Nov 08 2013
By: darkan12-nl Survivor 1630 posts

The story of PlayStation Home on EuroGamer

31 replies 618 views Edited Nov 8, 2013

For many PlayStation 3 owners, their relationship with Home has been brief. They fired up the virtual world platform around the time of its public launch in late 2008, noticed a general lack of things to do, and went back to playing LittleBigPlanet.

Many never returned. For these people, Home has been little more than a XMB icon that they can't get rid of.

It's easy to forget that PlayStation Home was once a source of considerable industry excitement. Phil Harrison - then the head of Sony's Worldwide Studios - unveiled the platform at GDC 2007 to an enthusiastic crowd, demonstrating gaming, social, and media features unlike anything that had gone before. Users would be able to share their music and video with others via the hi-fi and TV systems in their virtual apartments; a Hall of Fame would enable PS3 owners to showcase 3D trophies in curated virtual trophy rooms; and a game launching system would let groups of players hop seamlessly from any Home space into a multiplayer session of their favourite game.

But Home's origins go back further than the 2007 Game Developers Conference. It began life back in the early 2000's, when development of The Getaway: Black Monday was underway at SCE's London Studio. The planned multiplayer component for this PS2 exclusive was ambitious, to say the least. "The idea was that you would come into a pub, a typical east-end pub, and meet up with a group of other likely fellows to decide on quests that you were going to go on, and go off with these people and complete those quests," explains Peter Edward, the senior director for PlayStation Home globally.

Read the whole article here @ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-08-the-story-of-playstation-home

So, given the uncertainty over Home's impact on Sony's bottom line, it's little wonder that the future of the platform itself seems uncertain too. Both Oscar Clark and Daniel Hill say that they don't expect the service to make the transition to PlayStation 4. "My suspicion is that it will probably still have some kind of a life on PS3, but eventually be sunsetted in 2 or 3 years time," Hill explains.

Once again, Peter Edward is the man in the know, but in this case he's also the man who can't say. "As far as PS4 is concerned, I'm not in a position to make any comments on that," Edward tells us. "Home continues to develop and thrive on PlayStation 3. We're still innovating on the platform, we're still putting new features out there. And our developers are working hard to continue producing content for users so there's still lots of interesting stuff for them to do.

photo l_1ac92e40c72f428cb2c1ab1d6c3930c5-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 32 (618 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Re: The story of PlayStation Home on EuroGamer

Nov 8, 2013
This needs to be merged with all the other home on ps4 threads.
It's also the same story that many already know thru all the time it's been floating since homes birth.
In other words. Posting this article.. totally pointless .
Nothing to be learned or gathered here.
- Restless Dreams.
Message 2 of 32 (615 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4422 posts

Nov 8, 2013

And for those of you wondering why we will never get a trophy room here's your answer:

"This is the big learning curve for anyone who wants to do a platform," explains Oscar Clark. "Developers, particularly first party developers, will resent having to use your tools when they have other things on their agenda. The trophy room is a perfect example. The idea was that we'd give away 3D objects within Home to represent the trophies that you'd got on your PlayStation account. But that meant that the game developers had to get their artists - who were already over-busy - to create 3D models specifically for Home for every trophy they produced.

"We had the wrong psychology. We made the assumption that we would be so compelling that everyone would want to do this. But the reality is that other people had too much work to do. Even if they come around to the idea of this being good, how do we make it easy for them to do? And that's why you never saw a trophy room."

Probably the same reason why we see very little game related content also, just no interest by the game developers or no money to produce the content. Smiley Sad 

Thanks for posting doll! Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 32 (598 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3279 posts

Nov 8, 2013

Actually, only snippets of the article are posted here and PS4 is only briefly mentioned.  It's actually a pretty detailed and interesting article if you took the time to read it.  For instance there's a quote from nDreams saying they generate 7 figures annually from Home, that's never been mentioned from any Home developer.

photo rsz_pshomeless1_zpst3ouqfpg.png
Message 4 of 32 (587 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Nov 8, 2013

darkan12-nl wrote:

Both Oscar Clark and Daniel Hill say that they don't expect the service to make the transition to PlayStation 4. "My suspicion is that it will probably still have some kind of a life on PS3, but eventually be sunsetted in 2 or 3 years time," Hill explains.

