Highlighted
Feb 23 2013
By: Mermaid-KT Fender Bender 2781 posts

WARNING - do NOT delete your Home files.

[ Edited ]
34 replies 871 views Edited Feb 23, 2013

If anyone was in any doubt or considering deleting their Home files as they were no longer required as everything is now on the Sony servers, I highly suggest you leave them where they are. I had a disconnection error and when I tried to sign back into Home it made me upload all my files again. I tried the normal things, but couldnt avoid uploading them again.

Because I kept them, all my apartments were as previous (apart from the changes I made since the 1.75 update), and so were my avatar settings. I thought the damage was going to be quite significant, but I actually benefited slightly out of this as well, so I was very lucky it wasnt all bad, but I would hate for anyone to unecessarily lose alot of hard work that they may have put in decorating.

For ingame things, like tropical points, Edo points etc, this is what happened to me...

Tropical Points - All reverted back to pre 1.75 settings (I lost 2000 points that I had accumulated since the update)

Demon Points - Mine were NOT lost (I was very relieved. I've been battling with a sword all this time trying to get the bikini and am almost there and thought I was about to lose all my points)

Soul Points - All lost and reverted back to pre 1.75 update (not too concerned, cant doing anything with them just yet)

Ryo - All lost and reverted back to pre 1.75 update (this fell in my favor, I had just under 9,700 as saving for the 9,900 teapot, bought that and other things and had about 1,000 left. Thanks to the disconnect I'm back up yo 9,700).

PeakVox Labs - Much to my suprise all my ingredients, and ones I had cooking, were still there.

All bought and won items were not lost.

As you can see, I lucked out quite a lot, and it could have been far worse, but I was pleased I hadnt deleted any Home files so mainly all my decor in my apartments was not lost (fortunately the changes I had made were minimal). It does concern me thought that this will happen again, and further down the road when many of us have made more changes, and decorated new apartments, we will very likely lose all of our work.

The moral of the story though, for anyone in doubt about keeping the files, please dont delete them. If it happened to me, it could happen to you.

Message 1 of 35 (871 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Re: WARNING - do NOT delete your Home files.

Feb 23, 2013

A little too late, lol but even without my save files, I still have all my stuff on home, including clods from fossil digs, ryo from edo, and more.

Message 2 of 35 (836 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2680 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Mine are backed up also on a flash drive. I hope I'm wrong in assuming you lost your new items which you bought since the update to the cloud? Or can you get them back?  

Mermaid-KT wrote:

If anyone was in any doubt or considering deleting their Home files as they were no longer required as everything is now on the Sony servers, I highly suggest you leave them where they are. I had a disconnection error and when I tried to sign back into Home it made me upload all my files again. I tried the normal things, but couldnt avoid uploading them again.

Because I kept them, all my apartments were as previous (apart from the changes I made since the 1.75 update), and so were my avatar settings. I thought the damage was going to be quite significant, but I actually benefited slightly out of this as well, so I was very lucky it wasnt all bad, but I would hate for anyone to unecessarily lose alot of hard work that they may have put in decorating.

For ingame things, like tropical points, Edo points etc, this is what happened to me...

Tropical Points - All reverted back to pre 1.75 settings (I lost 2000 points that I had accumulated since the update)

Demon Points - Mine were NOT lost (I was very relieved. I've been battling with a sword all this time trying to get the bikini and am almost there and thought I was about to lose all my points)

Soul Points - All lost and reverted back to pre 1.75 update (not too concerned, cant doing anything with them just yet)

Ryo - All lost and reverted back to pre 1.75 update (this fell in my favor, I had just under 9,700 as saving for the 9,900 teapot, bought that and other things and had about 1,000 left. Thanks to the disconnect I'm back up yo 9,700).

PeakVox Labs - Much to my suprise all my ingredients, and ones I had cooking, were still there.

All bought and won items were not lost.

