Jun 02 2013
By: Xxslick1GP Splicer 84 posts

The Original Idea of Home

11 replies 5096 views Edited Jun 2, 2013

Ok can someone please please tell me what home was originally made for? and how it ended up to being an alternate reality? just wondering lol. Any answer is a right one so no worries.

Message 1 of 12 (5,096 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3279 posts

Re: The Original Idea of Home

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

Home was originally named 'Hub', and started as a 2D online lobby for the Playstation 2 game, The Getaway: Black Monday. However, the online userbase for the PlayStation 2 was too narrow and the project was soon ported to the PSN for the PS3. Phil Harrison, then president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, liked the idea of having a virtual 3D community hub for PlayStation gamers, and transferred the project to become PlayStation Home. In a 2007 keynote speech, Phil Harrison used the term "Game 3.0" to describe the service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Home

photo rsz_pshomeless1_zpst3ouqfpg.png
Message 2 of 12 (4,641 Views)
Wastelander
609 posts

Jun 2, 2013

kudos on the info best. This gives me a great idea for a home bio pic. From its origins to ps3 to now. If i had better recording and editing software, i'd do it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 12 (2,644 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3152 posts

Jun 4, 2013

bestscreenname wrote:

Home was originally named 'Hub', and started as a 2D online lobby for the Playstation 2 game, The Getaway: Black Monday. However, the online userbase for the PlayStation 2 was too narrow and the project was soon ported to the PSN for the PS3. Phil Harrison, then president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, liked the idea of having a virtual 3D community hub for PlayStation gamers, and transferred the project to become PlayStation Home. In a 2007 keynote speech, Phil Harrison used the term "Game 3.0" to describe the service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Home

One thing that the wiki doesn't mention, is that the Backbone for the program... (the engine so to speak) was sold to "sony" so to speak cause the Makers could not afford to pay the Devs they had working on the project... yet the Project had such potential, it is kinda a good thing the Folks Sold out, other wise HOME would have died with the Game it was being tested for... 

Home has never been an alternate reality... Yet Xi was an Alternate reality game... the people in home, no matter how stupid they act are real people... there is nothing alternate in reality about that... more close to reality then most game programs now a days get... not saying all the content in HOME is realistic, nor the way some people act, yet real time and real people... that makes real, not alternative reality... 

Photobucket
Message 4 of 12 (269 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Jun 4, 2013
You cannot read that purple font .
Message 5 of 12 (238 Views)
I Only Post Everything
676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2013

Sony demoed Home before it was released, and one of the main features was streaming video and music from your HDD to share with your friends. I think a trophy room was in the works too, for the gamers. Although the bowling alley is one of the original ideas that is stiill here today.

Not sure about PS2, but Home on PS3 was originally to connect and socialize with other gamers. I think the Gamers Lounge was a great space for that, but they removed it since I joined.

Message 6 of 12 (213 Views)
Fender Bender
3152 posts

Jun 4, 2013

Sorry about the Font... Is this better? (you can highlight any font if its that hard to read) 

UltraPSX wrote:

Sony demoed Home before it was released, and one of the main features was streaming video and music from your HDD to share with your friends. I think a trophy room was in the works too, for the gamers. Although the bowling alley is one of the original ideas that is still here today.

Not sure about PS2, but Home on PS3 was originally to connect and socialize with other gamers. I think the Gamers Lounge was a great space for that, but they removed it since I joined.

They talk about the trophy room and sharing movies, pictures and music in the Old Home promos... I think they even planned HOME to have trophy support at one time, yet there were so many issues... 

On the PS2 Home (or the Hub, what ever it was called) was meant for Gamers of a particular game to meet and greet, (hence the reason there were no Female avis in the early tests.) Yet People involved realized that the program had great potential, yet the Potential they ran with was money based instead of Socially Game based... Not saying HOME is not socially game based now, yet it is not primarily game based, which is where I think they went wrong... Sure its nice to talk about other things in game, yet the focus should be gaming... and they have pulled away from that a bit to much...

And yes the Gamers Lounge was a great space... along with many other game based spaces that have disappeared... 

Photobucket
Message 7 of 12 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Jun 4, 2013
Patchex, hello and yes turquoise looks better Smiley Happy
(Sory for offtopic post)
Support Forums
Message 8 of 12 (154 Views)
Sackboy
362 posts

Jun 5, 2013

Just an FYI, you people need to stop getting your info from wikipedia cause this is so incorrect on so many levels that it actually makes me laugh so hard my sides hurt and what's even funnier is you believe what they have written there.. Wikipedia is the most inaccurate, misinformed source for any information on the internet you can find and yet so many of you use it like its the word. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 9 of 12 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Jun 5, 2013
It doesn't matter anymore.

When management decided to take down the Gamers Lounge I lost hope for Home.

Yeah, lame excuse of saying "Outdated coding".

Hopefully Home dies soon.

YB

Message 10 of 12 (118 Views)
0 Likes