Uncharted Territory
1023 posts

Re: [Theory] 2014 is PS Home's final year

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2014

To add to that, Sony has been cutting/shutting down alot of stuff lately. Not really game related, but here's a few stuff Sony has been doing lately.

Sony Closing 20 Retail Stores, Laying Off 1,000 Workers

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/26/sony-closing-20-retail-stores-laying-off-1000-workers

Sony is closing the Reader Store, content to be available via Kobo

http://www.zdnet.com/sony-is-closing-the-reader-store-content-to-be-available-via-kobo-7000026065/

Sony to sell PC business, reform TV arm, layoff 5,000 employees

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/06/sony-to-sell-pc-business-reform-tv-arm-layoff-5-000-employees/

Sony's Hirai Plans $250 Million in Entertainment Cuts

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/sony-s-hirai-makes-case-for-keeping-entertainment-units-int...

There's probably more beyond this, but it just gets depressing, so I'll just stop with this. This doesn't really tell Home's future, but it does state Sony current status, and pretty much they have been cutting alot of their assetts. Will Home be included? We'll have to see, but I won't be surprise if it does.

Message 61 of 88 (659 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

Feb 28, 2014

@HearItWow 

Everything I listed is a valid complaint, because without giving customers what they want, it gives them little incentive to come back and spend money. It's the simplest rule of business. The problems I listed caused many people to leave Home or spend very little time and money on it.

And also, the terrible item management and loading times, and their apparent refusal to fix it, is a valid concern from any point of view.

Message 62 of 88 (599 Views)
Fender Bender
3155 posts

Feb 28, 2014

HearItWow wrote:

Ann beat me to it. Home was conceived/developed initially on the PS2, then ported to the PS3. It's old tech, but it still runs quite well. That it lasted as long as it has is impressive, but most of the flaws that people complain about are existential. They cannot be fixed without a ground-up rewrite of the code, which will not happen on the PS3 at this point.

As far as what I know about Home development, I used to talk to developers and one Home manager quite a bit. I've even had something that I designed published in Home, and followed that process through several setbacks and delays. I don't know the precise details of every step, but I understand in broad terms how the process works, how things get developed and how they get published.

As a rule in the past, there have been two major reasons for light content updates from a developer:

1. The developer is working on something big, like Mercia.

2. There is a core update coming, and developers are creating things to take advantage of it.

We haven't had a core update that significantly changes Home's capabilities in a while; however, it's possible that they're looking to patch some exploits and may have asked developers to hold off on certain types of items.

We also haven't had any announcements of anything big since Digital Leisure's western space. Development of major games and spaces takes six months to a year, and developers generally want to tease content to keep people interested. Since the September 2013 article on the EU Blog, we haven't heard of any major initiatives from Home's developers.

This sends some pretty strong signals that Home devs are doing other things. Lockwood is developing Avakin. O-Two is focused on mobile games. Granzella is working on a Vita title. nDreams is making a PS4 game. These are small studios, and if they're directing resources away from Home, that says a lot about Home's future.

As I said many times in the past, the time to start thinking about Home shutting down is the time when content starts to dwindle. That's 2014 so far.

point taken and yes I knew that it was an idea on the ps2 and was origionaly going to be called "The Hub" (Black Monday the getaway or something like that) think i made a reply to the effect of this someplace! but as far as it being a ps2 game i am not sure of because not all ps3s were able to play ps2 games when they first launched and all of the retail versions of the PS3 cant play ps2 games save the HD versions off the store! meaning I cant stick good ol Metal Gear Solid 3 in my ps3 and expect it to work! thats why I got the Legacy and HD versions of the game! 

I do like some of you points and arguments how ever im guessing we are looking at the whole Home problem from to differnt angles!

But I will agree with you on the fact that it is time to start thinking about shuting down in fact I been thinking of this since the D5021 errors a while back!

original.gif

Honestly it wasn't suggestive at all it was quite blatantI
Message 63 of 88 (583 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2014

Tarazuma trashed:

Disclaimer: this is a very long post. If you aren't going to read it, please don't bother posting.

I typed this up yesterday but wanted to wait to see what today's update was. The Star Trek stuff got my, and many others, hopes up, only to be dashed at the last minute. I'm sure Flashman Studios and CBS Consumer Products are thrilled that Sony is needlessly delaying their content that people are willing to pay good money for.

I, and I'm sure many others, are sick and tired of the pitiful updates over the past 2 months. Unless we see a HUGE improvement in March, with something to actually DO besides challenges, I am personally 100% convinced this is PS Home's last year. I'd like to know what others thoughts are on this, since by this point, it's hard argue that Home still has potential to turn around.

It seems to me like they are making it as boring and painful as possible so that everyone WANTS to quit, thus they have a justifiable reason to shut down PS home without worrying about losing what revenue they could gain in the mean time.

