Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Re: WHEELCHAIRS!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

I haven't witnessed anyone using the item to mock or harass anyone either. In Home there are tons of items to customize your avatar with, and I don't find the wheelchairs to be offensive personally, silly maybe but ridiculous/controversial content is nothing new to Home. *cough* Weird Wear *cough*

Someone might be using it in an offensive manner but how many 'troll' avatars do you see on an average day using certain combinations of items that some might find offensive?

I don't think any of those items should be removed from Home. If you dislike the item, don't purchase it and If someone is causing grief then just ignore or report and move on.

Message 121 of 124 (189 Views)
Fender Bender
2518 posts

Jun 1, 2013

It's funny how I have never met a person who is actually disabled who finds the wheelchairs offensive. There is a school of thought that the virtual presence of wheelchairs can help normalize people's perceptions of disabled people and increase understanding and tolerance.

..Just a thought.

Message 122 of 124 (151 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Brises_0000 wrote:

It's funny how I have never met a person who is actually disabled who finds the wheelchairs offensive. There is a school of thought that the virtual presence of wheelchairs can help normalize people's perceptions of disabled people and increase understanding and tolerance.

..Just a thought.

Nor have I. I also haven't seen anyone displaying abusive behavior using the wheelchair as a prop. I'm sure it has happened, but it could happen with most any item currently available.

Message 123 of 124 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Jun 1, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

lpkid5382 wrote:

These items shoul be removed period.   Are we that lazy, that our avatars have to sit in wheelchair now. How many disabled people are there on Home.

Its like, you go out shopping for the day and you see these dumb teenage punks, using the wheelchair until they are  approached by management for abusing the chairs. Give attitude, claim they need it but really don't.

Maybe home has become handicapped.   These wheelchairs very sentive area.  No place for home period. Entertainment or not.

1) So disabled people are LAZY now if they use wheelchairs? How do you define who is/isn't lazy or who should have what? This is a virtual world Sim not a God Sim.

2) No place for wheelchairs in Home? Isn't that discriminating against wheelchair users that might want them?

3) You think they're here purely for entertainment? Way to undermine those needing/wanting wheelchairs.

4) Other virtual worlds have wheelchairs and I've seen little complaints about them in there.

Never said disabled people were lazy.  Our avatars don't need wheelchairs   Our avatars that lazy, we have to sit down the entire time but could do without the wheelchair.

Message 124 of 124 (111 Views)
0 Likes