Highlighted
Jan 28 2009
By: PeuswahBoy Lombax Warrior 100 posts

The amount of negativity on this board is astounding...

63 replies 49 views Edited Jan 28, 2009
I've been here for a while now, and have noticed a downward trend in the attitude of this community. I'm sure that many of you remember when Home didn't even have it's own subforum.

I remember, distinctly, when people were begging for a taste of Home, regardless of the state it was in. The community was posting any shred of news that it could find, and people gobbled it up. There was a much more positive outlook, and this was a great place to find out all the latest news, from all corners of the Internet.

Fast forwarding to the present...Home has been released in open beta state, and in my opinion has been a great boon to the platform. I know that my friends list has grown exponentially, and I have Home to thank for that. This, of course, is only my experience.

Many users have complained about many aspects of Home, in it's current state, and I have no problem with that. That's one of the purposes of this community forum, after all. The problem I have is that many of the most vocal detractors have been the same people who have been begging for Home, in any state. It seems rather hypocritical to me, and many others here also. Taking yesterdays announcement of the cafe name winner as an example, I was appalled by the negative response, overall. In my opinion, these are things that can bring a community together, or fracture it. I truly feel badly for the mods and dev team. Here they tried to do something, with the naming contest, that could really be a cool participatory event, and instead it blew up into what seemed to be nothing more than a grab at "e-Fame".

My point is that it's still early in the life cycle of Home, and I hope that this will become less of a problem as time goes on. I've come to truly enjoy the community, and truly hope we don't continue to act like the board I saw yesterday. I can only speak for myself, but I found the contest response to be an embarrassment.

Apologies for the long winded nature of this post, but I just wanted to get it off my chest. Kudos to the mods and dev team for being incredibly understanding.
Message 1 of 64 (49 Views)
Sackboy
438 posts

Re: The amount of negativity on this board is astounding...

Jan 28, 2009

I couldn't agree with you more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never Underestimate The Predictability Of Stupidity!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud member of:

signature photo New_Logo_Signature.png
Message 2 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1064 posts

Jan 28, 2009

You're thoughts are dumb. Just kidding

but yeah, this community is definatetly more negative than communities on other websites that I've seen. i think it's all because no one really knows what is going on and that bothers people. People get angry when they don't understand something 

This is why we can't have nice things
Message 3 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1849 posts

Jan 28, 2009
I still say the way Asia gives out prizes is better than the way US gives out prizes, and there is no reason why the US couldn't adopt the same system.  Not to mention the fact that Canada can't even join in.  How does restricting an entire country help bring the community together?
Message Edited by GAMESHARQ on 01-28-2009 10:49 AM
Message 4 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Jan 28, 2009

You do have some very good points, but I can't say the same for enjoying the community that is Home.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with Home, but rather the boring and sheep-like community that inhabits them. I've maybe found one decent person to talk to in Home, but everyone else is either away from their controller, too busy to even wave back at you (seriously), comepletely focused on only talking to girl avatars and asking for their age and locations or just being rude and talking in all caps. Now, I may have just experienced the terrible end of the community, but my experience has only been in ruin due to the users. I think that no matter what Sony does to improve Home, if the community doesn't get better than nothing will change.

Message 5 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jan 28, 2009

And remember that Cyd and Locust were not here at the beginning either.  The downward trend was predicted to happen, and guess what?  The regs of the board were completely correct about it. 

Just when some thought this place couldn't stoop any lower, it does.  I applaud this board.  

Please show me any constructive criticism of home lately.

Message 6 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1849 posts

Jan 28, 2009

jiggyteddy wrote:

See my above post.

Message 7 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jan 28, 2009

GAMESHARQ wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

See my above post.

Sorry Sharq, I should have defined "lately"in the post.  I meant in the past 2 days because this issue has been brought up time and time again.

Not trying to invalidate it, but it isn't anything new.  No offense, I don't mean it negatively, but I don't know how else to phrase it. 

Message Edited by jiggyteddy on 01-28-2009 08:10 AM
Message 8 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
560 posts

Jan 28, 2009

I'll admit that I was one of the protesters about the new cafe. But I wasn't mad because my name wasn't chosen but the fact that it really wasn't a nice name to begin with. I really felt that the name that someone else came up with, which might also be copywritten called "Homebrew" was a really good name.

I just couldn't see myself telling my friends "lets go to the Sixaxis"?? When I told them about the cafe name we all started calling it "Controller". We all felt that the choice wasn't the greatest one for something like a cafe, an underground club maybe but not a cafe.

But hey I'm glad that the guy won the contest, but I complained to my friends in home not here because it was something to talk about in a rather boring social network. The problem I have is that we get more social activities in these forums and not enough social activity in home itself. They should either move the forum to the Home User Datapad or close down home altogether. I see more intelligent topic's spoken here then in home itself this is because there is no news for the average home use to talk about.

Message 9 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jan 28, 2009

MarkSinister wrote:

I'll admit that I was one of the protesters about the new cafe. But I wasn't mad because my name wasn't chosen but the fact that it really wasn't a nice name to begin with. I really felt that the name that someone else came up with, which might also be copywritten called "Homebrew" was a really good name.

Do you think that, if they did name it "Homebrew" that they would let us take our PSP's in there?  Smiley Tongue

For those who don't understand that please read this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psp_homebrew

Message 10 of 64 (49 Views)
0 Likes