It's not just the lack of good store content, it's everything.

-They aren't even ATTEMPTING to make a deal or work something out to import all the SCEJ and SCEE clothes and furniture, including the rest of the Toylogic furniture and LMOs that are in EU.

-They REFUSE to bring back old first party items, spaces and events (sorry, but you're going to hear it for the millionth time: CP needs to return)

-They patch stuff like private server and other harmless things that people enjoyed and caused them to WANT to use home more, but yet....

-Freezers run rampant despite the damage it can cause to hard drives, and people can just ISE gifter items for free, devaluing them and hurting developer sales. Nothing has been done about either. 

-As evidenced by today with the new Star Trek stuff, content is STILL being delayed. This is obviously a terrible business move as it just drives people away. It doesn't get them to buy old stuff or sales, if that's the strategy.

-Our inventory management and loading times are obscene, and absolutely NOTHING is being done about it, not even the ability to delete items which has been requested over, I don't know, at LEAST the past 3 years.

I'd like to point out that this isn't all baseless speculation. Take a look at this post right here. If that doesn't convince you PS Home is on it's last legs and no one in charge cares, nothing will. (At the time of writing, that post didn't even get a single sycophantic kudo)

There is no "big break" coming. There isn't some amazing miracle space or event that will save PSH. Those moronic fools O-two/peakvox were our only chance of salvation, and they have abandoned PSHome, judging by their twitter posts. 

Sure, many people would just ISE the peakvox monster and upgraded labs rewards. But they'd still make a decent profit from me and the other "whales" of home who don't use ISE and prefer to earn the rewards themselves, purchasing upgrades to do so. It's better to make SOME profit then NONE at all.

O-two really has no reason to quit Home, other then the fact that they are small-minded IDIOTS with the business sense of  a brain-dead paramecium. I won't be purchasing any of their stupid games, and I'm encouraging others not to do so either. (I'm telling all my non-Home friends as well)

Anyways, this is my prediction of how the rest of the year will play out:

Each update week will consist of the following: x7 will have Billabong & Element reskins, Veemee LMOs, and random LKWD clothes/LMOs. On a "good" week, something nice from Ndreams such as the chair LMOs and stately homes.

The normal store will be updated with nothing outside of KOVOK and whatever was in x7 last week. Of course, the various gifters will also be updated periodically.

Any "events" will be nothing more then fetch quests or simple tasks that are easily completed in less then a half-hour, and of course seasonal Acorn Park.

I also predict there will be no new features added to Home, inventory management will never be updated, and Playstation Home in NA/EU will cease content updates with the final yearly update on December 17, 2014. This is why all devs have invested in other projects besides Home. 

Again, this is all (educated) theory, but just mark my words.

So RIP Playstation Home, 2008-2014. I was only here since March 2011 and missed the best events. It's a shame that just as PS Home evolved and became more advanced and awesome then ever, people left for gang bangin' (GTAV) or an unpaid second job (FF14), and all the awesome events and support from previous years stopped.

Btw, I'm not quitting Home or anything. I'll still be on here until the updates stop all together. But I've been spending very little money (I have no choice as there's nothing to buy) and I've given up even the last shred of hope I had for PS Home's revival.

But I also won't be spending as much time on here, other then to chat with close friends. And as much as I hate Nintendo, I hate what Sony is doing to Home more. PS4 and XBONE aren't even considerations for me, so looks like I'll be giving my business to Nintendo real soon.

:^/ Tara, I'm going to address the bits I highlighted above:

• Just because you and I aren't told the reasons for the delays doesn't mean the delay was meaningless.

• I've never been able to reconcile the notion that Sony desires to shut down Home with the notion that Sony doesn't want the revenue from Home to decrease, but apparently it's a popular contention on the board. Could you enlighten me on that?

• Flooding the NA market in one weekly update with the entire years' accumulation of back inventory from Japan and Asia would undercut Sony's third party business partners in a huge way. Don't kid yourself that sales of other fare would be unaffected.

• Central Plaza's removal was Sony responding to social pressure from Home's regulars. People complained that CP was boring, that they wanted something fresh and new. So, at great expense, Sony made the change, but the complaints did not decrease. They just changed directions.

Aesop put it best: "One cannot please everyone, and one shouldn't try." Sony learned from that mistake. Sony may see restoring Central Plaza as repeating that mistake.

• You've referred to O-Two as "moronic fools" and "small minded idiots with the business sense of a brain-dead paramecium" in the same post in which you're upset that they aren't doing what you want them to. Is it your plan to abuse them into submission? 'cause I've never seen that work in the past.

• As for Tempest_Fire's response in the thread that you linked, one could interpret "at this time" to mean that whatever plans there may be for a New Home, they're being kept under wraps. Let's consider why Sony may choose to do that.

