PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Re: Upcoming Home Content

[ Edited ]
Aug 5, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I couldn't speak about E3 plans for some time because there was a new and unique layer to that experience this year.  Kristine broke the news about the PS4 app on the 6th on the PlayStation Blog.  At no point could I scoop her and elude to that news prior to it being ready to be shared.  Anyone posting on any PS official channel about Home and E3 prior to that announcement did so without that consideration.

I ask again, Why not direct us and tell us that on a certain date things would be explained? The silence felt like a dodge and you have to agree that is a overall feeling here. We like you, TF (well most) and we understand  better IF we have communication man.

TF, The E3 app may have let others enjoy the experience in a way for themselves but the Home community suffered for it. That was our E3. our community event. You know how it affected us as a community yes?

As noted in my first paragraph, I was not in a position to release any information about this prior to Kristine's blog post.

Also, I understand how it impacted the community, but I hope you can also understand how appealing it is/was to see something that works well, and want to deliver that to a wider audience.

As for the "there was nothing on PS3" point of view, I can understand that as well.  However, this is the path that was taken, and the large majority of gamers who enjoy E3 on their PS3 have traditionally done it through the browser.

As for the opinion that we could have just done both... That's not entirely accurate.  Resources are most definitely not infinite.

I also want to state that I'm not saying this to imply that everyone should agree.  I'm saying it to answer the questions asked.

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 2321 of 2,738 (849 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 5, 2014

Jersquall wrote:

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

The Home event didn't disappear, it just lived in a different space this year.

I do not have a PS4 yet. I did not get any E3 home experience. My bad i guess I needed to buy a PS4. Maybe it was a marketing plan? IDK..

I have a PS4 and I didn't bother with it that way. I wanted it on HOME. It's been a part of Home forever. The only message we can reasonalby assume by it's not being there is that HOME DOESN'T MATTER anymore.

Message 2322 of 2,738 (836 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 5, 2014

Tempest_Fire wrote:

As noted in my first paragraph, I was not in a position to release any information about this prior to Kristine's blog post.

Also, I understand how it impacted the community, but I hope you can also understand how appealing it is/was to see something that works well, and want to deliver that to a wider audience.

As for the "there was nothing on PS3" point of view, I can understand that as well.  However, this is the path that was taken, and the large majority of gamers who enjoy E3 on their PS3 have traditionally done it through the browser.

As for the opinion that we could have just done both... That's not entirely accurate.  Resources are most definitely not infinite.

I also want to state that I'm not saying this to imply that everyone should agree.  I'm saying it to answer the questions asked.

Thank you. Its nice to get some communication going here.

I know you guys have meeting apon meeting on these things. Please, The impact of  these communication issues can be minimized with more communication. Let the others know when you guys meet that we are still here. We need community events much like E3. We might not have a lot of time left and these things will be appreciated. We go back a ways, TF. Not trying to be mean here. Again, thanks.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 2323 of 2,738 (831 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Aug 5, 2014

The feedback I heard in regards to that E3 app is that it was...erm...somewhat lacklustre. Now. I don't own a PS4, and excluding myself and others makes me feel as though Sony really doesn't want my business but rather short-sightedly is focusing mainly on people who already own the next gen console. Do you not see the irony in this? It's rather like advertising Home only to people using Home.

Message 2324 of 2,738 (1,023 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3093 posts

Aug 5, 2014

Tempest_Fire wrote:

*snip*

Wider audience... wider??? Oh, please. You cut off your PS3 users at the knees.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 2325 of 2,738 (1,017 Views)
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Aug 5, 2014
I love it when I get a good conversation going...
I'm also tops at derailing threads. Smiley Wink
Message 2326 of 2,738 (1,011 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
485 posts

Aug 6, 2014

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I couldn't speak about E3 plans for some time because there was a new and unique layer to that experience this year.  Kristine broke the news about the PS4 app on the 6th on the PlayStation Blog.  At no point could I scoop her and elude to that news prior to it being ready to be shared.  Anyone posting on any PS official channel about Home and E3 prior to that announcement did so without that consideration.

This year, 2014, proved to be an opportunity for us to take the learnings of community engagement gathered on Home and apply them to a wider PlayStation audience.  This was seen in the app, and was seen in the theater experiences people were able to enjoy live, in their home towns. Removing the boundaries to E3 has always been a priority for us, and Home has always done that well.

The response here in this forum seems to suggest that E3 not being specifically in Home is evidence of some disinterest by PlayStation to engage the community during E3.  The app and the theater experience includes, but is not exclusive to Home, which is the key.  Taking an experience that many of the Home faithful have enjoyed for years  and making it available, in a unique way, to the greater PlayStation community was a wonderful evolution.

The experience was remarkably similar to the ones seen on Home in years past.  We simply took a lot of what worked and shared it with people who might have otherwise been unable to enjoy it.  The Home event didn't disappear, it just lived in a different space this year.

You know I was actually fine with it being on the PS4 and not on Home. I completely understood that PS3 stuff is going to be phased out as PS4 gains more and more traction. It's what happened to the PS2. And quite frankly, it makes a lot of sense. You guys expend a LOT of resources on making new generations of consoles, you want to attract customers to the newest platforms. Not only do you make more money but you able to make more money while dealing better quality content. It's a win for both consumer who can afford the newest gadget and businesses. And the ones that can't, can simply wait it out until there is more of a market for used consoles for example. You deliver less and less content over the years and months to those holdouts but you still give them stuff because you want to keep them as customers ideally.  I get it, I really do. And as you said there is only so much resources, licensing deals for theaters was probably expensive. And there is also the the consideration of human resources. So I personally understand the "we didn't have the resources," bit as well.

What I don't undrestand or apperciate is when my intelligence is insulted. PS4 sales just surpassed 7 million in April. I know that number is accurate because it comes straight from the playstation website. In November 2013 there were more than 80 million people who had purchased a PS3. In what universe is putting it on a platform that has less people a wider audience? You had no way to no what attendance comparisons would be like since this was the first year you did it this way.  The people who saw it in theater would do so irregardless of which platform you put it on, PS4 or PS3 when you could only afford to do one or the other. So They don't count. There is no way that there have already been more PS4 sales since April than all the people who bought PS3 combined. And with those numbers, a ton of people own a PS3 but haven't made the switch to the PS4 yet. Understandble it's new tech. That's why we're still in the phase where a lot of AAA games are being made for both platforms. Seeing this post actually served to give me less confidence in your product as a consumer. 

And let's face it you didn't just cut out the homesters. You made E3 a PS4 experience.

Message 2327 of 2,738 (860 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Aug 7, 2014
Then I am wondering, if they are pushing t
he ps4 so hardcore (naturally) are they planning to develop a home on it? Why wouldn't they when half of the focus of the ps4 is community-based interaction.
Message 2328 of 2,738 (691 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Aug 7, 2014
But of all 80 million, how many of them still visit home with enough regularity to justify the cost in resources. I am a home fan, have been for years, but my home habits range from 3 times last week to maybe once in the next 3 months. Only SOE knows how many people are online at any given time. Honestly of the 80 million, I fear the numbers are extremely low. That would explain why we have heard no mention of a home on the ps4, sadly.
Message 2329 of 2,738 (680 Views)
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 12, 2014

Was wondering when dream adventure is coming out. also my husband wants to suggest a vegas place. **personal info omitted**. thank u

editted out personal information -FluffyKitty_0256

Message 2330 of 2,738 (568 Views)
0 Likes