Wastelander
717 posts

Re: !!!To sony and to true gap members only!!!

May 4, 2007
First of all I did not get selected (yet). But I am new to GAP and have only been a PSU member since 2005. That still does not make me a said 'noob'. I have been playing video games since the first take home afterburner. I have a +2:1 kill-death ratio in RFOM. I own more than 20 games and 3 systems. The selection for the BETA was random because there is no way to tell what a person is like from a little forum. Sony does not have the time to hand select 15,000 people. I am not giving up hope because there is no way in hell that 15,000 people have been selected... The only way this could be true is if that number included America and the rest of the world.
Message 41 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2493 posts

May 4, 2007

Tideas wrote:
you elitist folks needs to get over yourself.  You didn't get in.  boo hoo.  We're al gonna get it.  If the same people are doing the same thing, no new ideas are ever gonna get suggested.

Questioning Sony's selection policy doesn't qualify as being "elitist". The fact that all of the forum moderators don't get into all these beta tests here is one sign that they need to change the way things are done. Showing priority over others may seem unfair in some ways, but how hard would it be to go through the small list of mods and manually invite those who take the time to police the forums (assuming they own the system and would like to participate)? People have criticized the poor way that they select GAP members and beta testers for years, but it hasn't been enough complaining for anyone at the company to actually care. Changing things up will likely result in even more disappointment, but at least things would be done somewhat more fairly. I would have liked to participate in the Home beta because it seems to be one of the few beta tests conducted here where the purpose is more than just a simple stress test. Normally, they accept a few thousand people, send them an older build of the game where most of the bugs are already fixed in a newer build, and then try to get as many people to log on as possible to test the load on the servers. When a beta starts and ends very close to the game's release date this is usually the purpose. Home, on the other hand, is quite a ways off.

Message Edited by PikkonX on 05-04-2007 07:10 AM

Free userbarsFree userbars
Message 42 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1373 posts

May 4, 2007
All i have to say to every dissapointed person here is

1- Stop crying
2- Be mature and don't flame other just because you don't have Home
3- Wait for the other wave of tester.

Message 43 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

May 4, 2007
Man, there are some cry babies.  I am a G.A.P. memeber and did not get selected but hey thats life.  Deal with it and move on.

Message Edited by psx236923 on 05-04-2007 04:53 AM
Maximus
Message 44 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

May 4, 2007
I have been a member of the GAP for a long time I have the Playstation Underground discs still. Not sure when they started up the GAP.
Message 45 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

May 4, 2007
Same frustration for me.
Message 46 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4910 posts

May 4, 2007
question:
you want feedback on a user interface from a random sampling of end users, how do you choose them?

Answer:
Randomly. Take a database of users, add a random number geneerator and a counter. 15,000 users needed?
Ok, draw 17,500 names to account for incorrect info filled out.
Message 47 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

May 4, 2007

i've been a psu member for 4 years and still no gap invite. and i meet all the requirements!

Message 48 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

May 4, 2007
I've been a member of GAP for a few years now, and I'm not too beat up about not getting picked for the home beta, I can wait for the final product in fall.

guitoorbenchi's Gamercard
Message 49 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3082 posts

May 4, 2007

m1lkb0ne wrote:

NO FEAR!! wrote:

To me personaly beta testing was not about me, it was about doing my part to make games better for my fellow gamers.

I just wanted to re-iterate that.

I was sorry to see so many people freaking about this while the download was rolling out, and now I'm sorry to see them take being passed over personally.  The purpose of beta testing is not to honor the people selected, and while the process is interesting, it's not always entertaining.  Basically, the advantage that beta testers have is that some of their curiosity about a new product gets satisfied before it hits the market.  I don't know the specifics about the Home beta trial, but I've been in a beta which tested only the online features of a game and nothing else.  So the test software was itself kinda gimped.  It's possible that the present Home download also has some anticipated features missing.  Again, I don't know that for sure, but it's a possibility.

I don't know the criteria SCEE used for deciding who got the d/l.  Generally GAP members do get preference for beta tests, so it's no surprise that most of those who have said they got the d/l have also said they're on the GAP.  Also, Sony had to send out more invites than they had slots available for testing, because not everyone they might want to invite would be able to participate.  (Some people might be too busy, on vacation, away from their console for the test period, or just not want to bother with buggy software.)  So it was know from the start that not everyone invited would get in; in fact the invite email said as much.

It's just possible that more n00b-ish people were just the sort they were looking to test with.  It's often the case that software designers specifically want to know if relatively inexperienced people will find a user interface natural and easy to use.  And Home is, pretty much, an elaborate kind of user interface for online game lobbies.  (I know, it's more than that as well, but it's largely Sony's answer to Xbox Live.)  So that may be why more "senior" GAP members didn't get in this time.

So please, ppl, don't look upon not being selected as a judgment on your worthiness as a gamer or your loyalty to Sony.  I'm, personally, quite critical of Sony for many reasons, and am not a fanboy of any system, and I think they could have handled this better by keeping people better informed, but for the most part this is just how beta tests work.  (I would recommend that Sony get itself a semi-official community "liason officer" like M$'s Major Nelson to help ppl better understand what's going on.)

Thanks for this post.  I was feeling really down about this whole "not accepted to Home" deal, but after reading your post, I feel alot better because it rings very true.  There is no point of beta testing with VERY experienced gamers because they would already know how to navigate a user interface regardless of how difficult it was to use.  A less experienced gamer would be a better test subject to evaluate whether the interface is effective or not.

Personally, I wanted to be in Home beta just to satisfy my curiosity, yes.  I guess getting the full version later will be better in the long run because I will see the product at its finest. 

I completely agree with you in terms of how Sony handled this whole situation.  If they just blatantly told me that I was not accepted, at least I would have had some kind of closure and would be able to accept it easier.  But for them to send me an invitation and just NEVER GET BACK TO ME, really makes me feel like I've been left in the dark.

Take this analogy into consideration:  A really hot girl you out for coffee, and you say yes.  She says she MAY date you long term, and you say ok.  Then she starts seeing some other guys and NEVER gets back to you.  NEVER.  And you can't even ask her about it cause she's a Sony Rep. LOL That's what it feels like. 

I've come to the point where I have accepted my rejection, but I just wanted to say thanks for this post because it helped alot.  Sounds dumb, but whatever.
Message 50 of 102 (6 Views)
0 Likes