Feb 20 2013
By: ILLUMIN-X Fender Bender 3241 posts

The Never Ending Home and the PS4 Question

110 replies 1067 views Edited Feb 20, 2013

Ok this is the 3rd source that I've heard say the same exact thing in the last 2 months about the PS4 or Orbis.

One thing that is questionable, is if the Home app will require a subscription as highlighted in red.

Still no positive confirmation on if Home will be included as an optional app feature, but according to two of 3 sources it will be.

All rumors should be treated as such, although this one is backed up by more photos of the rumored touchpad-enabled DualShock 4, viewable below.

original33.jpg

Here’s what the source claims:

• The PlayStation 4 will be out this November in the United States.
  • Pricing won’t be announced until later this year, but the current plan is to release two versions at $429 and $529. This may change. No details on what is different, but presumably it’s the HDD size.
  • You will be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone, this includes using the mobile to chat with your PS4 buddies or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your PS4
  • “Most” of the PS4′s online features will require a premium subscription to use, and this new premium online service will be called PlayStation World. It will replace PlayStation Plus.
  • Every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye. No word on how much better this camera will be to the current one.
  • A new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your PS4′s dashboard. You don’t have to own their games to watch.
  • The PS4 will support local network play via Vita.

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-w...

Message 1 of 111 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3855 posts

Re: The Never Ending Home and the PS4 Question

Feb 20, 2013
;^) More news is always welcome, even if there's no way to be sure yet. Dunno how I feel about Home becoming a paid service. Maybe if they give everyone the option to opt out, and cash out their purchases....
Message 2 of 111 (1,039 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Feb 20, 2013

I'd prefer to see a Home than no Home at all. Hard to know what is coming but I suspect we'll start finding out a lot of things pretty soon. 

Message 3 of 111 (1,027 Views)
Fender Bender
2705 posts

Feb 20, 2013

I wouldn't assume that Home will be a paid service. The Playstation World mentioned in the article was used before by Playstation as a magazine now defunct.

It's interesting to speculate on what might be announced tomorrow or in the future. Despite my initial disgust at the recent update, I am very much looking forward tomorrow to the SONY Feb 20th announcement. I am looking to see if cloud storage is mentioned and if it is (or not) whether PS3 games will be available in the cloud, or PS4 games. And if PS3 games, then Home. Backwards compatibility? We shall see, maybe not tomorrow but in the future. 

Whatever it is I figure it's going to cost too much but that's subjective and depends on a person's circumstances and what it does. 

They may announce nothing specific and I can go back to being disappointed and at times perhaps disgusted. 

In memory of Jody Westover and all those who fight or have fought cancer

Message 4 of 111 (1,016 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Feb 20, 2013

If there isn't a Home, then I guess to anyone who has enjoyed Home the past few years can say they had fun and lots of memories.

Though, it's hard to say what's coming right now since there's no actual prove of Home reaching the PS4.

Though as most, the rumors and side sources all say Home will a premium pay based thing. 

I also heard something about them leaving the Home servers up as we know now, then having the premium version as well.

Message 5 of 111 (1,011 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3410 posts

Feb 20, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

Ok this is the 3rd source that I've heard say the same exact thing in the last 2 months about the PS4 or Orbis.

One thing that is questionable, is if the Home app will require a subscription as highlighted in red.

Still no positive confirmation on if Home will be included as an optional app feature, but according to two of 3 sources it will be.

All rumors should be treated as such, although this one is backed up by more photos of the rumored touchpad-enabled DualShock 4, viewable below.

original33.jpg

• Pricing won’t be announced until later this year, but the current plan is to release two versions at $429 and $529. This may change. No details on what is different, but presumably it’s the HDD size.
  • You will be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone, this includes using the mobile to chat with your PS4 buddies or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your PS4
  • “Most” of the PS4′s online features will require a premium subscription to use, and this new premium online service will be called PlayStation World. It will replace PlayStation Plus.
  • Every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye. No word on how much better this camera will be to the current one.
  • A new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your PS4′s dashboard. You don’t have to own their games to watch.

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-w...

Not sure about a premium subscription, PSN is a "Free service" and I really hope it stays that way. I don't want to pay >_>

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 6 of 111 (1,010 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28872 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

Sony has always said that Home will remain free.

Never believe rumors until they have been proven to be true by an official. Until then, all we'll have is repetitive speculation and rumor mongering.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 7 of 111 (1,003 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Making Home a subscription service would be the death of it.

Message 8 of 111 (999 Views)
I Only Post Everything
676 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

LunarEmerald wrote:

Making Home a subscription service would be the death of it.

I agree, the only thing they could start charging for is club subscriptions (although disclaimer has been there for years). Club system would probably need to be beefed up for that to happen. A paywall may keep people already heavily invested but not earn new regulars. 3rd party devs probably want it free too so it makes buying items and add-ons more digestible. It has always been a freemium / microtransaction service and changing to a subscription would likely kill it. Also, free online play is one of the best things they have over Xbox.

Message 9 of 111 (966 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Feb 20, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

original33.jpg

I'm sorry what does this have to do with Home?  I've said this many times now but people don't seem to get it.  The last thing that Sony is going to put on the PS4 is the software there for Home will be one of the last things Sony puts on the PS4 before it gets shiped off to us.  There for Sony most likely still have not made up there mind to put Home on the PS4 or not.    If the rumor of the PS4 or Orbis is to come out in Nov then Sony has a lot of time to see Home well Home is doing before they put it on the PS4/Orbis or not.

Going by the past the Nov date will most likely be postpone remember the X-box 360, PS3 and Wii?  There where all postpone so it's very likely that this date is not set in stone and will be pushed off at lest once.

But again I hope Sony can make a bigger and better VR world for the PS4.  Home is already outdated and I know Sony can do better.  Most of the big things we where told we where going to get in Home where A: late or B: we still have not got yet.   It would be very hard to run Home on the PS3 and PS4 both at the same time and I just don't think it's a good idea.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 10 of 111 (956 Views)