Survivor
2284 posts

Re: The Official HomeStation Magazine (HSM) Thread

Aug 27, 2011

Whst did you (KatCall and Patchex) think of Orion's game review:  http://www.hsmagazine.net/2011/08/flower-relax-and-float-downstream/  that appeared in HSM last week? 

I was inspired by that description of Orion's personal experience of that game to want to buy it.  I think that is what Norse meant by what the HSM editors look for in a game review.  So, how do you feel about that style of game reviewing?  Since I occasionally write game reviews for HSM (did you read the one I wrote about RedDead Redemption?), I appreciate the feedback.

Message 70 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Well, I think it's a good idea to branch into gaming outside of Home, not only to offer more content but it might help inspire these game companies to create more content for Home.  For example, I can't understand why they've not made a Flower personal space.  Just seems a no-brainer to me.  Just a simple field of flowers, maybe a few wind-turbines.  It would be beautiful, and nothing else would be like it.

The biggest problem I can see, as a writer, would be to find information that's not already known.  With that, the more I'm thinking about Patchex's suggestion of Journey, the more I'm liking it.  Being it's a Sony exclusive, we actually have a shot at getting one of us in to interview someone in that team.  That would make a fantastic article.

Message 71 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Aug 27, 2011

"how about a space for console gamers to gather?  A place to talk about RPGs?  And puzzle games like heavy Rain?  And long, involved horror story games like the Silent Hill Series?"

Wow, did you have a crystal ball or something?

Message 72 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Where did you get that quote, Kat???  Those are some of my favorite games.

Message 73 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Aug 27, 2011

NorseGamer wrote:

Aloha, HSM readers!

Today's article, written by CheekyGuy, is an interview with NOH8, an LGBT gaming clan in PlayStation Home that gives everyone a run for their money. Think napalm mixed with Nyan Cat. Yeah, that's right.

Also, there's an announcement you might want to check out as well.

Written from the HomeStation,

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

For those who may not know of this project. 

I know It Gets Better -

JPConway

Message 74 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Aug 27, 2011

Keara22HI wrote:

Where did you get that quote, Kat???  Those are some of my favorite games.

From you, in your RDR review.  You pretty much describe the upcoming Home update.

Message 75 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Aug 27, 2011

KatCall75 wrote:

The biggest problem I can see, as a writer, would be to find information that's not already known.  With that, the more I'm thinking about Patchex's suggestion of Journey, the more I'm liking it.  Being it's a Sony exclusive, we actually have a shot at getting one of us in to interview someone in that team.  That would make a fantastic article.

This where writing from a "how it made you feel" stance - to Norse's point - comes in. For example, I could describe the 2.3 liter, turbocharged engine in my Saab 9-5 in great detail, from bore/stroke of the pistons, to horsepower, torque and fuel economy. But who'd find that interesting to read, when they're specs that can be found anywhere on the Web? My own eyes would bleed from the boredom of writing it.

What is far more interesting is the story of how shortly after purchasing it, I was cruising along US Route 1, believing I was doing the speed limit - I happened to be the only car on this particular stretch - until, that is, I looked down at my spedometer and had the shock of my life. Because I wasn't going the posted 50MPH speed limit. I was doing 75. And yet the car made it feel as if we were just floating along road, much like the petals in Flower floating in the breeze; the engine sounding as if it were barely running. Or I can tell you how on cool, crisp autumn mornings in New England, the turbo whistles a merry tune when you do decide that your foot is made out of lead.

This is the kind of color we're looking for in a game review at HSM. And I'm not going to spoil it here, but Estim20 has submitted a review that illustrates this beautifully. Keep an eye out for it.

Message 76 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Aug 27, 2011

I love what you guys write. It's a gift you share with everyone when you have the ability to convey one's thoughts in words that make everyone love to read what you have to say.

HomeStation has set the bar for Home Publications. It can compete with the best out there regardless of genre in my view. You all should be very proud. Norse has done a wonderful job of getting together a very talented team!

Kudo's!

Joanna

Message 77 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Aloha, HSM readers!

Today's article is an examination of the changes in the gaming industry at large -- how cloud computing, digital downloads, microtransactions, and the Great Recession have all combined to form a perfect storm in which Home can emerge as not just a successful business model, but indeed a successful template for the entire industry to follow.

Also, we've updated an exciting announcement from yesterday, so you might want to take a peek.

Written from the HomeStation,

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 78 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3473 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Keara22HI wrote:

Whst did you (KatCall and Patchex) think of Orion's game review:  http://www.hsmagazine.net/2011/08/flower-relax-and-float-downstream/  that appeared in HSM last week? 

I was inspired by that description of Orion's personal experience of that game to want to buy it.  I think that is what Norse meant by what the HSM editors look for in a game review.  So, how do you feel about that style of game reviewing?  Since I occasionally write game reviews for HSM (did you read the one I wrote about RedDead Redemption?), I appreciate the feedback.

I like reading about games, yet I do find that Flower article a bit drawn out in a few places, also the same is true for the Answer Mr. Norse gave me. I like flower alot, and maybe it would be different if I hadnt played the game yet, the discription is a little over board, yet it was structured well, and Flows... From the peeks at the mag I have seen most of the articles are to long and drawn out... I game, so time is of the essence... can you deliver the same feeling with some of the articles/reviews yet make them less time consuming... the Mag is very long...

Photobucket
Message 79 of 926 (271 Views)
0 Likes