Oct 01 2012
By: moby088 First Son 16 posts

Virtual Ethnography (online communities)

[ Edited ]
14 replies 535 views Edited Oct 1, 2012

Hey dudes, I am a creative multimedia college student that is doing a project on virtual online communities, Playstation Home to be more specific. Just want to find out more about this community, the people who are in it, what we do, likes and dislikes, and any opinions for now are welcome. I was on Playstation home a couple of years ago, I thought it was good then but it has changed so much in that time and I cant believe how much it has changed, I think it has become immense. So you could consider me a noob ( please dont hold it against me :-). )

I will at a future date be putting up a link for a survey (and I have permission from the administrators) but before I do that I would appreciate any opinions people have (Good or Bad). Hope to hear back from you all.

Message 1 of 15 (535 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Re: Virtlay Ethnography (online communities)

Oct 1, 2012
You can PM me your survey whenever it's ready Smiley Happy
BTW my ethnicity is Home-ish-olive mixed!

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 2 of 15 (511 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Re: Virtlay Ethnography (online communities)

Oct 1, 2012

Ethnography sounds dirty

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"Happy, happy, birthday! Don't let the name fool ya!"

Message 3 of 15 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1523 posts

Re: Virtual ethnography (study of online communities)

Oct 1, 2012
Well my likes is soccer, video games, and sometimes school also why did you create two threads you know you can edit the title right? And its not on accedent considering ones name a little different just wondering not too be rude
Goodbye home
Message 4 of 15 (468 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1523 posts

Re: Virtual ethnography (study of online communities)

Oct 1, 2012
Also welcome.too the forums Smiley Happy
Goodbye home
Message 5 of 15 (465 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Re: Virtual Ethnography (online communities)

Oct 1, 2012

Ha, yes, im an absolute Noob at this, sorry for posting it 3 times,  Smiley HappyI am still getting used to the forums, thank you for the welcome and the replies, really appreciate them. Will be sending the survey out next week, till then I hope as many people reply as possible,

Whats Playstation Home like? I am only back on it for a few days, so still getting used to it, and its soooo time consuming.  Is it totally random where people wander around by themselves or is there groups within it ??

FIll me in! 

Message 6 of 15 (473 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Socially, Playstation Home is the same as the real world in many aspects. You have individuals who like to be alone and explore areas and play games by themselves, and you have groups of people or friends who like to do things together. You also have your various cliques as you would in real life where people who act the same and wear the same clothing, talk the same way etc... stay together, the basic conformistic social structure. You can even be shunned on Home for not being popular enough. One of the more prevalent social structures on Home is the gang. People can form actual physical clubs there but some take it to a new level and try to virtually fight and intimidate other users and claim turf. You can even be VIP and have access to certain areas that others can not. Overall there are just as many dynamic levels of social interactions or norms and stereotypes as in real life.

Message 7 of 15 (441 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Hey, thank you for the reply, this is exactly the type of answer I was lookin for, really appreciate it dude. From my own experience in Home I tend to find it very difficult to get a conversation going with people, neverthelss I think the experience as a whole a good one.  I found the point you make about the VIP sections interesting also, I would like to know more about this.

I love playing Poker and really enjoyed playing it in Home, but when I lost my chips I soon realised that I if I wanted to continue playing I actually had to buy chips with REAL MONEY.  I would like to know more about this aspect of Home. Do many people actually buy stuff, and if so what do people buy, I have seen some crazy characters actually flying about the place, sometimes in flames, would things like these be the type of things people buy? 

Im not sure if you read my first initial message but its basic premise is that I will be generating a survey and will be posting a link here in the forums, I would really really appreciate it if as many people as possible could answer it. Seeing as I am only on Home a short time I have not set out all of the questuons I want to ask as of yet, but I am hoping to post this survey next week, hopefully Tuesday to be more exact............thanks again for the replies guys :-)))))))))

Message 8 of 15 (401 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 8, 2012

No replies lately, anyway just to make an update I have the questionaire finished and I will be uploading a link to it tomorrow, not sure if I should create a new thread or to just put it here, any suggestions?

Message 9 of 15 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1454 posts

Oct 8, 2012

moby088 wrote:

No replies lately, anyway just to make an update I have the questionaire finished and I will be uploading a link to it tomorrow, not sure if I should create a new thread or to just put it here, any suggestions?

You'd probably get yelled at if you create a new thread.  Post the results here and edit your title:  Virtual Ethnography - Questionaire Results.  Smiley Happy  DG

Posted Image
Message 10 of 15 (350 Views)
0 Likes