May 14 2007
By: The-Phantom~ Splicer 54 posts

The Potential of Folding@home at Home.

15 replies 10 views Edited May 14, 2007
Just some ideas:

If you break a rule in Home, as punishment, you have to serve a certain amount of time in Folding@home. Kind of like community service.

You should get Home money from "working" in Folding@home which then can be used to buy furniture.

Using the stated methods above, Sony can seriously help out the Folding@home project.

Any more ideas?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
247 posts

Re: The Potential of Folding@home at Home.

May 14, 2007
Yeah but Sony could do that if they wanted to help out.  I think it would be a good idea just because (and I don't want to sound selfish here but) I want sometihng besides a certificate for completing 83 Work Units.  I think this would be a great way to get more people folding.  Besides, what would Sony have to lose?  It's not like they can't be affected in their lives by cancer or alsheimer's just because they are a big company.  Everybody benefits from protein folding.  Plus, right now there's not much reason for people to leave their PS3's on, running up their electric bills.
Message 2 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

May 14, 2007
Exactly.
Message 3 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 15, 2007
    Hmmm....

I think the folding@Home idea is a good thing, even if it is just for trophys and stuff for maybe 50hours, 100 hours etc.

I cannot however see them being able to properly implement community service type things for misbehaviour. I think a nice temp ban or something could turn people off doing mishaps again but I can see the complaints coming in from people if they do implement it.

Just my 2cents anyway ^_^
Message 4 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
616 posts

May 15, 2007
Why should helping cure cancer be a punishment?  Also, there are a lot of people who want to do folding so how is that a punishment anyway?  They'd just keep doing what they got in trouble for since all they'd have to do is fold proteins as a punishment.  A ban is more likely.

PS3 owner since 12/7/06 | G.A.P member since 2004
PLAY B3YOND
Message 5 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

May 15, 2007
Yes, but they'd be forced to fold before going back into home. So they'd be losing time in Home, which would dissuade them from breaking rules.
Message 6 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

May 16, 2007

The-Phantom wrote:
Yes, but they'd be forced to fold before going back into home. So they'd be losing time in Home, which would dissuade them from breaking rules.

While I feel the concept of Folding is a noble one in striving for cures to disease you should remember that use of the program is optional.  Not everyone is using it for what amounts to many reasons some of which include ...

1) System life ...I know the PS3 boasts an always on capability and that's all good and true however, it is undeniable that any electronic devise has a shelf life so to speak.  That being how many hours you can expect to get out said device over the course of its life.  Simply put a lot of people are not willing to keep their systems on excessively, reducing that shelf life to contribute to the project.  Maybe future additions to the PSN will change that but Folding did not.

2) Electric Bill ...Anyone who pays their own monthy electric bill and has ran Folding for extended periods of time has more then likely noticed an increase.  For some it can be rather small and might go without notice but for others it can be a fairly large increase depending on how old of an apartment or house you live in.  The factors here are many.

In the end I think if sony tried to force individuals to use Folding for an idea such as this a lot of people will simply be turned off by it and not bother with home at all.  Nor do I think the good men and women of Stanford University would agree with trying to force the program on people as it is strictly voluntary.  Forcing people to earn "credits" so to speak for rule violations ....No offense but if any idea belongs in the stupid idea thread its this one.

On a more positive and reasonable note ...Trophies for usage in terms of hours or credits earned is an amicable idea that I don't think anyone would have a problem with. 
Message 7 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
483 posts

May 16, 2007

Lymaster wrote:

The-Phantom wrote:

While I feel the concept of Folding is a noble one in striving for cures to disease you should remember that use of the program is optional.  Not everyone is using it for what amounts to many reasons some of which include ...

1) System life ...I know the PS3 boasts an always on capability and that's all good and true however, it is undeniable that any electronic devise has a shelf life so to speak.  That being how many hours you can expect to get out said device over the course of its life.  Simply put a lot of people are not willing to keep their systems on excessively, reducing that shelf life to contribute to the project.  Maybe future additions to the PSN will change that but Folding did not.

2) Electric Bill ...Anyone who pays their own monthy electric bill and has ran Folding for extended periods of time has more then likely noticed an increase.  For some it can be rather small and might go without notice but for others it can be a fairly large increase depending on how old of an apartment or house you live in.  The factors here are many.

In the end I think if sony tried to force individuals to use Folding for an idea such as this a lot of people will simply be turned off by it and not bother with home at all.  Nor do I think the good men and women of Stanford University would agree with trying to force the program on people as it is strictly voluntary.  Forcing people to earn "credits" so to speak for rule violations ....No offense but if any idea belongs in the stupid idea thread its this one.

On a more positive and reasonable note ...Trophies for usage in terms of hours or credits earned is an amicable idea that I don't think anyone would have a problem with. 

Yeah trophies are a good idea, but it's the developer's choice to include them, just like all the other games that might have trophies. But wouldn't the prize be the cure of cancer? Everyone could die from it some day.

Also, not everyone has Folding@Home. It's an optional download.

If you were smart enough to read this sentence forward, put it in your sig.
Message 8 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
483 posts

May 16, 2007
That wouldn't happen. Why? Because Folding@Home is owned and developed by the men and women at Stanford University. They're concentrated on curing cancer. They wouldn't do anything related to video gaming.

Sweet! 130 Posts! Polygon! I like the green!

Message Edited by Major_Nono on 05-16-2007 06:09 AM

If you were smart enough to read this sentence forward, put it in your sig.
Message 9 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6793 posts

May 16, 2007

Lymaster wrote:

The-Phantom wrote:

no one is forced to do anything
Message 10 of 16 (10 Views)
0 Likes