When Home was still in development years ago, Sony's PR department couldn't shut up about it. Every fantastical stray thought was shared, such as the technologically feasible possibility to stream video and music to our friends in our personal spaces, or the trophy rooms with 3D models for each trophy earned in a game, and so on. This was the ultimate inclusion. The public couldn't ask for better access to the behind-the-scenes stuff. Everything was being shared even as it was being thought up.

However, some of these possibilities, while technically feasible, proved impractical for other reasons. The 3D trophy models would have to be created by each game's developer, which would increase their expense producing their games. Streaming media would be too prone to piracy, or sharing across International borders without license from the copyright holders, etc. That is, non-technical issues impeded the technology.

But the biggest problem was public perception. Today's generation of youth see themselves as entitled to everything that advertisers are able to make them desire. When some of Home's more fantastic potentials proved unworkable in practice, the public tore into Sony like a lover scorned. Sony was branded a liar and a cheat, a con-artist who'd stolen Home-goers' wallets and betrayed their hearts.

:^/ Soooo, this time around, Sony's keeping mum about any plans they have. "nothing to share at this time" strongly implies that there will be something to share later. They're just retaining the freedom to change the details of this work in progress without public scrutiny this time around. That way, no one will scream about promises being broken. After all, how could one break a promise that he hadn't made in the first place?

Personally, I'm guardedly optimistic about future plans.

Message 64 of 88 (560 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

Feb 28, 2014

Danger_Dad wrote:

- Just because you and I aren't told the reasons for the delays doesn't mean the delay was meaningless.

&bull: I've never been able to reconcile the notion that Sony desires to shut down Home with the notion that Sony doesn't want the revenue from Home to decrease, but apparently it's a popular contention on the board. Could you enlighten me on that?

&bull: Flooding the NA market in one weekly update with the entire years' accumulation of back inventory from Japan and Asia would undercut Sony's third party business partners in a huge way. Don't kid yourself that sales of other fare would be unaffected.

&bull: Central Plaza's removal was Sony responding to social pressure from Home's regulars. People complained that CP was boring, that they wanted something fresh and new. So, at great expense, Sony made the change, but the complaints did not decrease. They just changed directions.

Aesop put it best: "One cannot please everyone, and one shouldn't try." Sony learned from that mistake. Sony may see restoring Central Plaza as repeating that mistake.

:^/ Soooo, this time around, Sony's keeping mum about any plans they have. "nothing to share at this time" strongly implies that there will be something to share later. They're just retaining the freedom to change the details of this work in progress without public scrutiny this time around. That way, no one will scream about promises being broken. After all, how could one break a promise that he hadn't made in the first place?

1. There could be no possible merit behind it in this case. A lot of people were looking forward to those as the only items worth buying in this content drought. It's not something like a public space, game, gift machine or something that could have technical bugs. It was freaking CLOTHES. Obviously, the reason was some kind of warped "business" decision.

2. Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you said there... 

3. You know, I already adressed this in another topic the first time you said it. Are you really going to debate this point with me? As of right now, people aren't buying ANYTHING, or very little, from any devs. In a drought, you need lots of rain. If they release those old items, people will be buying SOMETHING. Buying something contributes to Home as a whole.

Plus you act like it's a huge amount of items, it's really not.Then they could do the full outfits one week, seperates another, furniture after that, ect. I never said they had to release every single item in one update. Plus we still don't have some Toylogic furniture and LMOs EU got last autumn, despite having Toylogic items in NA now.

And on top of that, what about when Sony regularly released first party content weekly here? It certainly didn't seem like the items were "undercutting 3rd party dev's sales". Besides not EVERYONE wants the SCEJ kimonos and fairy outfits, just like not everyone wants reskins and boring LMOs each week. A large variety of items each week only helps overall Home sales, as opposed to these threadbare updates that just drive people away.

4. Bringing back CP will not HURT Home in any way. It only stands to help. I am indifferent to CP, but it's better then the Hub, and a lot of people loved CP. There would be an influx of traffic there, you can't deny that. It could also potentially help to attract veteran users who left home to come back and check it out for old time's sake, and perhaps get hooked on Home again. 

Sony is obviously too thick headed to think of these things or listen to the people suggesting them, as also evidenced by them not bringing back the Pier Park 2013 Valentine's event despite a request thread for it that was well recieved.

5. If you really believe that the reason we keep getting generic responses about the biggest issues of Home is because they are trying to "keep a big update under wraps", I feel sorry for you. Obviously, I have no proof of it, but based on everything it seems like they aren't ever going to adress major issues such as load time and inventory management. 

The biggest indicator is that the monthly suggestion thread states it's no longer for "functionality updates"..meaning they no longer care what functionality people want on Home.