As you can see, I lucked out quite a lot, and it could have been far worse, but I was pleased I hadnt deleted any Home files so mainly all my decor in my apartments was not lost (fortunately the changes I had made were minimal). It does concern me thought that this will happen again, and further down the road when many of us have made more changes, and decorated new apartments, we will very likely lose all of our work.

The moral of the story though, for anyone in doubt about keeping the files, please dont delete them. If it happened to me, it could happen to you.

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 3 of 35 (832 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4495 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

Kudos for the warning, and I'm glad to hear you had those older files still available, but I just can't for the life of me understand why there are some that still think this update was a good thing.  There are many who have reported losing all their script data, losing not just weeks or even months of progress in some of the Home activities, but even years!

Someone needs to take that kool-aid away from them. Smiley Wink

It's one thing to have to constantly re-organize our item folders, and re-decorate our spaces, but to lose all the time and effort we put into some of those activites saved to our script files is inexcusable.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 4 of 35 (820 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

I had the same thing happen on an alternate account last evening. When I loaded Home again on that account this morning, I had to accept the agreement and the transfer took place once more. I was a bit worried  the first time through as it ended with a message that stated "character settings could not be uploaded" (I saved my main acct settings but not my alternates). Luckily it gave the option of trying to upload the settings once more and it they took effect that time. I just had to make a few changes which I had performed after the initial update.

Message 5 of 35 (798 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4495 posts

Feb 23, 2013

myalana wrote:

I had the same thing happen on an alternate account last evening. When I loaded Home again on that account this morning, I had to accept the agreement and the transfer took place once more. I was a bit worried as the first time through as it ended with a message that stated "character settings could not be uploaded" (I saved my main acct settings but not my alternates). Luckily it gave the option of trying to upload the settings once more and it they took effect that time. I just had to make a few changes which I had performed after the initial update.

Imagine people's reaction if and when this happens a few months from now, or if Home survives a year from now?  It will be like a bad version of Groundhog Day... always reverting back to February 12 (would have been really 'funny' had the update happened on February 2)..

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 6 of 35 (772 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Feb 23, 2013

If you get that message then a file didn't read properly on the home server. You should not accept it and instead retry until you don't get it.

Message 7 of 35 (759 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2781 posts

Feb 23, 2013

LunarEmerald wrote:

If you get that message then a file didn't read properly on the home server. You should not accept it and instead retry until you don't get it.

I didnt get any message. After the disconnect I was signing back in and it asked me to accept the Open Beta TOS again, and then said it was going to upload my files. I stopped it and tried restarting, but no change. I did the normal things, but still no change. I had no choice but re-upload all my files again, I was just lucky where I lost at the Tropical Points, I gained with Ryo (and most importantly my Demon points were still intact). Fortunatley I hadnt deleted any files so the damage was limited, for now atleast.

Message 8 of 35 (739 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Mermaid-KT wrote:

LunarEmerald wrote:

I didnt get any message. After the disconnect I was signing back in and it asked me to accept the Open Beta TOS again, and then said it was going to upload my files. I stopped it and tried restarting, but no change. I did the normal things, but still no change. I had no choice but re-upload all my files again, I was just lucky where I lost at the Tropical Points, I gained with Ryo (and most importantly my Demon points were still intact). Fortunatley I hadnt deleted any files so the damage was limited, for now atleast.

Ditto here. I wish we'd get some official response on issues being addressed.

Message 9 of 35 (721 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2781 posts

Feb 23, 2013

jj_dillon wrote:

A little too late, lol but even without my save files, I still have all my stuff on home, including clods from fossil digs, ryo from edo, and more.

If you still have copies of your files I would recommend you put than back again. Bear in mind my Ryo all reverted back to my old file (fortuntely higher as I'd spent them), but if you dont have a file to upload than its possible your Ryo could drop to 0.

Likewize, from my experience doing the Fossil Guide, the unappraised clods were saved on one of those files, so again, if you do not have it you will lose all unapraised fossils. If you havent got them appraised, it maybe worth it just to make sure you dont lose them if anything happens like it did to me.

Message 10 of 35 (719 Views)
0 Likes