond expired things like the Street Fighter X Tekken event space. (Expired, as in it is very old now, but not gone from the navigator.)

 

(The-Sarge, this quote has been corrected now.)


Joanna_Dark_: 

I don't buy the idea that Home isn't for real gamers because all those on my list play real games all the time on the XMB. At least most of them do. Home lost it's direction when it left real games behind.

Home should be for both gamers and those who choose to simply socialize. It certainaly shouldn't be all about 3rd Party made for Home games and content.

Here's the thing:  Mini-games are real games for a lot of people, they out-sell "real games", the makers make more money off of mini-games now (quite often) than "real games".  Home left the disc-based game promotions (not saying I like this, but it's reality) because Home needs a reason to live.  Mini-games and the developers who make them give it that reason.  No matter how many people only play Home for fashion or personal spaces, it would be DEAD without mini-games.  The 3rd parties are exactly why Home is still here, and they need a reason to live too, in Home.  Face it, Home would be DEAD without the 3rd parties.  Yes, please bring back some AAA game promotions and spaces, Sony, I think a few won't hurt Home.  But to think for the Disc based games to come back and support Home in any significant way like in the past?  That's not going to happen.  It's a Mini-game, Micro-transaction world now, like it or not.  And it isn't just Playstation Home where this is happening it is happening all across the board online.

HearItWow:

Violet can speak for herself, but a lot of people own PS3s because they're one of the better networked entertainment devices on the market.

HearItWow:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see people start referring to the third console generation as the Golden Age of disc-based games. The thing about that title is that it's an obituary, because there's never a second Golden Age.

These are the reasons Home is evolving and has to evolve.

Like it or hate it, things change & evolve.  Would you rather Home stay a dinosaur and go extinct?  Or keep evolving and give it a chance to once again promote some Big AAA game titles for us in the future?  Guess who is making that a possibility?  The 3rd party developers, because without them, and their mini-games, Home would be dead and there would be nothing for "real games" to come to, except dust.  And no, I don't mean Dust 514.

Message 101 of 111 (345 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/20/2006
Offline
4391 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 3, 2013

matthewaristotle wrote:


The-Sarge:

I don't buy the idea that Home isn't for real gamers because all those on my list play real games all the time on the XMB. At least most of them do. Home lost it's direction when it left real games behind.

Home should be for both gamers and those who choose to simply socialize. It certainaly shouldn't be all about 3rd Party made for Home games and content.


 

Just to set the record straight.  This quote you attribute to me, I did not actually say.

This was a response from Joanna in reference to something she had quoted from me.
You have actually quoted her response to my post, not any direct quote of mine.
 
 
 
.

 

 


 


 


 


Be One With The Game.

Message 102 of 111 (296 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/20/2006
Offline
4391 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Violet can speak for herself, but a lot of people own PS3s because they're one of the better networked entertainment devices on the market.

 

It was highly recommended as a 3-D Blu-Ray player just a couple of years ago.


And that is fair enough.  I just wanted to hear what her answer was.

 

I was just addressing the 400 lb gorilla that was introduced into the room with her post.

 

You don't come to a forum for a video game console, and make a post that you are not into gaming, and don't care much for gaming content, and not expect to have the natural follow up question asked as to why you would then have a gaming console.

 

I mean, that's like telling someone to never press the red button, and then not expect them to immediately ask you "why not"?

 

 

 

.

 


 


 


 


Be One With The Game.

Message 103 of 111 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2008
Offline
8666 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 3, 2013

matthewaristotle wrote:

Home is an evolution in and of itself.  Nobody expected it to become exactly what it is now, and nobody knows exactly what it may become in the future.

But does it need more AAA Game Developer involvement?  Yes, I feel it does and it should, especially being console based, but as HearItWow pointed out, the bigger games are competing with the very same type of micro-games that we see popping up all over inside Home, from Old developers like Lockwood to the new ones like Juggernaut.  So the question is, is Home like this because it is in survival mode?  Or as some believe is it like this due to the demands of the community within Home?

Guess what.  It's all of these reasons combined.  But Home is evolving, & like it or not things change.  I expect to see something Home-like or not to replace it on the PS4.  Some "Virtual World" will be there.

What is Home to you?  Why do you play it?  What brings you back?  Personally I always found the mini-games in Home amusing, but I also thought the Uncharted 3 Pre-order bonus of Drake's gun-wielding avatar was pretty sweet.  I would like to see more of that.  If Home is on the PS4, it is pretty likely we will see those sort of offers again, but perhaps more for the "mini-game" categories.  Look at the pop-up of all the Arcade Apps in Home now.  Think about it, Home is marketing games, mini-games, it's own & others.  Just not the big "Disc" type games (which will likely become all downloadable on the PS4).

Friends in Home make the difference between a boring & mundane experience for some, and for others they completely avoid people while just playing mini-games for rewards.  Does it really matter why you play Home, as long as you enjoy it without messing it up for others?


