Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Re: WARNING: Pottermore Spaces cripple chat v2

Apr 5, 2013

Give me a break, Nitrate. Anyone smart enough to ferret out Sony's financial records is smart enough to understand why adults shouldn't be able to PM 13 year olds. And you've been around here long enough to know about the security vulnerability with voice chat.

I suppose you'll tell me to go provide links for things now. Google it yourself. Sony won't be releasing any more financials for a couple of weeks.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 21 of 37 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4394 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

\

HearItWow wrote:

Give me a break, Nitrate. Anyone smart enough to ferret out Sony's financial records is smart enough to understand why adults shouldn't be able to PM 13 year olds. And you've been around here long enough to know about the security vulnerability with voice chat.

Then by that logic all private, group, and club chat in Home should be abolished - as Home (NA at least) has always allowed 13 year olds... It's not like the Pottermore spaces have a special lower age limit to allow for younger kids.   But you know that as well - all you do is offer excuse after excuse, but not only does your reasoning fail to support your theory, but you do not even have anything official to back it up.

Not only that, but what does any of this have to do with not being able to send private, group, or club chat to anyone not in Pottermore spaces when you are in them?  Or not notifying you that your message can not be sent or received?   How is this some how making Pottersmore "kid friendly" - which again isn't even an official explanation.  It's just one you and Conrad and a few other apologists have speculated on to make excuses for what is quite clearly an issue that effects a great deal of people that use Home to socialize with friends spread out all over Home.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 22 of 37 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2218 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

Actually, I'm sure that the decision to limit chat came from the people behind Harry Potter. It's to protect their interest, investment and fanbase. But even with that, it is still up to the parent or guardian to look after their own children, whether or not anyone else is looking after each other.

I have no difficulty stopping my swearing when entering a school zone or children's playground.

OMG! You swear?

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 23 of 37 (309 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Private, group and club chat should have been disabled when the security flaw was found, which happens to be about the same time I stopped using a microphone in Home. I call disabling it in one space a step in the right direction.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 24 of 37 (283 Views)
Sackboy
297 posts

Apr 6, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Private, group and club chat should have been disabled when the security flaw was found, which happens to be about the same time I stopped using a microphone in Home. I call disabling it in one space a step in the right direction.

Security flaw? What did I miss?

Message 25 of 37 (266 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29264 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Lissa_Fett wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

I was wondering when I read that too. Get him to tell! Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 37 (264 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3240 posts

Apr 6, 2013

:^/ Bear in mind that the Pottermore spaces on Home are geared as much to appeal to existing Pottermore users who are new to Home as to existing Home denizens who are new to Pottermore.

Newcomers to Home will not feel chafed at the omission of Club Chat and PM's which are features they've never experienced here yet. Also, they'll be able to discover these features when they're ready to visit other Home spaces.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of ways that hidden communication can help seasoned Home troublemakers harrass the newcomers from Pottermore, so disabling such features is an effective strategy to reduce Home's less savory influences. The same is true for the clothing allowed in the space.

Message 27 of 37 (262 Views)
Uncharted Territory
867 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Lissa_Fett wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

I'm not sure if this is what is being referred to but a while back there was a discussion on the forum regarding a problem with group chat. Basically, a troublemaker would invite you to a group chat. Once you were in, they could determine your IP address and then launch a denial of service attack on you. I don't know how accurate that information is though so maybe someone with more knowledge about this subject could chime in.

"...All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you, in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall." -Delenn, Baylon 5

Home-Brainiac-Winner-Ren_Echo.gif

Message 28 of 37 (223 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 6, 2013

Ren_Echo wrote:

Lissa_Fett wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

I'm not sure if this is what is being referred to but a while back there was a discussion on the forum regarding a problem with group chat. Basically, a troublemaker would invite you to a group chat. Once you were in, they could determine your IP address and then launch a denial of service attack on you. I don't know how accurate that information is though so maybe someone with more knowledge about this subject could chime in.

It is called D.D.O.S..

Distributed Denial Of Service attack.

First the IP address of the machine (or user with Playstation Home) is determined.

Generally as is right now, you have to be IN a Group Chat with any person who attempts DDOS.

Using a Jailbroken PS3 with the proper programs and knowledge allows a person to do DDOS in Group OR Club chats within Home.

Also when in private personal spaces where your IP can easily be picked up by those using the proper software.  It seems only in LOCAL in Public spaces has this serious security issue been stopped.  Although some claim they can still do it through LOCAL in public, but that they don't know who they are booting off of Home and PSN.

DDOS is also a Federal offense.

For those that do practice it, keep your fingers crossed that you are not being tracked.

If you are unable to sign into PSN or suddenly get booted off of Home after joining a Group Chat where you don't know everyone in the group, then I suggest that you unplug your modem for at least 1 minute.  Your modem, not your router.  This should reset your IP address and allow you back onto PSN.  If you suspect a DDOS user in a group, take your cell phone camera and take a Screen snapshot of those users in that Group.  You can also PM the HomeForumMods here about suspected DDOS users within Home.  They will appreciate the picture.  Never hurts to have evidence.

Reseting your IP address by unpluging your modem applies to most people (most have a Dynamic IP address).  If you use a Static IP adress (should you really be playing Home while at work?), then you will have to call your ISP (or your companies ISP) and ask them to change your IP address.  Static IP address usually cost more, business uses them for increased reliabilty and speed at the sacrifice of security (where DDOS is an issue).  I suggest that if you run your own business, don't play Home from that office.

Message 29 of 37 (193 Views)
Welcoming Committee
9499 posts

Re: WARNING: Pottermore Spaces cripple chat

Apr 6, 2013
Smiley Very Happy
Support Forums
Message 30 of 37 (177 Views)
0 Likes