Once again, Peter Edward is the man in the know, but in this case he's also the man who can't say. "

As far as PS4 is concerned, I'm not in a position to make any comments on that," Edward tells us. "Home continues to develop and thrive on PlayStation 3. We're still innovating on the platform, we're still putting new features out there. And our developers are working hard to continue producing content for users so there's still lots of interesting stuff for them to do.

I think the writing here is on the wall after this comment by some who appear to be in the know. 

Message 5 of 32 (566 Views)
MVP Support
9082 posts

Nov 8, 2013

Interesting article thanks for sharing it.

KANE-FIRE

Message 6 of 32 (526 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Nov 8, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

darkan12-nl wrote:

Both Oscar Clark and Daniel Hill say that they don't expect the service to make the transition to PlayStation 4. "My suspicion is that it will probably still have some kind of a life on PS3, but eventually be sunsetted in 2 or 3 years time," Hill explains.

Once again, Peter Edward is the man in the know, but in this case he's also the man who can't say. "

As far as PS4 is concerned, I'm not in a position to make any comments on that," Edward tells us. "Home continues to develop and thrive on PlayStation 3. We're still innovating on the platform, we're still putting new features out there. And our developers are working hard to continue producing content for users so there's still lots of interesting stuff for them to do.

I think the writing here is on the wall after this comment by some who appear to be in the know. 

Those comments suggest that Home will have a life beyond Spring 2014, so there's no need to make relocation plans now.

The recent flurry of development shows that someone is taking an active interest in Home and how it works. You don't get Challenges and Player Inspect out of nowhere. Those are hefty features to add, from a core programming perspective.

I see the comments from the team as saying this: Home as we currently know it will not transition to the PS4. Something very like Home may be in the PS4's future, but we're not commenting on that right now. That would make sense. The core concept of Home is sound, but the execution has left a lot to be desired for the majority of PS3 owners. It will take a ground-up rebuild to get those who've walked away interested again. Load times are just the tip of the iceberg.

If there will be a new Home on PS4, I doubt we'll hear a thing about it until it's ready for Open Beta. Bashing Home is an armchair sport these days, and Sony won't want to go public with any plans until they're certain they have something that will at least quiet the critics long enough for people to give it a chance.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 7 of 32 (481 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Nov 8, 2013

Monster hunter online for ps2 did the same thing getaway black monday was trying to do, sounds like.

I played the **Bleep** out of that game.

FF14 WAR
Message 8 of 32 (466 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Nov 8, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

darkan12-nl wrote:

Those comments suggest that Home will have a life beyond Spring 2014, so there's no need to make relocation plans now.

The recent flurry of development shows that someone is taking an active interest in Home and how it works. You don't get Challenges and Player Inspect out of nowhere. Those are hefty features to add, from a core programming perspective.

I see the comments from the team as saying this: Home as we currently know it will not transition to the PS4. Something very like Home may be in the PS4's future, but we're not commenting on that right now. That would make sense. The core concept of Home is sound, but the execution has left a lot to be desired for the majority of PS3 owners. It will take a ground-up rebuild to get those who've walked away interested again. Load times are just the tip of the iceberg.

If there will be a new Home on PS4, I doubt we'll hear a thing about it until it's ready for Open Beta. Bashing Home is an armchair sport these days, and Sony won't want to go public with any plans until they're certain they have something that will at least quiet the critics long enough for people to give it a chance.

I hope so. I'd really like to see a new version of the service on PS4. I don't know their comments as to the overall development costs don't sound reassuring. Perhaps Home is making enough money now that they may feel a new version might be worth the effort. 

Going to be some time before we're told and until then I suppose being in Limbo is the name of the game. 

Message 9 of 32 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Nov 8, 2013

There's a big advantage on development costs this time: It's all been done before. Building the first version of something is always much more expensive than building subsequent versions, if only because you know what the feature set will be and how to implement it.

Home has always been an experiment and we've always been the lab rats. That's been part of the fun. As long as the core team keeps trying new ideas, I think there's a very strong chance that something like Home will be a part of the PlaySation ecosystem.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 10 of 32 (445 Views)