You know the subject is "What went wrong with Home" right?  All I see in your post is what "you" like in Home.  But you have to stand back and ask your self if you worked for Sony what would you do to make Home better.  We can all stand here all day and night and say good things about Home but that would never make Home better in any way and Sony will continue to make the same mistakes over and over due to them not knowing what we don't like about Home.

***********************************
Folding@home Team #118000
***********************************
GAPHome

             

               General

Message 104 of 111 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/10/2012
Offline
147 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 10, 2013

The-Sarge wrote:

matthewaristotle wrote:


The-Sarge:

I don't buy the idea that Home isn't for real gamers because all those on my list play real games all the time on the XMB. At least most of them do. Home lost it's direction when it left real games behind.

Home should be for both gamers and those who choose to simply socialize. It certainaly shouldn't be all about 3rd Party made for Home games and content.


 

Just to set the record straight.  This quote you attribute to me, I did not actually say.

This was a response from Joanna in reference to something she had quoted from me.
You have actually quoted her response to my post, not any direct quote of mine.
 
 
 
.

 


Thanks for bringing that to my attention, The-Sarge, it has been corrected now.

Message 105 of 111 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/10/2012
Offline
147 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 10, 2013

King0fHearts2007 wrote:

matthewaristotle wrote:

Home is an evolution in and of itself.  Nobody expected it to become exactly what it is now, and nobody knows exactly what it may become in the future.

But does it need more AAA Game Developer involvement?  Yes, I feel it does and it should, especially being console based, but as HearItWow pointed out, the bigger games are competing with the very same type of micro-games that we see popping up all over inside Home, from Old developers like Lockwood to the new ones like Juggernaut.  So the question is, is Home like this because it is in survival mode?  Or as some believe is it like this due to the demands of the community within Home?

Guess what.  It's all of these reasons combined.  But Home is evolving, & like it or not things change.  I expect to see something Home-like or not to replace it on the PS4.  Some "Virtual World" will be there.

What is Home to you?  Why do you play it?  What brings you back?  Personally I always found the mini-games in Home amusing, but I also thought the Uncharted 3 Pre-order bonus of Drake's gun-wielding avatar was pretty sweet.  I would like to see more of that.  If Home is on the PS4, it is pretty likely we will see those sort of offers again, but perhaps more for the "mini-game" categories.  Look at the pop-up of all the Arcade Apps in Home now.  Think about it, Home is marketing games, mini-games, it's own & others.  Just not the big "Disc" type games (which will likely become all downloadable on the PS4).

Friends in Home make the difference between a boring & mundane experience for some, and for others they completely avoid people while just playing mini-games for rewards.  Does it really matter why you play Home, as long as you enjoy it without messing it up for others?


You know the subject is "What went wrong with Home" right?  All I see in your post is what "you" like in Home.  But you have to stand back and ask your self if you worked for Sony what would you do to make Home better.  We can all stand here all day and night and say good things about Home but that would never make Home better in any way and Sony will continue to make the same mistakes over and over due to them not knowing what we don't like about Home.


As I said in my first post in this thread:

 

But does it need more AAA Game Developer involvement?  Yes, I feel it does and it should, especially being console based, but as HearItWow pointed out, the bigger games are competing with the very same type of micro-games that we see popping up all over inside Home, from Old developers like Lockwood to the new ones like Juggernaut.  So the question is, is Home like this because it is in survival mode?  Or as some believe is it like this due to the demands of the community within Home?

Guess what.  It's all of these reasons combined.  But Home is evolving, & like it or not things change.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

All you see?

 

Read it again, read between the lines some.

Message 106 of 111 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 10, 2013

I'm afraid I ruined Home. It was all me....I'm sorry and promise that I probably won't do it again.

Message 107 of 111 (99 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/10/2012
Offline
147 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

myalana wrote:

I'm afraid I ruined Home. It was all me....I'm sorry and promise that I probably won't do it again.


Well it shouldn't be a problem myalana, as it seems nobody gets banned anymore.

 

To take credit for all of it yourself is courageous! Or were you controlling the dozens of freezers, perverts, trolls, etc etc avatars running around over the last few years?  You must look like that Hindu God with 8 or 10 arms or something! (& living in a warehouse of constantly running PS3's!)  LOL

Message 108 of 111 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 06/28/2009
Offline
8001 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 10, 2013

matthewaristotle wrote:

myalana wrote:

I'm afraid I ruined Home. It was all me....I'm sorry and promise that I probably won't do it again.


Well it shouldn't be a problem myalana, as it seems nobody gets banned anymore.

 

To take credit for all of it yourself is courageous! Or were you controlling the dozens of freezers, perverts, trolls, etc etc avatars running around over the last few years?  You must look like that Hindu God with 8 or 10 arms or something! (& living in a warehouse of constantly running PS3's!)  LOL


Yes, it was all me. I was busy. Now I'll go back to playing pool...my work here is done. 

Message 109 of 111 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/20/2006
Offline
4391 posts
 

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 10, 2013

myalana wrote:

I'm sorry and promise that I probably won't do it again.


:smileylol::smileylol::smileylol:  Classic.

 

 

 

 

.

 


 


 


 


Be One With The Game.

Message 110 of 111 (72 Views)
0 Likes