Highlighted
May 09 2007
By: ShadowPelican Fender Bender 3082 posts

Torrent-Type file transfer in Home

2 replies 29 views Edited May 9, 2007
I think I found a thread relating to this, but i'm not sure if it that's what they're talking about so I'm starting a new one:

I think it would be cool if once Home is released, Sony starts using a Torrent-type of downloading system.  They would have the torrent download from the Store and then the download would be taken from all the users that are online who have already downloaded the file.  For example, 5 people download a trailer and then they "seed" it to the next downloader in smaller packages.  This would make downloads REALLY fast and relieve Sony's servers quite abit. 
Message 1 of 3 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3082 posts

Re: Torrent-Type file transfer in Home

May 10, 2007
Bumping my own thread.
Message 2 of 3 (29 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1072 posts

Re: Torrent-Type file transfer in Home

May 10, 2007
It's been announced that Sony is apparently thinking of doing this.  I personally think it will be a good thing for Sony to do since it'll save them in bandwidth charges.  However, it also brings in a lot of problems the users may not otherwise have.  Blizzard uses a Torrent system to distribute World of Warcraft and its patches and since they began doing so, there's always been a lot of people who have had a lot of problem with it, either due to their ISP or their own routers/firewall.

Could open a nasty can of worms, but overall I think it's a good idea.

(PSN: CraigHwk)
Message 3 of 3 (29 Views)
0 Likes