Highlighted
Dec 19 2008
By: OddSix Last Guardian 12198 posts

Tired of getting banned?

19 replies 6 views Edited Dec 19, 2008

So as I usually do from time to time (not enough these days) is sift through some of the rules around here, sometimes I run into things that always help out (and tend to calm me down a bit) and other times I don't remember what it is to be a Home user and a Forum user, its times like these that make me look back to the roots to what I used to be.

I have seen some people question why they were banned...  Why they were banned doesn't matter to me, but how can they/you avoid it?  Well I boiled down some facts instead of guiding you to a butt load of rules that will give you more of a headache then they will open you mind lol.

As always I find the following tips as the best guide for conduct here and in Home.

And I hope you all can understand these few basic things.

They were taken from the New User Guide, here in the forums but the same applies in Home as well.

3.0 Introduction to Netiquette

What is this "netiquette" I keep hearing about? Well, netiquette is just what it sounds like: "network etiquette". The way you behave in a public forum, the way you treat others in a chat room, the way you act and the way you carry yourself while online. Quite simply, it is all about behaving properly online. Netiquette is no different than real life etiquette and common courtesy. When participating in an online chat or in a forums conversation, a little common sense goes a long way.

There are a lot of netiquette articles online for you to peruse, some more advanced than others. This is just a basic overview. If you are new to the Internet, or more specifically forums and chats, then this is for you. If you're a bit of a net veteran, then well... read it any way! You might pick up something you didn't know before. What this document will aim to do is give you a brief introduction to the best ways to go about conducting yourself online, how to become involved in the best possible way and above all else keep things fun and interesting.

Everyone's Human

Respect
Everyone's human. Respect and treat others in the same manner that you'd like to be treated. People who frequent a community and gain ranks based upon their experience on the forums demand a certain amount of respect. They've been there for quite some time; they know their stuff and are an integral part of the community. "Insulting the elders" does not go over well. Treat them with respect and they will show you the same courtesy in return. This is not to say that members with higher ranks have special privileges. All members are held to the same rules and policies of the community.

Mistakes
Everyone makes mistakes. People post things on a forum or a chat that may be inaccurate, or said in the heat of the moment. Be forgiving when it comes to these mistakes. Flaming a person or laughing at them doesn't do anything except anger someone else; it's not productive. The day will come when you make the same mistake. It will pay off in the long haul to be polite and go easy on the mistakes others make.

Opinion
Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.

Privacy
Everyone has the right to privacy. Posting personal information about another member in a public forum is completely inappropriate. Private issues between two people should be left as that, private. Discussion of these types of things should be taken to the instant messenger or somewhere else that is not viewable by the public.

I really hope that this message gets to the right people, I hate to see Home become empty because there are people getting banned back to back when it could of been prevented by knowing these few things.

Please, being banned is not cool...  I know, so take it from me...  These tips work, hands down are the best things to know around here and in Home.

Message Edited by OddSix on 12-18-2008 06:28 PM
Photobucket
Message 5 of 20 (6 Views)
I Only Post Everything
969 posts

Re: Getting banned...

Dec 19, 2008
Nice thread
Message 1 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
803 posts

Dec 19, 2008
NiceSmiley Happy
Photobucket

Message 2 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Dec 19, 2008

Nice thread.....

I think the ban system is too easy to report people its like saying if you have a big group of friends you can just go around home and just report people at random just to mess with them..... I have a friend that got banned for no reason when he call Sony about it they said there was no reason given.

How will we avoid that?

Message Edited by isuckatdisgame on 12-18-2008 04:20 PM
Isn't HOME community based not individual based? LJK��2008

Message 3 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
437 posts

Dec 19, 2008

OddSix wrote:

So as I usually do from time to time (not enough these days) is sift through some of the rules around here, sometimes I run into things that always help out (and tend to calm me down a bit) and other times I don't remember what it is to be a Home user and a Forum user, its times like these that make me look back to the roots to what I used to be.

I have seen some people question why they were banned...  Why they were banned doesn't matter to me, but how can they/you avoid it?  Well I boiled down some facts instead of guiding you to a butt load of rules that will give you more of a headache then they will open you mind lol.

As always I find the following tips as the best guide for conduct here and in Home.

And I hope you all can understand these few basic things.

They were taken from the New User Guide, here in the forums but the same applies in Home as well.

3.0 Introduction to Netiquette

What is this "netiquette" I keep hearing about? Well, netiquette is just what it sounds like: "network etiquette". The way you behave in a public forum, the way you treat others in a chat room, the way you act and the way you carry yourself while online. Quite simply, it is all about behaving properly online. Netiquette is no different than real life etiquette and common courtesy. When participating in an online chat or in a forums conversation, a little common sense goes a long way.

There are a lot of netiquette articles online for you to peruse, some more advanced than others. This is just a basic overview. If you are new to the Internet, or more specifically forums and chats, then this is for you. If you're a bit of a net veteran, then well... read it any way! You might pick up something you didn't know before. What this document will aim to do is give you a brief introduction to the best ways to go about conducting yourself online, how to become involved in the best possible way and above all else keep things fun and interesting.

Everyone's Human

Respect
Everyone's human. Respect and treat others in the same manner that you'd like to be treated. People who frequent a community and gain ranks based upon their experience on the forums demand a certain amount of respect. They've been there for quite some time; they know their stuff and are an integral part of the community. "Insulting the elders" does not go over well. Treat them with respect and they will show you the same courtesy in return. This is not to say that members with higher ranks have special privileges. All members are held to the same rules and policies of the community.

Mistakes
Everyone makes mistakes. People post things on a forum or a chat that may be inaccurate, or said in the heat of the moment. Be forgiving when it comes to these mistakes. Flaming a person or laughing at them doesn't do anything except anger someone else; it's not productive. The day will come when you make the same mistake. It will pay off in the long haul to be polite and go easy on the mistakes others make.

Opinion
Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.

Privacy
Everyone has the right to privacy. Posting personal information about another member in a public forum is completely inappropriate. Private issues between two people should be left as that, private. Discussion of these types of things should be taken to the instant messenger or somewhere else that is not viewable by the public.

I really hope that this message gets to the right people, I hate to see Home become empty because there are people getting banned back to back when it could of been prevented by knowing these few things.

Please, being banned is not cool...  I know, so take it from me...  These tips work, hands down are the best things to know around here and in Home.

yea my friend was baned for no reason once

no sig for you
Message 4 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12198 posts

Dec 19, 2008

Sorry to hear that Scottie, but these are basic and should only be seen and used as a reference.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
593 posts

Dec 19, 2008
Great post OP, and I've had discussions with people who have been banned. There is always a reason, they're usually just too ashamed to admit it.
Proud Home Beta Tester......Proud Team Omega Member

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Dec 19, 2008
To the OP : good job gently reminding us how we can keep ourselves in check. A lot of us can stand to review these suggestions and use them. It's kinda like drinkin' a can of AK-RITE. I kudoed you for your post. Thanks.
 photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 8 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12198 posts

Dec 19, 2008

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:
To the OP : good job gently reminding us how we can keep ourselves in check. A lot of us can stand to review these suggestions and use them. It's kinda like drinkin' a can of AK-RITE. I kudoed you for your post. Thanks.

Thanks for your support, I look forward to supporting you in return.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Re: Tired of getting banned?

Dec 19, 2008

Excellent post OddSix. Maybe Sony could post this etiquette in a message when you log onto Home. It's great to see it here but not everyone that gets on Home comes to this board. Kudos to you for trying to make a difference.

Message 10 of 20 (6 Views)
0 Likes