Message 65 of 88 (551 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
396 posts

Feb 28, 2014
You could always play Home Tycoon Smiley Very Happy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you play LBP2? If so, could you take the time to check out my levels?
Check out my LBP.ME
Message 66 of 88 (525 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 28, 2014

Ghost_12985, what great post. I agree 100% convinced this is Home's final year too,  

Message 67 of 88 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

Feb 28, 2014

Danger_Dad wrote:

• Just because you and I aren't told the reasons for the delays doesn't mean the delay was meaningless.

• I've never been able to reconcile the notion that Sony desires to shut down Home with the notion that Sony doesn't want the revenue from Home to decrease, but apparently it's a popular contention on the board. Could you enlighten me on that?

• Flooding the NA market in one weekly update with the entire years' accumulation of back inventory from Japan and Asia would undercut Sony's third party business partners in a huge way. Don't kid yourself that sales of other fare would be unaffected.

• Central Plaza's removal was Sony responding to social pressure from Home's regulars. People complained that CP was boring, that they wanted something fresh and new. So, at great expense, Sony made the change, but the complaints did not decrease. They just changed directions.

• You've referred to O-Two as "moronic fools" and "small minded idiots with the business sense of a brain-dead paramecium" in the same post in which you're upset that they aren't doing what you want them to. Is it your plan to abuse them into submission? 'cause I've never seen that work in the past.

• As for Tempest_Fire's response in the thread that you linked, one could interpret "at this time" to mean that whatever plans there may be for a New Home, they're being kept under wraps. Let's consider why Sony may choose to do that.

When Home was still in development years ago, Sony's PR department couldn't shut up about it. Every fantastical stray thought was shared, such as the technologically feasible possibility to stream video and music to our friends in our personal spaces, or the trophy rooms with 3D models for each trophy earned in a game, and so on. This was the ultimate inclusion. The public couldn't ask for better access to the behind-the-scenes stuff. Everything was being shared even as it was being thought up.

However, some of these possibilities, while technically feasible, proved impractical for other reasons. The 3D trophy models would have to be created by each game's developer, which would increase their expense producing their games. Streaming media would be too prone to piracy, or sharing across International borders without license from the copyright holders, etc. That is, non-technical issues impeded the technology.

But the biggest problem was public perception. Today's generation of youth see themselves as entitled to everything that advertisers are able to make them desire. When some of Home's more fantastic potentials proved unworkable in practice, the public tore into Sony like a lover scorned. Sony was branded a liar and a cheat, a con-artist who'd stolen Home-goers' hearts and betrayed their hearts.

After all my years on this forum, this is the smartest opinion I've ever read about this particular subject. Especially that Aesop thing.. Brilliant.

Message 68 of 88 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 28, 2014

If you look back at time home been around and ask self what was the year you thought home at best. I say after the outage a lot people left home because they were keep in dark about the whole thing and left looking for answers.  A lot us turn to net to find answer and find out the reason be hide it. Most recent a lot people want to know about home on PS4 and once again we were keep in dark about it. To me and to many my friends see home was good thing in early days and now has become something sony really doesn’t really care about. I’m a gamer and love to play games and times I like to chat about this and what home brought a way for meeting new people. But then home became not about a way to socialise it became about making money and not giving much back.

I think 2013 is good example that sony let go of home and hand it over to the third party’s developers and with this we saw a increases games making us pay to play and when faze pass or game get broken these developers don’t do anything to fix them because it might mean they have spent little coin to fix em. Other think witch not fair is paying for Animation and having to pay for PS plus so we get able to select custom colours and let alone X7. This is all about making extra coin from people pocket. I honestly feel for people who join home because hassle and bullyed and pick on if you wear free items. I use love coming from school meeting up with my friends and have fun on home talking about stuff were people would respect you even if wearing a free stuff.  

Home now full people hacking get items or freezing people and Sony dose nothing to fix it because let face it sony doesn’t care anymore.  I see guides been out right rude to new people thinking there gods on home and be honesty that very sad. In past families might would brought drama but you could easy avoid it if want. I think people on home who sit complain about like this are blind to fact what going around them and wishing it wasn’t true. I really know if media saw stuff on home that there be pubic cry that sony dose nothing to protect the people on it.      

Message 69 of 88 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13187 posts

Feb 28, 2014

Danger_Dad wrote:

Tarazuma trashed:

Disclaimer: this is a very long post. If you aren't going to read it, please don't bother posting.

But the biggest problem was public perception. Today's generation of youth see themselves as entitled to everything that advertisers are able to make them desire. When some of Home's more fantastic potentials proved unworkable in practice, the public tore into Sony like a lover scorned. Sony was branded a liar and a cheat, a con-artist who'd stolen Home-goers' wallets and betrayed their hearts.

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 70 of 88 (448 Views)